Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amana couple sent to jail over bankruptcy fraud

Feb 07, 2011

PENSACOLA, FLORIDA (KWWL) -- A couple from Amana is sentenced for defrauding Florida bankruptcy creditors out of $350,000 thousand dollars in property, including a vehicle, boats, jewelry, and stocks.

A federal judge in Florida sentenced 60-year-old Gerald Schuerer and his wife, Fay, to prison after a jury found them guilty in November of bankruptcy fraud and mail fraud.

Gerald was sentenced to four years and two months, Fay to two and a half years. Officials say they sold assets to family members, with the understanding they would get them back after going bankrupt.

The couple moved to Florida, where bankruptcy exemptions are more liberal, and filed for bankruptcy protection. They moved back to Iowa and got the property back.

Source: http://www.kwwl.com/Global/story.asp?S=13987344
    There are two secrets for success in life:
    1.) Never tell everything you know.

Good.

I get so sick of reading and hearing about people trying to get around bankruptcy laws.

Comment

Thank you for posting this. How many times have we addressed people here who are attempting to beat the system. I for one have no real patience with those who obviously wish to make out in bk, and will not help them perform fraud. 'Hub
      If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

The couple are to surrender to authorities on March 21, 2011. Below is a link to a more comprehensive article:

"To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Some people are so incredibly stupid. It's just stuff people... is it really worth jail time?

Comment

They should have gotten more than 4&2 years. This type of behavior puts all of us in a bad light, I think. We're dealing with the Denny Hecker thing here in MN. I hope he gets mucho time for his behavior!

Comment

It's amazing the lengths some people will go to protect material goods. Ironically, the very things they tried so desperately to protect they'll not get to enjoy because they'll be behind bars.

Just like Discouraged said, this kind of behavior puts those of us who obey the law in a bad light and we have to end up paying for their mistakes, one way or another .
              Filed Chapter 7, Pro Se: 12/23/2010
              341 Meeting: 01/26/2011
              Discharged: 03/29/2011

Comment

I bet they realize now how much those material items are really worth. No worth much if your sitting your butt in prison for fraud, eh? The only thing that made me nervous about doing a bankruptcy was the concern that I would make an honest mistake. I was worried sick I would forget something that I was supposed to disclose. My attorney put my heart and mind at ease when he explained that any honest mistake can be fixed. There is a difference between a mistake and intent to commit fraud.
                This couple made a terrible decision.... shame on them!
                My kids better not put my FICO score on my headstone~ (quote by dspii)

Comment

Wow! Balls.
                  Filed Ch. 7 11/8/10: Survived 341 Meeting 12/13/10 Report of No Distribution!! 12/14/10Received UST Presumption of Abuse!! 12/15/10 UST states Dismissal is Inappropriate! DISHARGED!! 2/22/11

Comment

Originally posted by dneil View Post
                    The only thing that made me nervous about doing a bankruptcy was the concern that I would make an honest mistake. I was worried sick I would forget something that I was supposed to disclose.
                    I had the exact same fear...never mind the fact that I didn't own a thing to my name (practically), I was still afraid something, somewhere from my past would creep up and bypass my memory! lol

Comment

I actually enjoyed reading this one. This is why I'll keep saying, on BKForum, that you should not play games with assets!

Having no jetski is one thing... being in federal prison is no Disneyworld!
                      Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
                      Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
                        I actually enjoyed reading this one. This is why I'll keep saying, on BKForum, that you should not play games with assets!

Having no jetski is one thing... being in federal prison is no Disneyworld!
                        People try to move assets around like chess pieces on a chess board, but ya know what, the trustee always finds a way to checkmate.

Comment

Exactly! I'm glad we have to submit bank statements so the trustee will see how often I go to Goodwill and will believe my 'garage sale' pricing, lol.

But why people do things like this is beyond me. My gosh, getting rid of the debt I owe is more than enough for me!

Comment

These people deserve the jail time thy are getting.

Comment

That's insane. I don't get it. I mean, just getting bankruptcy relief is a HUGE blessing. To try to get or hide all kinds of extra stuff is just greed. Pure and simple.
                              --------------------------------------------
                              As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness. ~Henry David Thoreau

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X