credit check for employment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

credit check for employment

Well guys, I think I finally ran into this myself...I am - thankfully - employed at a good F/T but one of my P/T jobs had a F/T opening - behold the online background check "form" needs a credit report - the 22 year old recruiter at HQ is clueless, and I asked, is this going to effect my present P/T job? She said she really doens't know. Wouldn't that be hoot - because of my "greed" I lose this P/T I had since 2005!!!

So I emailed my boss locally, with whom I'm supposed to be speaking with anyway later today...I sure hope I didn't screw myself royally....

By the way, the job has ZERO NOTHING to do with $$, and has no access to $$ or employee records or the such...

Wow Old..........the hits just keep on comin' for ya. Thought you were trying to drop some of that income for filing? Your getting closer. Hope it all works out with the credit check, let us know.
    Filed CH 7 4/15/11
    341 5/23/11
    DISCHARGED & CLOSED ON 7/27/11

Comment

I hope it all works out for you as well. Did you sign the FCRA form? Couldn't you cross out the part about pulling credit and write a note that says, please contact me before pulling my credit report? Then you will be able to explain to the right person...of course that could raise a red flag...ack who knows...good luck to you! I'm sure I'll be in the same boat soon as well, not looking forward to having the conversation with a future employer!
      Chapter 7 Filed: 04/21/2011, 341 Meeting: 05/31/2011, Report of No Distrubution: 06/02/2011, Discharged: 08/03/2011, Closed: 08/10/11

Comment

Sunshinepa and Disconapper THANKS SO MUCH!!!! Well the thing is I'm pre-BK for now, (ME not spouse) so my credit looks toxic :-) DId have the talk with the current P/T director who would be my F/T director were the job to go this way - turns out - (I've had this P/T position for over 7 years) that "HQ" put this stupid credit check etc in for F/T ee's only 4 years ago.

So I told him the whole deal - he was fine with it but couldn't speak for "corporate" - he didn't think - and I don't think that it should/would effect my present P/T job...so that's good...we'll see...if they don't pay at least as what I'm making now, alas I cannot take it anyway.

And yes, SUnshinepa, I do need to be under a certain $$/mo, but I want that to be my choice not theirs!!!

We'll see - we haven't talked $$ yet, just "ranges."

I'm not complaining though to say the least! Thank God I've got a job, and many many people don't.

I will let you guys know how it turns out!!!

Re the form - it was all online, and the whole credit check business was on the last page - the thing is, I had a "background" check where it looked like they'd pull credit last year, and it was used SOLELY to make sure that you are you - and that was a big multinational!

Comment

I would think if you know the boss and they have seen your work , they won't care about your credit history. If you are new to the company and interviewing, then you have to talk a good game to get inside.

I am running into this type of situation when looking for places to rent. Most seem ok with my bad credit and foreclosure, as long as I have a big down and can show proof of employment. However, many realtors are playing what I am sure is a bluff game, telling me that they have 2 or 3 credit applications from other prospective renters. I ask them why then are they still showing the place, they say it's because they are in the process of reviewing the credit app and the people have bad credit, so they are evaulating the apps. Often this is before I tell them I have bad credit, so they don't realize they just turned me off with that likely BS or possibly truthful line.

Comment

Helpme thanks!!!! well, the thing is it's a HUGE outfit with "rules." But I still have to see if financially and otherwise it makes sense. i did what I normally do - jumped before I thought... :-)

Re renting - that sounds like bs, especially if they all say the same thing...I mean you would think they'd come up with a new script, right?! :-)

Comment

Agreed. The script is lame. I am finding high rental prices, but most of these places stay on the market for awhile, then I watch as they drop the prices. Usually the prices are dropping for the crappy houses in crappy locations (of course). So it's really like job hunting, just a massive numbers game. The more you look, the better your odds of finding the right opportunity.

If you can sell yourself, you may get around that rules thing. Especially if your boss is pretty high up the chain and you can show what you have done so far. But again, sometimes things happen. Never shoot yourself for making a mistake during an interview either. I make them all the time and there are so many variables and you are thinking so many steps in so many directions, that it is really easy to say the wrong thing or leap before you think. Just stay positive and keep trying. Good luck and keep the updates coming.

Comment

THANKS!!! It's just that I don't want to lose the P/T thing...ah - honestly, it's the commute that's driving this BUT we'll see - it's not a huge deal if it doesn't come through.

I'll let you know!!!

Comment

Originally posted by helpme2010 View Post
                  I would think if you know the boss and they have seen your work , they won't care about your credit history. If you are new to the company and interviewing, then you have to talk a good game to get inside.

I am running into this type of situation when looking for places to rent. Most seem ok with my bad credit and foreclosure, as long as I have a big down and can show proof of employment. However, many realtors are playing what I am sure is a bluff game, telling me that they have 2 or 3 credit applications from other prospective renters. I ask them why then are they still showing the place, they say it's because they are in the process of reviewing the credit app and the people have bad credit, so they are evaulating the apps. Often this is before I tell them I have bad credit, so they don't realize they just turned me off with that likely BS or possibly truthful line.
                  Helpme, I am going the same route, thru realtors. The problem is how many application fees am I gonna have to pay? What I am doing is when I find a property I want my hubby to check out when he gets to NC this weekend, I email the agent and give them a brief synopsis of my credit and make sure the homeowner will be okay with it. No sense wasting my time and the app fee if it's a non-starter.

I am leery of telling people I am pre-bk, so I am telling them that we are trying to get loan mods on our home and rentals (stopped paying in Jan), and to do that we also had to default on our credit cards because the banks want you to be in default all across the board. That we are awaiting NODs to start the loan mod process, since my research showed that was the best way. Who knows, maybe we will go that route, nothing is set in stone. But since we haven't filed yet, I am afraid the homeowners would fear we will move in, stop paying, and discharge the rent in our bk. They don't realize we have to live somewhere, and we need rent payments to get our chapter 7! The realtors I have broached this with have all said, "So many people are in your situation now a days, it is usually not that big a deal." BUT, haven't actually tried to apply for anything yet. Oh, we are also offering first, last, and deposit. Most places don't ask for the last month anymore.

Comment

Credit Checks and Bankruptcy

Although other black marks can be used against you, a bankruptcy, technically, cannot. Under Title 11 of the U.S. Code, employers are prohibited from discriminating against someone who has filed for bankruptcy. Because most people have trouble paying their bills before they file, this is often a moot point -- the employer can point to the history as the reason for the adverse action. If an employer cites your bankruptcy as the reason you were fired, not hired or denied a promotion, though, you might want to consult a labor attorney about a lawsuit.

An employer is supposed to tell you if credit information is used against you. If an employer uses credit information to deny an applicant a job, fire a current employee, rescind a job offer or cancel a promotion, federal law requires the employer to do two things:

1. Before the adverse action is actually taken, the employer is supposed to provide the worker with a copy of the report and an explanation of the worker's rights under the law.

2. After the action is taken, the worker must be told which company provided the credit information, given contact information and told he or she has a right to dispute the report's accuracy.

Rather than go through all this, of course, many employers find a less-complicated excuse to give you, or they simply do not give you a reason why you weren't hired.

The law is relevant. Companies check and they'll just say, "Sorry, we found a more suitable candidate" even when a credit check is the issue.

Comment

IamOld, just wondering how things went, did you get the job? I hope the credit check thing is a mute point for you. Best of Luck
                      Chapter 7 filed 11/4/10 ---- 341 Meeting 12/1/10 ---- Discharge 1/31/2011.

Comment

Thank you Fallenedward - the credit check didn't matter for this job as it turns out - the problem is it turned out to have come with $14K less than what I'm making now...so I stayed put :-)

Comment

So happy to hear that the the credit check didn't matter for you and bummer that the job payed $14K less. I know the offer that hubby just accepted they lowballed him but he kept negotiating back and further to get the money up closer to reality.

Originally posted by IamOld View Post
                          Thank you Fallenedward - the credit check didn't matter for this job as it turns out - the problem is it turned out to have come with $14K less than what I'm making now...so I stayed put :-)
                          Chapter 7 filed 11/4/10 ---- 341 Meeting 12/1/10 ---- Discharge 1/31/2011.

Comment

Quite a few companies conduct what they call a "consumer check" which includes a credit check. However, in some states a credit check is illegal hiring practice. A credit check isn't really designed to predict a person's work performance but is designed to weigh in on the likelihood of a new hire taking bribes do to his/her financial situation. You'd be amazed at the sort of things "respectable" people will do when they are in debt up to their eyeballs. If you're concerned about not getting a job because of having bad credit, just address the situation with the hiring manager after a job offer is made and accepted, an exception may be made. Worse case scenario the employer will have to rescind the offer.
                            The information provided is not, and should not be considered legal advice. All information provided is only informational and should be verified by a law practioner whenever possible. When confronted with legal issues contact an experienced attorney in your state who specializes in the area of law most directly called into question by your particular situation.

Comment

There's a big difference between background checks and credit checks I've come to know. I was sweating bullets about my background check and asked for the copy. It had nothing to do with credit but essentially a verification of employment, education and I wasn't a felon!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X