Only 2 more checks-thankfully this forum taught me to buy for the future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Only 2 more checks-thankfully this forum taught me to buy for the future

Only 2 more checks until I lose UI. And I do not want to leave this house until it is foreclosed on. Since I have heard nothing, and MN law saws it will be 6 months after the sheriff's sale - I am so thankful this forum advised me to buy what I would need for 6 months. Most of the monies from UI that I have received are in the bank and I will be able to wait out the time.

It is possible that I will find a job but after 2 years of looking, and landing 2 part time temp jobs, I am doubtful that I will find something within the next 2 weeks. BUT - I have food and neccesities to sustain me while I wait for the foreclosure - and then I will move on.

Just wish that age discrimination was not in place. At 57, I have been unable to find anything, except for the 2 temp jobs. Hope this country realizes that those of us who are 'elders' are those that kept this country running for a long, long time and will take care of us in the end. Don't think it will happen but still hope.

Hi discouraged, I am right there with your frustration with the age discrimination. I am 58 and will be 59 in a couple of months. I too, have been 'passed over' for the far younger and inexperienced set. And in our county, our unemployment is around 13%. With the major 'good' employers being forced into huge budget cuts, I don't foresee a gainful job in my future at all. I just am hoping and praying that my PT job doesn't get cut.
    "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

I just hope and pray that I can get even a part time job. Anything at all woulld help. If I can't, I will have to go live with family, which I know it is good they are there, but I have lived alone for over 10 years and really do not want to live with anyone. But, will if I have to I guess.

I have enough savings to live on for 6 months but that is it at this point.

Comment

I wish you again all the best - keep sending out resumes far and wide...you never know. MN is now really bad because of the gov't shutdown...

Comment

I am somewhat limited, but just slightly, to where I can work at this point. It has to be within bus service as my car is not dependable. It works, but it is old 1992. But, there is good transportation available. The one job that was pretty certain was outside of bus service so I could not take it.

But - that is unusual here.

I am constantly sending out resumes and with my experience hope that something will come through. Yes, the government shut down is very bad, especially in this economy. Will never understand those folks.

Comment

Getting up there with you into my mid-50's and feeling your pain. Good luck to all of us.

Keep On Smilin'

Comment

Definitely a difficult situation. Where are you guys looking for jobs?

Comment

Career Builder, MN State, USA Gov, City of St Paul, U of M, Ramsey County, MN Council of Nonprofits, MN Diversity, USA Jobs...I could go on and on.

Comment

MN seems like it's bad news now...BU BUT BUT - if the state folks go back to work...maybe things will pick up a bit...

Comment

It is possible that things will get better. But, I will soon be 58 and have not worked, except for temp jobs, since 10/2008. Those temp jobs saved me and when UI is done, I will re-apply to all the agencies. Sad to say, you are penalized here if you take temp jobs other than government ones. In fact, the first one was a county job and when it ended, UI fought my getting benefits because I was 'let go'. It took a supervisor to recognize that county can only hire you as a temp for 6 months max per year before they re-established benefits. This made going back on easier when the next temp job, for the city, was done but I swear, the people they hire at UI here are not always the brightest.

We'll see what happens. I am not giving up hope!

Comment

You know I am a born pessimist :-) But I still think that you will get something and relatively soon. don't know why, I just think.

Originally posted by discouraged View Post
                      It is possible that things will get better. But, I will soon be 58 and have not worked, except for temp jobs, since 10/2008. Those temp jobs saved me and when UI is done, I will re-apply to all the agencies. Sad to say, you are penalized here if you take temp jobs other than government ones. In fact, the first one was a county job and when it ended, UI fought my getting benefits because I was 'let go'. It took a supervisor to recognize that county can only hire you as a temp for 6 months max per year before they re-established benefits. This made going back on easier when the next temp job, for the city, was done but I swear, the people they hire at UI here are not always the brightest.

We'll see what happens. I am not giving up hope!

Comment

Thank you, IamOld. Actually I was able to apply for quite a few positions this week, so who knows? And I haven't heard back from last week's yet, except for one who 'chose a different candidate'. I am still holding on. Applied for quite a few part-time jobs also and hopefully will get something from one of them. Wouldn't mind working part time as it would extend unemployment and could be a stepping stone.

It's just frustrating because 2 good jobs I quit to work elsewhere, I would still be at if I hadn't made those decisions and the jobs I took are the ones that had the layoffs - albeit yers after I took them.

Comment

You know I kick myself for decisions I made in the past that turned out to be stupid...but you know, (and I know it's easier said than done) but you know what's done is done :-) We've got to look forward, and indeed hope...I think also those employers who advertise now - during the middle of the summer REALLY need to have those jobs filled...

Comment

There was one from Lutheran Social Services today - haven't seen one from them in a long, long time, that I feel hopeful about. It would be part time but who cares at this point. I would really love to work there - so wish me luck.

Comment

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!! Do you know anyone there who can put in a good word??

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X