Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To address unemployment, Georgia governor proposes farm work

June 2, 2011

Are you out of work? Are you looking for a job? Do you live in Georgia?

If the answer to those questions is "yes," Gov. Nathan Deal has an idea for you: Become a farm worker.

"We still have an unemployment level here that is unacceptably high, whether or not we can provide some way of transitioning some of those individuals," Deal said last week.

"Perhaps it requires some relocation in some cases for them to be able to fill some of these jobs. We're going to explore all of those things."

Deal is looking for ways to fill a farm worker gap after some areas lost more than 50% of their laborers, the Georgia Fruit and Vegetable Growers Association said. Many workers left Georgia after the governor signed an Arizona-inspired immigration law allowing local police to identify and detain illegal immigrants, the group said.

Other countries have tried similar ideas to stimulate growth. Japan has a program to put young underemployed workers on farms during the summer. The program was moderately successful until a tsunami hit the country in March.

In Colorado, 1,799 U.S. citizens applied for farm jobs in 2009, according to the state's Department of Labor and Employment. That was up from 39 in 2008, although state officials say the number again fell in 2010 to the "low hundreds."

With a 9.6% unemployment rate in Georgia, University of Georgia Economist Jeff Humphries thinks the governor's plan could work.

"Employers have the upper hand, and people looking for jobs are more desperate than ever before," Humphries said. "Given that unemployment benefits are starting to run out for an increasing number of workers...this is the best time to try it out."

For some unemployed Georgians, however, the idea is not so appealing.

Marci Mosley, who lives in Atlanta, has been out of work for more than a year. She said she would only work on a farm as a last resort.

"I have a phobia of snakes," Mosley said. "I hate spiders...You have to get up early in the morning, and it's hot."

Mosley, an African-American, said she used to work on her grandfather's farm in Texas, where he stressed the importance of a good education to get off the farm. Mosley believes Deal's plan would be a tough sell for many other African Americans, who saw their older relatives struggle farming.

Filed/discharged/closed Chapter 7 in 2010!

On paper looks reasonable - in reality, is share-cropping far behind??? Or worse....

Comment

I was denied unemployment benefits in Georgia. I suppose they will want to send me to the fields.

Comment

I am still awaiting my answer from unemployment. The state has made it extremely difficult. Most likely I will lose my condo and have to move my two kids out of state and move in with family.

Comment

Debtisbad and fairypor..even in GA They can't just deny unemplyment...did they give a reason?

Comment

Iamold,

I am old too In Georgia they can fire you for anything and whatever they say is denial of unemployment. I am a nurse. I never was late, had 2 absences in 3 years (with doc notes), no medication errors, many friends at the facility and someone in administration decided to go after me. I had never even worked with this person! I just got my unemployment info back yesterday and was denied. I appealed and have to go before a tribunal in Atlanta (I chose face to face as I want to see these jokers lie). Anyway probably wasting my time. I am sure I have po'd them as the director now has to attend the hearing I am told. I am sure I will get glared at. Bring it on!

Comment

Debtisbad good on the appeal! I know this varies SOMWHAT State by state, but generally you are entitled to unemployment except for "gross misconduct"....i take it you are not unionized.....

Do you have copies of ur eployment appraisals? Also I believe that you can also summon witnesses...i can help if needed...

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X