Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lowe’s will close 20 stores, cut 1,950 jobs, plans to open fewer stores

Monday, October 17, 9:09 AM

MOORESVILLE, N.C. — Home-improvement retailer Lowe’s Cos. says it will close 20 underperforming stores in 15 states and cut 1,950 jobs in a move that it says will allow it to focus on more profitable locations.

Ten locations were closed Sunday; the other 10 will close in a month.

Before the closures Lowe’s operated 1,725 stores.

Lowe’s, based in Mooresville, N.C., also says it will only open 10 to 15 stores in North America annually beginning in 2012. Previously the company expected to open 30 stores per year. It will open 25 stores this year.

Lowe’s says the moves will cost it 17 cents to 20 cents per share in 2011.

In August, Lowe’s said volatile weather and shoppers’ worries about the economy hurt demand. Its net income was nearly flat in the second quarter and the company lowered its yearly sales forecast.
    Copyright 2011 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

"To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

more great news!! what a shame
    8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

This is bad news. I like Lowes. They are so much better than Home Depot, and have a much better selection of the lighting fixtures that I install for customers.
      The world's simplest C & D Letter:
      "I demand that you cease and desist from any communication with me."
      Notice that I never actually mention or acknowledge the debt in my letter.

Comment

I'm wondering what they consider "under-performing" stores? I am concerned about our county--the highest unemployment rate in the state of Florida.

The Jacksonville radio station, WOKV, newscast said that no stores were being closed in "our area". I would like to know what THAT means? While our county is within the broadcasting range, their Powers-That-Be routinely ignore our county when giving local weather forecasts, etc.

The last thing our county needs is for another major employer to close...

Comment

Originally posted by GoingDown View Post
          This is bad news. I like Lowes. They are so much better than Home Depot, and have a much better selection of the lighting fixtures that I install for customers.
          I'm right there with you. 'Hub and I prefer Lowes over HD, also.

Comment

I just heard on another radio station, WSB Radio in Atlanta, that most of the closings are in the North East. No stores are being closed in Georgia.... So hopefully Florida will be okay.

Comment

Nearly 12 years of economic recession will have an affect every business---obviously some industries will be greater affected than others. Friendly's is closing stores too.
              The information provided is not, and should not be considered legal advice. All information provided is only informational and should be verified by a law practioner whenever possible. When confronted with legal issues contact an experienced attorney in your state who specializes in the area of law most directly called into question by your particular situation.

Comment

I agree. Friendlier staff and all. Cleaner too.
                Filed August 20 341 on September 23 Report of No Distribution - September 24 Case Discharged and Closed on November 23!!!

Comment

Wonderful...more layoffs - remember guys the REAL unemployment rate is about 16% on the average and change...

Comment

The Friendly's near me just closed this weekend! It was open on day and the next gone. Same thing with Perkins. I also heard this weekend that The Gap is closing 700 stores nationwide.
                    "I DECLARE BANKRUPTCY!" Ch 7 Filed 7/15/11 * 3 Minute 341 8/19/11 * Discharged 10/20/11

Comment

Yes, lowes is like first class compared to home depot sitting back in the cheap seats.

Comment

I learned that one of our local restaurants, a family business that has been in business for more than 36 years has closed.

Comment

My mall in my town is a ghost town. Hair salon, Borders, few other stores all gone.
                          Filed August 20 341 on September 23 Report of No Distribution - September 24 Case Discharged and Closed on November 23!!!

Comment

Lowes cuts 20 stores and 1,950 jobs

More encouraging "economic recovery" news.

Filed July 2009. Discharged 08/08/2014. Awaiting closing. We made it !!!! Woo-hoo!

Comment

Sorry, andy. We had a thread going about this yesterday.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X