Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In a slow economy, diners pick fast food

June 26, 2012, 1:51 pm

Business is down for Olive Garden, Red Lobster, LongHorn Steakhouse and other popular eateries owned by Darden Restaurants, which expects 2013 earnings to be below analysts' expectations, reports CNBC's Jane Wells.

Also expected to feel the pinch are other casual-dining spots, such as Texas Roadhouse, Cheesecake Factory, Buffalo Wild Wings and Chili's.

Places doing well are so-called fast-casual joints, such as are Chipolte Mexican, Five Guys and Panera Bread. A Bank of America Merrill Lynch analysis says people are altering their dining preferences, opting for cheaper meals out.

"People want to trade down, they want to go to the lower-priced brands," says Tyler Vernon of Biltmore Capital Advisors.

On the bright side, restaurant hiring is growing, though slowly, and some food costs have dropped from a year ago.

KFC is also doing well. Zagat's 2011 fast food survey rated the company's fried chicken No. 1. And in China, KFC is popular for wedding receptions, Vernon says.

Olive Garden next week will start a "two for $25" promotion that offers unlimited soup or salad, two entrees and the choice of either an appetizer or dessert.

Applebee's and Chili's have been running "two for $20 promotions" for several years.

Reuters contributed to this report.

"To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

People who really want to save money should learn to cook at home. It's very had to beat the cost effectiveness of cooking a large pot of chili or stew on the weekend and freezing it in individual or family size servings to be used for the next month or so.

Comment

Originally posted by daveinIL View Post
      People who really want to save money should learn to cook at home.
      You got that right. The 2 for $20.00 (or whatever) meal "bargains" are no bargains at all. You give me $20.00 and I can cook a feast for my entire family, and have leftovers too!
      All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
      Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

Originally posted by frogger View Post
        You got that right. The 2 for $20.00 (or whatever) meal "bargains" are no bargains at all. You give me $20.00 and I can cook a feast for my entire family, and have leftovers too!

I agree. $20 or not food is just that much better made at home.

Since so many sheep follow their leader Obama they should follow Michelle instead and grow a garden. Rumor has it you can user your EBT card to buy seeds.

Much better then corporate food.
        The essence of freedom is the proper limitation of Government

Comment

Originally posted by banca rotta View Post
          I agree. $20 or not food is just that much better made at home.

Since so many sheep follow their leader Obama they should follow Michelle instead and grow a garden. Rumor has it you can user your EBT card to buy seeds.

Much better then corporate food.

Not here much as I'd like due to work stuff (no not a job, but at my brothers. He pays.) So, I second what you said, however I also add, learn to can stuff. It is cheaper than running a small freezer that when and if the SHTF, (and it will) you might have something to eat or trade.

We are now into "prepping". What for? ANYTHING. That is economy, weather disasters, turmoil, you name it. It won't cost you a lot and you can always eat it at a lower price. Try "youtube.com" "preppers" and "canning". It will not scare you to be prepared. Remember........"it was not raining, when Noah built his ark". 'Hub
          If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Home canned food makes great gifts too!
            LadyInTheRed is in the black!
            Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
            $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Dup post.
              11/23/'10-filed ch 13. 1/6/'11-341, confirmed. Below median. Plan completed 11/30/2015. DISSCHARGED 4/4/2016.JP

Comment

I take full advantage of those discount dinners out and about. In fact there is a restaurant that mails us coupons monthly and we go often. We do like to cook with three meals in mind to save, but two or three times a month we go out.
                Also, I had to remove the smoke detectors because of my wife's mad cooking skills, so we go out to satisfy my taste buds from time to time.

signed,

Must be King of something, as I keep getting burnt offerings.
                11/23/'10-filed ch 13. 1/6/'11-341, confirmed. Below median. Plan completed 11/30/2015. DISSCHARGED 4/4/2016.JP

Comment

yes, i so agree eating at home is far cheaper, usually much more nutritionally sound as well. ONLY HUGE problem with that is YOU HAVE TO COOK!!!!!! yuck! don't get me wrong here, i love to cook, it is by far one of my better talents in life, however, sometimes i would like a break. all those places listed i would never eat anyway because of the quality of the food. except maybe pandera bread for a nice salad.
                  8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

I hate to cook too. Bleh.

Keep On Smilin'

Comment

Originally posted by tobee43 View Post
                      yes, i so agree eating at home is far cheaper, usually much more nutritionally sound as well. ONLY HUGE problem with that is YOU HAVE TO COOK!!!!!! yuck! don't get me wrong here, i love to cook, it is by far one of my better talents in life, however, sometimes i would like a break. all those places listed i would never eat anyway because of the quality of the food. except maybe pandera bread for a nice salad.
                      I have a panera in my office building and I find the salads expensive and rather bland. I'd rather bring a salad with me to work.
                      Filed 11/17/11 Chapter 13, 341 meeting 12/21/11. Plan confirmed 1/19/12 - DISCHARGED 12/16/15

Comment

Originally posted by mountanddo View Post
                        I have a panera in my office building and I find the salads expensive and rather bland. I'd rather bring a salad with me to work.
                        i don't really know anymore since it's been about 4 years since i purchased one . also, for me one salad is three meals, i have a problem with eating and getting in enough food during the day. i usually drink a ton of plain water, but i have even switched to 4c green tea mix for extra calories during the day.

i LOVE to cook actually, today i'm making eggplant parm, chicken parm and baked ziti. i had to empty our side by side freezer and found all this nice meat, which would be going bad soon, a ton of from mozerella cheese and some ricotta, which i also had frozen, so i made a HUGE pot of sauce started it yesterday and today i went to the outdoor market and got the eggplants. i had the chicken in the freezer and all the stuff that needed to be moved out or it was going to go to waste. now i'm doing all this cooking to refreeze it all LOL!!!
                        8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

Tobee, I am on my way over. I'll bring the wine.

Keep On Smilin'

Comment

Originally posted by keepsmiling View Post
                            Tobee, I am on my way over. I'll bring the wine.
                            I'm there if it's a nice red one!

Comment

For anyone interested in a very FINE salad, do a Google search on the Columbia Restaurant in Florida. Also, their 1905 Salad.

There are several variations of the recipe online, but try to find the closest to the Columbia's original. I use Romaine lettuce instead of the Iceberg, other than that, it is as close to the original as I can get, and is very good.
                              "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X