Political Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HakunaMatata View Post
    He was a cheerleader. Oh wait. Wrong guy.
    A cheerleader who flew fighter jets in the Air National Guard! I'll take that resume over a community agitator any day!
    Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by OhioFiler View Post
      Ivy league education is not proof of intellect. I'm sure you know Ivy leaguers who are idiots and I know you know non-Ivy leaguers who are brilliant.

Obama has shown the American people nothing to support his entrance in to Columbia and Harvard or any work while he attended either. Even that goof John Kerry released his C average Yale grades. What does Obama fear letting the public see his record?
      Certainly I agree with you that an ivy league education does not guarantee intellect. You are right OF, I know plenty of ivy leaguers who are idiots. But I only know a few brilliant people, ivy league or no.

I don't think Obama fears people seeing his school record. I think he partied as an early undergrad, then scrambled to catch up (as many many students do). I think he did very well in law school. Being the first black to head the law review is not a trivial achievement.
      You can't take a picture of this. It's already gone. ~~Nate, Six Feet Under

Comment

Originally posted by backtoschool View Post
        Certainly I agree with you that an ivy league education does not guarantee intellect. You are right OF, I know plenty of ivy leaguers who are idiots. But I only know a few brilliant people, ivy league or no.

I don't think Obama fears people seeing his school record. I think he partied as an early undergrad, then scrambled to catch up (as many many students do). I think he did very well in law school. Being the first black to head the law review is not a trivial achievement.
        But now we have liberal geniuses like Chris Matthews who almost forgot Obama was black for 60 minutes during the SOTU address.

There is good reason to believe Obama earned his law review position because he was black. If race was an issue then choosing him was in fact trivial.

Have you read any published articles written by this supposed non-trivial law review genius?

Liberals will always appear as hypocrites. The same liberals who bashed Bush for his grades (then found out they were much better than Kerry's grades) and dis Sarah Palin for attending multiple schools to complete her undergraduate degree never bother to exhibit an ounce of curiosity into Obama's educational background.
        Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

Is this a time warp? Right wingers still don't know what Obama's adult education and work experience was, calling him an empty suit and comparing him to Palin?
          Pretty Funny (sad really)... OK, A blast from the past below.
          I think he did very well in law school. Being the first black to head the law review is not a trivial achievement.
          Following high school, Obama moved to Los Angeles in 1979 to attend Occidental College. After two years he transferred in 1981 to Columbia University in New York City, where he majored in political science with a specialization in international relations and graduated with a B.A. in 1983.

He worked for a year at the Business International Corporation, then at the New York Public Interest Research Group.

After four years in New York City, Obama moved to Chicago, where he was hired as director of the Developing Communities Project (DCP), a church-based community organization originally comprising eight Catholic parishes in Greater Roseland (Roseland, West Pullman and Riverdale) on Chicago's far South Side. He worked there as a community organizer from June 1985 to May 1988. During his three years as the DCP's director, its staff grew from one to thirteen and its annual budget grew from $70,000 to $400,000.

He helped set up a job training program, a college preparatory tutoring program, and a tenants' rights organization in Altgeld Gardens. Obama also worked as a consultant and instructor for the Gamaliel Foundation, a community organizing institute.

In late 1988, Obama entered Harvard Law School. He was selected as an editor of the Harvard Law Review at the end of his first year, and elected president of the Harvard Law Review by his peers in his second year.

During his summers, he returned to Chicago, where he worked as a summer associate at the law firms of Sidley Austin in 1989 and Hopkins & Sutter in 1990.

After graduating with a Juris Doctor (J.D.) magna cum laude from Harvard Law School in 1991, he returned to Chicago.
          Obama's election as the first black president of the Harvard Law Review gained national media attention and led to a publishing contract and advance for a book about race relations, which evolved into a personal memoir. The manuscript was published in mid-1995 as "Dreams From My Father".

In 1991, Obama accepted a two-year position as Visiting Law and Government Fellow at the University of Chicago Law School to work on his first book. He then served as a professor at the University of Chicago Law School for twelve years; as a Lecturer from 1992 to 1996, and as a Senior Lecturer from 1996 to 2004 teaching constitutional law.

From April to October 1992, Obama directed Illinois's Project Vote, a voter registration drive with a staff of ten and 700 volunteers; it achieved its goal of registering 150,000 of 400,000 unregistered African Americans in the state, and led to Crain's Chicago Business naming Obama to its 1993 list of "40 under Forty" powers to be.

In 1993 he joined Davis, Miner, Barnhill & Galland, a law firm of 12 attorneys that specialized in civil rights litigation and neighborhood economic development, where he was an associate for three years from 1993 to 1996, then of counsel from 1996 to 2004.

Also:
          Illinois State Senator: 1997–2004
          U.S. Senator: 2005–2009
          U.S. President 2009-2016

And Sarah Palin, for comparison:

She attended Wasilla High School where she was the head of the Fellowship of Christian Athletes, and a member of the girls' basketball and cross country running teams. During her senior year, she was co-captain and point guard of the basketball team that won the Alaska state championship, earning the nickname "Sarah Barracuda". Sarah the jock.

She attended Hawaii Pacific University in the fall of 1982 and North Idaho College in the spring and fall of 1983. In 1984, after winning the Miss Wasilla pageant, she finished third in the Miss Alaska pageant, receiving the Miss Congeniality award and a college scholarship.

She attended the University of Idaho in the fall of 1984 and spring of 1985, and attended Matanuska-Susitna College in the fall of 1985. She returned to the University of Idaho in the spring of 1986, receiving her bachelor's degree in communications with an emphasis in journalism from there in 1987. (Five "prestigious" schools in five years for a BA in journalism - so where are her grades?)

After graduating, she worked as a sportscaster for KTUU-TV and KTVA-TV in Anchorage, and as a sports reporter for the Mat-Su Valley Frontiersman.

City Council and Mayor of Wasilla. Then in 2006, governor of Alaska (running on the platform that all the other candidates are crooks, so vote for me.) After a few bridges to nowhere she resigned in July 2009, to avoid expending an "insane" amount of time and money addressing the "frivolous" ethics complaints filed against her by three separate Alaskan State investigatory boards. That's one way to avoid impeachment, but Palin's no Nixon.

A promising career ahead of her as Fox News muckraker and head of the new Teabagger Party.
          Last edited by WhatMoney; 02-09-2010, 03:35 AM.
          “When fascism comes to America, it’ll be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross” — Sinclair Lewis

Comment

There is good reason to believe Obama earned his law review position because he was black. If race was an issue then choosing him was in fact trivial.

Have you read any published articles written by this supposed non-trivial law review genius?
            Well now there is a racist comment if I ever heard one. Since OF has me on ignore (which is great, really - he looks foolish commenting around my factual information), would someone mind calling him on that?

Of course the real reason Obama was elected president of the HLR has been discussed publically by his fellow students - and it had nothing to do with his race.

Editors often do not sign articles at the Harvard Law Review, nor does the president of the Review generally write student articles. That's for the student editors and contributers.

While you are entitled to your own opinion, you are not entitled to your own facts.
            Last edited by WhatMoney; 02-09-2010, 03:42 AM. Reason: added clever byline
            “When fascism comes to America, it’ll be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross” — Sinclair Lewis

Comment

But now we have liberal geniuses like Chris Matthews who almost forgot Obama was black for 60 minutes during the SOTU address.

Liberals will always appear as hypocrites. The same liberals who bashed Bush for his grades (then found out they were much better than Kerry's grades) and dis Sarah Palin for attending multiple schools to complete her undergraduate degree never bother to exhibit an ounce of curiosity into Obama's educational background.
              As a woman in a male dominated field, I always get upset when people tell me that I got my position or got an award "because I am a woman". To ignore achievement and attribute it to race or gender is to look at Obama simply as a black man and not see the entire man, the same way people sometimes look at me simply as a woman in my field and do not see me as a person.

To compare Sarah Palin to Obama in terms of academic achievement is ridiculous. Sarah Palin is barely literate. She cannot even begin to grasp the ideas she is supposed to be at least conversant in. She truly does not understand the underpinning causes for our wars, our economic collapse, our position on the world stage, etc....

I think belittling Obama's genuine achievements is deeply wrong.

By the way, I LOVE Chris Matthews. I think he isn't afraid to ask hard questions, and his show is very entertaining as well as informative.

Comment

As a woman in a male dominated field, I always get upset when people tell me that I got my position or got an award "because I am a woman". To ignore achievement and attribute it to race or gender is to look at Obama simply as a black man and not see the entire man, the same way people sometimes look at me simply as a woman in my field and do not see me as a person.

To compare Sarah Palin to Obama in terms of academic achievement is ridiculous. Sarah Palin is barely literate. She cannot even begin to grasp the ideas she is supposed to be at least conversant in. She truly does not understand the underpinning causes for our wars, our economic collapse, our position on the world stage, etc....

I think belittling Obama's genuine achievements is deeply wrong.

By the way, I LOVE Chris Matthews. I think he isn't afraid to ask hard questions, and his show is very entertaining as well as informative.
                Obama was elected specifically because he is black. He garnered over 90% of the black vote. There was nothing subtle about the media's championing him as the probable first black president. And I understand liberals and their identity politics well enough to know many voted for him not on substance but on identity. Even some of the most liberal media elites spoke that Obama was unexamined by the supposed press during the election.

Obama has achieved nothing besides getting elected to 3 political posts. While in each of those positions he accomplished nothing. Zero, zip, nada.

To bash Sarah Palin as "barely literate" is offensive and reeks of feminism and the associated jealousy and fear most feminists have for attractive popular conservative women. I would expect you are not of that vein.

I'm sure Matthews would get a tingle up his leg if he knew you liked him.

Comment

Obama was elected specifically because he is black. He garnered over 90% of the black vote. There was nothing subtle about the media's championing him as the probable first black president. And I understand liberals and their identity politics well enough to know many voted for him not on substance but on identity. Even some of the most liberal media elites spoke that Obama was unexamined by the supposed press during the election.

Obama has achieved nothing besides getting elected to 3 political posts. While in each of those positions he accomplished nothing. Zero, zip, nada.

To bash Sarah Palin as "barely literate" is offensive and reeks of feminism and the associated jealousy and fear most feminists have for attractive popular conservative women. I would expect you are not of that vein.

I'm sure Matthews would get a tingle up his leg if he knew you liked him.
                  Chris Matthews is hot. He has a sexy personality and brain. I am totally into Matthews.

I would say the same about any man that had the credentials that Sarah Palin has, and I am basing my opinion of her on her words and actions. I can't even get through one of her interviews. She is almost illiterate.

I do not want to minimize anyone's achievements. Sarah Palin doesn't have any more achievements than Obama has. To be made editor of the Harvard Law Review is not a trivial achievement and I do not want to see it minimized. If Sarah Palin had a comparable achievement on her record I would not trivialize that accomplishment either. She doesn't.

I am a "feminist" if that means that I think that it is a good thing when women are literate and accomplished.

Comment

Chris Matthews is hot. He has a sexy personality and brain. I am totally into Matthews.

I would say the same about any man that had the credentials that Sarah Palin has, and I am basing my opinion of her on her words and actions. I can't even get through one of her interviews. She is almost illiterate.

I do not want to minimize anyone's achievements. Sarah Palin doesn't have any more achievements than Obama has. To be made editor of the Harvard Law Review is not a trivial achievement and I do not want to see it minimized. If Sarah Palin had a comparable achievement on her record I would not trivialize that accomplishment either. She doesn't.

I am a "feminist" if that means that I think that it is a good thing when women are literate and accomplished.
                    Sarah Palin was the governor of Alaska. I would think that is a greater achievement than Law Review editor.

How did Obama win his seat in the US Senate. Oh yeah, I almost forgot. His opponent's sealed divorce records became public and the media went all crazy because Mr. Ryan visited a swingers club in New Orleans with his wife. Only in Chicago. Ryan was trouncing him in the polls at the time. Obama's state senate contestants had similar problems appear during that campaign.

Sarah Palin stood on the stage at the Republican National Convention with the eyes of the ENTIRE world on her and rocked the house with a speech that will live forever. She has talent, she is literate, she is accomplished.

Comment

Sarah Palin was the governor of Alaska. I would think that is a greater achievement than Law Review editor.

How did Obama win his seat in the US Senate. Oh yeah, I almost forgot. His opponent's sealed divorce records became public and the media went all crazy because Mr. Ryan visited a swingers club in New Orleans with his wife. Only in Chicago. Ryan was trouncing him in the polls at the time. Obama's state senate contestants had similar problems appear during that campaign.

Sarah Palin stood on the stage at the Republican National Convention with the eyes of the ENTIRE world on her and rocked the house with a speech that will live forever. She has talent, she is literate, she is accomplished.
                      I am done discussing Sarah Palin. Her many many many public blunders have shown her to be illiterate. She was not even able to finish her term as governor before being run out of town by those who were discovering her many scandals and buried bodies.

Your disregarding of Obama's accomplishments is deeply disturbing to me OF. I do not think you are a racist per se, but to take a man's life and say all of his accomplishments were achieved either because he was black or because he "cheated", is to denigrate that man. I expected better of you.

Comment

I am done discussing Sarah Palin. Her many many many public blunders have shown her to be illiterate. She was not even able to finish her term as governor before being run out of town by those who were discovering her many scandals and buried bodies.

Your disregarding of Obama's accomplishments is deeply disturbing to me OF. I do not think you are a racist per se, but to take a man's life and say all of his accomplishments were achieved either because he was black or because he "cheated", is to denigrate that man. I expected better of you.
                        Nonsense. Nothing true there.

Obama has many more "blunders".

Comment

Nonsense. Nothing true there.

Obama has many more "blunders".
                          Politics is a way we humans, whose lives are 90% similar, can focus on the few things that separate us and find ways to despise each other....then we go to church.

Gotta love humanity.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom_Mi View Post
                            Politics is a way we humans, whose lives are 90% similar, can focus on the few things that separate us and find ways to despise each other....then we go to church.

Gotta love humanity.
                            Well that 10% difference can include a lot more than political differences.

I am a male, grew up near Jeff Dahmer in similar surroundings. The 10% difference is significant in this case!

One's political views (or lack thereof) are very important in defining who they are as a person. While I agree we all have a lot more in common than we don't those differences are what makes the world an interesting and dynamic place.

Imagine how boring life would be today if everyone was fooled into thinking Obama was the political savior he proclaimed himself to be while on the stump.

Comment

Originally posted by LimpDisc View Post
                              Harry Reid, Nancy Pelosi, Barney Frank, John Murtha, John Boehner, Eric Cantor, Mitch McConnell and Lindsay Graham for starters.

Glad to see Ted Kennedy & Christopher Dodd gone.
                              Senators McCain, Graham, Ensign and Voinovich (who is not running again) and those two bimbos in Maine.
                              Guess I can cross John Murtha (R.I.P) off my list.

However, I can add the knucklehead Sen. Richard Shelby (R-Ala.) to my list.
                              Stopped Payings CC's: 8/14/2009 | Retained Attorney: 9/23/2009 | Filed CH 7: 12/7/2009 | 341 Meeting: 1/21/2010 - Complete | Discharged: 4/9/2010
                              "One person pretends to be rich, yet has nothing; another pretends to be poor, yet has great wealth."

Comment

Obama was elected specifically because he is black.

Obama was elected because George Bush was a moron.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X