X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ACORN Filing for Bankruptcy

November 3, 2010

Talk about timing.

As millions of Americans headed to the polls to vote today, the Association of Community Organizers for Reform Now, aka ACORN, announced that it was filing for bankruptcy. The news came in the form of a letter written by Bertha Lewis, ACORN's CEO, that was posted to the group's website.

"We have seen this coming for some time," Lewis wrote. "Our chapters closed in the first quarter of the year. We have spent our remaining resources trying to dissolve the organization with integrity, while continuing to respond to the extremist attacks. Allegations and reports will continue to try to undermine all that ACORN has done, often searching for evidence from long before I became CEO."

Congress this year voted to cut off taxpayer funding of ACORN following allegations that the group violated its tax-exempt status by improperly mixing politics with its mission of empowering low- and middle-income Americans. Lacking much-needed revenue, ACORN officially shut down its national operations this past spring.

Long the subject of conservative ire, ACORN remained defiant in its claim that it had never participated in any voter fraud during the 2008 presidential election.

"The ongoing political onslaught caused irreparable harm," Lewis said. "This effort was a clear attempt to cast a shadow over the historic 2008 Presidential election, and set up a far right counter offense. Through those attacks we re-tooled and re-organized. Then again came the right-wing media blitz. This time of edited videos that misrepresented our mission, and consequently misled the public. The pressure and cost of defending ourselves in multiple investigations as a result of the falsified videos has eroded our organization. As a result we will be filing Chapter 7 bankruptcy by close of business today."

Get breaking news and the latest headlines on business, entertainment, politics, world news, tech, sports, videos and much more from AOL
    Filed Chapter 7 July 2010
    Attended 341 September 2010
    Discharged November 2010 Closed November 2010

surprise surprise ... oh yeah... "falsified" ..righhht... That entire organization should've been taken down years ago.

Comment

At the other end of the spectrum, Sarah Palin had a similar statement a while back:

"...all 15 of the ethics complaints have been dismissed. We've won! But it hasn't been cheap - the State has wasted THOUSANDS of hours of YOUR time and shelled out some two million of YOUR dollars to respond to "opposition research" - that's money NOT going to fund teachers or troopers - or safer roads. And this political absurdity, the "politics of personal destruction" ... Todd and I are looking at more than half a million dollars in legal bills in order to set the record straight. And what about the people who offer up these silly accusations? It doesn't cost them a dime so they're not going to stop draining public resources - spending other peoples' money in their game."
      Filed Chapter 7 July 2010
      Attended 341 September 2010
      Discharged November 2010 Closed November 2010

Comment

Originally posted by Pandora View Post
        surprise surprise ... oh yeah... "falsified" ..righhht... That entire organization should've been taken down years ago.
        Why?

Comment

There IS a God!!
          If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by jacko View Post
            Why?
            really? You're honestly asking Why? I'm not even going to justify what I wrote as I feel there is no need to; you can have your opinion and I can have mine.

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCatHub View Post
              There IS a God!!
              You must hate poor people.

Comment

really? You're honestly asking Why? I'm not even going to justify what I wrote as I feel there is no need to; you can have your opinion and I can have mine.
                Is that the Fox News and Glenn Beck view?

Comment

What's wrong with Fox News? Isn't that because they're different from other networks?
                  Filed chapter 7 Jul 13, 2010 341 hearing Aug 12, 2010 Trustee's report of no distribution Aug 20, 2010 Discharged Oct 13, 2010 Closed Oct 28, 2010.

Comment

No - that is MY view and no one elses, thank you very much. Other's "views" do not influence my own, I do think for myself (huh, what a novel idea and concept right?!) - but for you to say others "hate poor people" or to tie it into political processes/affiliations/whatever other nasty thought you have put forward... definitely shows me that your views are obscured by something or someone other than your own.

Accept that people can think for themselves independently without implementing the "you must hate..." theory / argument.

We're all "poor" LMAO - we filed for BK right? What a stupid comment...

'Nuff said

Comment

You obviously did not know what Acorn is and did. Acorn dealt with folks who were living on the margin and provided a advocacy voice. Most who declared BK have gotten back on their feet and are not living on the sidewalks.

I am just astounded how viewers who watch the Fox shows are so uninformed and ignorant of our counties political system and the world we live in.

No - that is MY view and no one elses, thank you very much. Other's "views" do not influence my own, I do think for myself (huh, what a novel idea and concept right?!) - but for you to say others "hate poor people" or to tie it into political processes/affiliations/whatever other nasty thought you have put forward... definitely shows me that your views are obscured by something or someone other than your own.

Accept that people can think for themselves independently without implementing the "you must hate..." theory / argument.

We're all "poor" LMAO - we filed for BK right? What a stupid comment...

'Nuff said

Comment

You obviously did not know what Acorn is and did. Acorn dealt with folks who were living on the margin and provided a advocacy voice. Most who declared BK have gotten back on their feet and are not living on the sidewalks.

I am just astounded how viewers who watch the Fox shows are so uninformed and ignorant of our counties political system and the world we live in.

Jacko if that's how you feel you should go to the fox news and glen beck blog and tell them off.

I don't watch fox nor gb. I get the facts as best as I could and think for myself.

Many here do this too.

It's certainly a liberal thing I guess. Whenever someone disagrees with a liberal the liberal will say "oh that's what happens when you listen to limbaugh, beck, etc."

No some of us think for ourselves and some don't.

I personally have no opinion of acorn since I don't know much of what they are about. I heard they had legal issues in the past year or two but that's it.
                        The essence of freedom is the proper limitation of Government

Comment

Ohhh Lordy...........whats Peggy Joseph gonna do now????
                          Stopped Paying CC's 2/2009. Retained Attorney 1/10/2010 Filed 1/23/2010. Discharged 5/19/10 $187K CC, $240K 2nd,$417K 1st, No asset Ch-7

Comment

Oh..yep.. you got me... *massive eye roll* Yep, no friggin' clue whatsoever because only YOU understand and are the know-all end-all be-all on ACORN, their practices, and the entire political field as well as world views above and beyond any other human being alive. *gagging* And you met and know me and my views and reasonings how exactly? Rigghhtt.....

Gimme a damn break... to steal your quote "I'm just astounded how YOU JACKO are so uninformed and ignorant....of the world we live in"

Blah blah friggin' blahhhhhhhh - you're an idiot if you really believe the crap you're spewing - sorry call 'em as I see 'em. Get a clue.

Comment

I know your types very well. At least some will admit to disliking people on the fringe and people of color in having a voice.

Oh..yep.. you got me... *massive eye roll* Yep, no friggin' clue whatsoever because only YOU understand and are the know-all end-all be-all on ACORN, their practices, and the entire political field as well as world views above and beyond any other human being alive. *gagging* And you met and know me and my views and reasonings how exactly? Rigghhtt.....

Gimme a damn break... to steal your quote "I'm just astounded how YOU JACKO are so uninformed and ignorant....of the world we live in"

Blah blah friggin' blahhhhhhhh - you're an idiot if you really believe the crap you're spewing - sorry call 'em as I see 'em. Get a clue.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X