Political Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by msm859 View Post
    Well like I said I don't profess to be an expert, but I thought "assault" rifle also had something to do with the ability to automatically fire x number of rounds.
    As to 9-10 no special reason - 6 would be fine also. Whatever is "normal".
    Why not 30 - because I have children and a grandchild and when there are more and more crazy attacks at schools, rallies and movies I would be in favor of depriving Every single person in this country the right to own an assault rifle or 30 round clip, that they do not "need" for any legitimate reason, if it would save 1 innocent life from these crazy events.
    Hi Msm859. I'm pleased we are still friends. LOL. An assault rifle is a loose term. For instance some where actually 22 squirrel guns with folding stocks made to look mean Any gun could be an assault gun. It is how you were to use it. For instance some shotguns could hold 50 20 gauge shells. Some only one. The AR15 is a civilian version of an M16 slandered issue to our military. The M16 can shoot automatic but not for long as the standard clip is 20 shots. It is more accurate to shoot semi-automatic, which means every time the trigger is pulled. The AR15 is the same gun but is built to be semi. It is only a 22 caliber called a 223 which has a very large kicker in back of the 22 slug.

Then there are pieces like a sniper rifle that is not on the list as assault, shoot only one bullet at a time (I'm no gun enthusiast as to all models) but may shoot up to a 50 caliber near two miles. I believe that one sniper got four enemies at 700 yards. Others may chime in and add the facts. Depending on the piece they can hold many different count of bullets. Usually it is better to have more than what you need than one less than you need. The M16 had two sizes, a 20 count and a 30 count. The 30 was troublesome as the spring was weak so the GI's would duct tape two 20's upside down together so they had 40 rounds and could fast change.

I understand that you have some fear in these, but if properly trained and see that they are only a tool, and there is a right and wrong way to use it, you would see that in your own family, and in our World today, it may be useful to have. Nobody (in their right mind) wants to murder another, but if you or worse your family is at threat, this tool is handy to have around. You don't wish to use a fire extinguisher, but it is handy to have around with a fire. So, do you see where some of us are? Not meaning Lib or Con, Rep or Dem. Just safe. 'Hub
    If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Well like I said I don't profess to be an expert, but I thought "assault" rifle also had something to do with the ability to automatically fire x number of rounds.
      As to 9-10 no special reason - 6 would be fine also. Whatever is "normal".
      Why not 30 - because I have children and a grandchild and when there are more and more crazy attacks at schools, rallies and movies I would be in favor of depriving Every single person in this country the right to own an assault rifle or 30 round clip, that they do not "need" for any legitimate reason, if it would save 1 innocent life from these crazy events.
      This is a nice post. I have to agree with you. This is the "real world". Frogger came up with a reason. Here is one more reason: In TX a Luby's restaurant was visited by a daughter and her elder parents. Luby's posted a no firearms sign. The lady had a carry permit but as the permit states she could not LEGALLY carry it in so she put her weapon into her car. In came a crazy and started to clear the floor with bullets and people. She survived but witnessed the murder of many people including her parents. Do I completely obey the rules? I'll leave that not answered. 'Hub
      If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

I agree with you about Clinton signing the bill to end Glass Steagall, but in his defense it was a Republican bill and they in fact had a veto proof vote on it. I totally disagree with you about Bush. He in fact is the primary cause of the current economic state. The Bush tax cuts, 2 unnecessary and unpaid for wars and the big pharma drug give away. He also set the get away with anything environment starting when Enron raped and pillaged CA that he could have easily stopped with FERC - the banks then saw they could get away with anything - as they have. You are correct about concern with the dollar. The 800 pound gorilla is the looming deficit. We will at some point reach critical mass were perhaps the only answer will by hyper inflation.

I agree he spent money like a liberal and cut taxes without cutting the spending to go with it. Bush is only one building block in the slaughter house that America is becoming. It started with Nixon severing the dollar from gold. Once that happened they all spent up a storm and did it on borrowed money.

Only big inflation of the money supply will pay off the debt and that's exactly what they will do to pay it down.
        The essence of freedom is the proper limitation of Government

Comment

Originally posted by banca rotta View Post
          I agree he spent money like a liberal and cut taxes without cutting the spending to go with it. Bush is only one building block in the slaughter house that America is becoming. It started with Nixon severing the dollar from gold. Once that happened they all spent up a storm and did it on borrowed money.

Only big inflation of the money supply will pay off the debt and that's exactly what they will do to pay it down.
          Yes I agree. Inflation is a very insidious tax. It robs from the poor and pays stuff off for the rich. The Libs just cannot figure this out. Food Stamps et. al. are denominated into dollars and ergo purchase less. Mortgages paid off with less purchasing power of dollars. They just can't figure this out without explaining it like a grammar school teacher.

Now, a new horizon. QE3 the last shovel pat on the grave of our economy. Then, the confiscation of Gold, Silver, other wealth to back the Orange Money (scrip) when the green money no longer buys stuff. (And some ask why I will hold onto my gun?)

BTW I've been waiting on you to chime in. Where you been? 'Hub

Comment

Interesting

Here I find a lot of answers to those who asked questions or remarked how well he did to improve our Country. (do I have to define who 'he' is?)

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

msm, the logic in saying that 10 rounds is ok, but 30 is not escapes me. Also, what gives you or me the right to determine what someone else "needs" in able to properly defend themselves?

If we limited people's protection to 6 rounds, then, what happens if there are 4 or 5 home invaders? What happens if the person defending themselves wants to fire a couple of warning shots? What happens if the assailants are prepared for a more lengthy engagement? What if the person defending themselves, their family, and their property is not an expert marksman and happens to miss a couple of times? They are supposed to surrender their lives because "we" decided they must be limited in their magazine capacity? If 30 is arbitrarily determined to be too many, and that people do not "need" this many, then, why is it determined that 6 or 10 is acceptable? My point is that arbitrarily determining what someone else may or may not "need" is part of the big problem, no one has the right to limit your god given ability to defend yourself and your family. Whenever I hear the phrase "There ought to be a law", I cringe, as the true need for additional laws and regulations arises quite infrequently in my opinion. Unfortunately, legislators feel they are elected to "do something" and that usually means create new legislation.

Comment

Originally posted by filed View Post
                msm, the logic in saying that 10 rounds is ok, but 30 is not escapes me. Also, what gives you or me the right to determine what someone else "needs" in able to properly defend themselves?

If we limited people's protection to 6 rounds, then, what happens if there are 4 or 5 home invaders? What happens if the person defending themselves wants to fire a couple of warning shots? What happens if the assailants are prepared for a more lengthy engagement? What if the person defending themselves, their family, and their property is not an expert marksman and happens to miss a couple of times? They are supposed to surrender their lives because "we" decided they must be limited in their magazine capacity? If 30 is arbitrarily determined to be too many, and that people do not "need" this many, then, why is it determined that 6 or 10 is acceptable? My point is that arbitrarily determining what someone else may or may not "need" is part of the big problem, no one has the right to limit your god given ability to defend yourself and your family. Whenever I hear the phrase "There ought to be a law", I cringe, as the true need for additional laws and regulations arises quite infrequently in my opinion. Unfortunately, legislators feel they are elected to "do something" and that usually means create new legislation.

I agree with you 100%, but let's not be too hard on MSM. I believe he/she got the message. I too believe the best defense is "speak softly (look meek) but carry a big stick (have a weapon and know how to use it and hope you don't have to)".

Comment

Originally posted by filed View Post

The logic is I have NEVER heard of any of your hypotheticals. I have heard of numerous times wherein the assault rifles/large clips have caused mayhem on too many innocent people.
                  However, I do not expect to change anyones mind like I said I realize for some this is a hot button. I have already spent more energy talking about it then I care -- because it really is a NON issue for me. I personally put it in the same category as gays and abortion. Stupid wedge issues to get a select group to vote against their more important economic interests to put a certain party in power. And that is my final word on "guns".

Comment

Talk about insecurity.

[QUOTE=frogger;582882]Hmmmmmmmmm.... always wanted a fighter jet.

I'm not going to step in this steaming pile of bovine excrement, however I will say that in the town that I work in, there is most certainly a "need" for a firearm.

I'm going to do a drive by here and drop this off and run:

[b]I'm too old to run. That's why I carry a gun.

--- PEOPLE ASK WHY?

Why Carry a Gun?

My old grandpa said to me 'Son, there comes a time in every man's life when he stops bustin' knuckles and starts bustin' caps and
                    usually it's when he becomes too old to take an a$$ whoopin.'

I don't carry a gun to kill people.
                    I carry a gun to keep from being killed.

I don't carry a gun to scare people.
                    I carry a gun because sometimes this world can be a scary place.

Comment

Well to follow your statements to their logical conclusion then anyone should be able to have every weapon available in their personal arsenal - hand grenades, rocket launchers, nuclear weapons, fighter jets......where does it stop?
                      Arms, as understood would include those weapons which can be carried and fired by a person, in my opinion anyway, which would exclude nuclear weapons. Hand grenades, I am ok with regulating as explosives just like all other high explosives. To me it stops at weapons designed to be carried and employed by an individual. Explosives should be regulated, not banned as weapons, but regulated to keep someone from blowing up their neighborhood.

Sorry, I did not mean voted for, I meant advocated, he did when running for senate advocate eliminating the ability to carry all handguns..... except by law enforcement. He has publically called for reinstating bans on my weapons, on my magazines, and on my ability to carry my handgun to protect myself. That alone disqualifies him from getting my vote. Anyone who would deny me the right to carry my weapon to protect myself is putting my life at risk. I have used my handgun to protect myself and I believe I would have been killed or seriously injured had I not possessed it, which Obama would prefer.

Comment

Originally posted by banca rotta View Post
                        For those that don't know what this (QE3) means you will know when gasoline reaches 5-6 dollars a gallon and you will have to beg for food since that too will be expensive.

This is money printing.
                        Whether they do it through QE3 or Cap and Tax to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, the result is ultimately the same. Energy and transportation costs go up through the roof, and everything becomes a lot more expensive.
                        The world's simplest C & D Letter:
                        "I demand that you cease and desist from any communication with me."
                        Notice that I never actually mention or acknowledge the debt in my letter.

Comment

Originally posted by GoingDown View Post
                          Whether they do it through QE3 or Cap and Tax to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, the result is ultimately the same. Energy and transportation costs go up through the roof, and everything becomes a lot more expensive.
                          Actually many economists would say we need more inflation. 5 months ago Krugman said the feds should be doing what they just announced. http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/06/op...inflation.html
                          The real problem may be somewhere down the road if do not eventually deal with the 800 pound gorilla - the growing deficit - and we then end up with hyper inflation as the only way out.

Comment

Originally posted by GoingDown View Post

That would be correct!

The whole point of QE is people think we are having deflation when we haven't had a true deflation since 1932 when the money supply collapsed.

We have inflation and have had it for the last 40 years. When the banks and governments either lose money or tax revenues are low due to high unemployment and high food stamp use (47 million today ) the Fed and other central banks buy up "assets" such as mortgage or government bonds that the markets just don't want.

This is inflation 101! People think it's deflation because the average person is spending and borrowing less when all that is, is deleveraging and low velocity.

Inflation will make the rich richer and wipe out those that don't know how the system works.

I am amazed at just how bad it is now and there are those that still don't believe it. Happy landings to that bunch!

Comment

Actually many economists would say we need more inflation. 5 months ago Krugman said the feds should be doing what they just announced. http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/06/op...inflation.html
                              The real problem may be somewhere down the road if do not eventually deal with the 800 pound gorilla - the growing deficit - and we then end up with hyper inflation as the only way out.
                              Krugman is a loser and should crawl back into the hole he came out of. He said publicly that we need to stimulate by the world acting as if we are being attacked by invaders from outer space.

He and Bernanke smoked too much at Princeton.

Comment

The logic is I have NEVER heard of any of your hypotheticals. I have heard of numerous times wherein the assault rifles/large clips have caused mayhem on too many innocent people.
                                However, I do not expect to change anyones mind like I said I realize for some this is a hot button. I have already spent more energy talking about it then I care -- because it really is a NON issue for me. I personally put it in the same category as gays and abortion. Stupid wedge issues to get a select group to vote against their more important economic interests to put a certain party in power. And that is my final word on "guns".
                                Well said, and well capitulated. Have you learned "Different strokes, for different folks" does not mean that if you believe this way, I am not wrong to believe that way. I have weapon training for MY reasons, does not make me a potential mass murderer. You don't for your reasons in which I would desire you to weigh that reason in this day and time. It is why we have this thread lead by it's creator HRx the second in command here. He allows us to civilly to agree to disagree or at least to air our opinions. I would wish you to consider a gun course, learn a little, be aware of handling something irresponsibly and unsafely, but used to protect you and your family. You don't have to be a survival nut (as I am) to be safe. This I hope you consider. You are a good poster and a vibrant light on this thread. 'Hub

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X