No announcement yet.

Video Gaming Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Funny about you getting one at EB -- I happened to be in EB a week or two ago and saw that they actually had a couple of PS3s in stock on the shelf. If I had the money I could have gotten one. Thats ok though - we got an xbox 360 for xmas

Comment

Originally posted by BK&Filer View Post
      Funny about you getting one at EB -- I happened to be in EB a week or two ago and saw that they actually had a couple of PS3s in stock on the shelf. If I had the money I could have gotten one. Thats ok though - we got an xbox 360 for xmas
      How does the xb360 compare to the ps3 in terms of tech specs?
      The information provided is not, and should not be considered legal advice. All information provided is only informational and should be verified by a law practioner whenever possible. When confronted with legal issues contact an experienced attorney in your state who specializes in the area of law most directly called into question by your particular situation.

Comment

Originally posted by HRx View Post
        Honestly, I didn't really compare - although I hear the PS3 is more advanced. I went with xbox based on it's own merits, price, and available games. I'm sure (or at least hope) that I'll eventually own a PS3 - but not in the forseeable future.

Comment

I own both, and both have their definite pros and cons. The 360 right now is sitting a bit higher because it already has a year in the marketplace and has a much more fleshed out online service (albeit at a $50/year cost). There are some people who are vehemently arguing over which is better, and it me, it is really a moot point. I don't buy a console for capability per se, I buy it for the titles that will be released on it. Sure, IMHO, the PS3 has so much more capability and a brighter future than the 360 does, but neither should be discounted and one should buy according to their (gaming) tastes.

With so many games being released on multiple platforms these days and development costs rising upwards, I think we're going to see fewer and fewer exclusive titles, and those titles that are multi-releases will have very little, if anything to differentiate them from one another.

In all honesty, the system that intrigues me the most is the Wii. Sure the 360 and PS3 may be able to run processor circles around it in terms of graphical prowess, but there will always be plans for a company to introduce something with better visuals. Nintendo has taken the lead in trying to create an immersing experience with the motion sensing capability. To me, that is the major stumbling block. Get that perfected, and the graphics will fall into place at a later time. That and the fact their system is nearly half the cost of the 360 and definitely half the cost of the PS3, and you have a great recipe for success.
          Filed Ch 7: 12/27/07
          341: 2/6/08
          Discharged: 4/11/08
          Finally closing: ???

Comment

Originally posted by BK&Filer View Post
            Honestly, I didn't really compare - although I hear the PS3 is more advanced. I went with xbox based on it's own merits, price, and available games. I'm sure (or at least hope) that I'll eventually own a PS3 - but not in the forseeable future.

3 words for you...

Gears of War

It is unbelievable......

Comment

Originally posted by Runnin on empty View Post
              In all honesty, the system that intrigues me the most is the Wii. Sure the 360 and PS3 may be able to run processor circles around it in terms of graphical prowess, but there will always be plans for a company to introduce something with better visuals. Nintendo has taken the lead in trying to create an immersing experience with the motion sensing capability. To me, that is the major stumbling block. Get that perfected, and the graphics will fall into place at a later time. That and the fact their system is nearly half the cost of the 360 and definitely half the cost of the PS3, and you have a great recipe for success.
              I'm tempted to snag up a xb360 everytime i see one...I'm wondering if the Wii's new concept is really just a gimmick. I'd like to see how they can implement the interactive playing experience with all or many of the upcoming titles. Nintendo actually tried to implement this sort of interactive game playing years ago actually--with some sort of power-glove device. Welp, time will reveal how successful Wii's concept really is.
              The information provided is not, and should not be considered legal advice. All information provided is only informational and should be verified by a law practioner whenever possible. When confronted with legal issues contact an experienced attorney in your state who specializes in the area of law most directly called into question by your particular situation.

Comment

I'm tempted to snag up a xb360 everytime i see one...I'm wondering if the Wii's new concept is really just a gimmick. I'd like to see how they can implement the interactive playing experience with all or many of the upcoming titles. Nintendo actually tried to implement this sort of interactive game playing years ago actually--with some sort of power-glove device. Welp, time will reveal how successful Wii's concept really is.

I agree with you to an extent. The motion sensing capabilities can be something great, but ONLY if they are implemented correctly by the game developers. Case in point, two of the most anticipated Wii launch games:

Zelda:Twilight Princess
                Red Steel

Z:TP has been lauded as a masterpiece, and the use of the wiimote is a part of that success. On the other hand, Red Steel (a game that I personally was very interested in playing) has been thrown into that "gimmick" category.

I don't own a Wii. I got one for my boys but then decided that in all honesty, it will probably be a bit over their heads right now, and since I was able to find a PS3, the extra cash came in handy. I may pick one up this spring/summer after I've saved the cash for it, but my time is already being taken up with more and more 360 and PS3 games that will be released within the next few months.

IMHO, you really can't go wrong with the 360. It is a great machine with an already killer online component (community) that can't be matched anywhere, save for a PC.

Comment

I'm tempted to snag up a PS3 when they become available later during the year. I rather hold out for a PS3 than, a XB360---I just don't see the point in wasting my money on both consoles.

Comment

Nintendo Wii tops Sony's PlayStation 3 in December

By Lisa Baertlein
                    Thu Jan 11, 9:06 PM ET

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Nintendo Co. Ltd. (7974.OS) sold 604,200 of its new Wii video game consoles in the United States in December, beating Sony Corp. (6758.T)(NYSE:SNE - news), which sold 490,700 units of its new PlayStation 3, according to retail market research firm NPD.

Microsoft Corp. (Nasdaq:MSFT - news) sold 1.1 million Xbox 360 video game consoles to consumers in December. Microsoft's console debuted in November 2005, a full year ahead of the Wii and PS3, which were in short supply during the holidays, when the U.S. video game industry rings up about half of its annual sales.

Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo are locked in a battle for the top spot in the $30 billion industry's new console war.

Overall video game and hardware sales were $3.7 billion in December, up 28 percent. Overall sales rose 19 percent in 2006 to $12.5 billion, NPD said.

Game sales, not including titles for personal computers, were up 5.4 percent to $1.7 billion and hardware jumped 59.2 percent to $1.6 billion, fueled by sales of consoles like the high-end PS3 and Xbox 360, which retail for $600 and $400, respectively, in the United States.

NPD receives data representing about two-thirds of U.S. retail sales and makes projections for the remainder of the market based on a sampling of consumers. The figures do not include Canadian sales or those to "mom and pop" retailers, and are among the numerous data points used by analysts to measure the health of the video game market.

"Our numbers in terms of what we have shipped is definitely well above that (NPD) number. What NPD does not account for is the product that is in transit," said Nintendo spokeswoman Perrin Kaplan, who added that the company had a "robust" year.

Sony spokesman Dave Karraker said the company had a record month in December, when according to NPD it rang up total U.S. sales of $1.6 billion.

David Hufford, director of project management for Xbox, said the NPD numbers -- which also showed Xbox 360 life-to-date U.S. sales of 4.5 million -- "are very much in line with what we're seeing here."

Microsoft on Sunday said it had shipped 10.4 million Xbox 360 units worldwide by the end of 2006.

The company had the top-selling game with "Gears of War" for the Xbox 360. Unit sales of the gory shooting game reached 815,700 in December and should top 3 million in total by next week, Hufford told Reuters.

Activision Inc.'s (Nasdaq:ATVI - news) "Guitar Hero II" for the Sony's market-leading PlayStation 2 was the second-biggest seller in December, with unit sales of 805,200.

Electronic Arts Inc.'s (Nasdaq:ERTS - news) "Madden NFL 07," also for the PS2, landed in third place, selling 737,100 copies.

Sony sold 1.4 million units of the PS2, the current leader in the global console market.

Hand-held players were also hot holiday gifts, with consumers snapping up 1.6 million Nintendo DS units and 953,200 PlayStation Portables, NPD said.

Comment

Originally posted by Runnin on empty View Post
                      3 words for you...

Gears of War

It is unbelievable......

one word: halo 3

10 pc wings...........$6.99
                      hunt club shirt........$15.95
                      the smile on my face when i use my hooters mastercard.......priceless
                      PCS, Repo Man

Comment

Did Sony replenish thier suppy of PS3's yet? I actually think I may purchase one of these consoles late spring or early summer if they become available.

Comment

Son snapped up a Wii the other day at work. His Wal-Mart got a new shipment of 9 systems.

Son checks periodically with his Bud in Electronics for when to expect new shipments of different gaming systems. Son happened to ask right after the truck came in and was off loaded.

The Wii came with the Sports package of games and one set of controllers. Evidently, boxing is really kewl. He puts on gloves that have sensors in them and boxes against a virtual opponent. Another person could box, or bowl, or play golf, if we had another set of controllers.

I haven't personally tried the Wii.

Our daughters got Guitar Hero for PS2 and we've been having fun with that.

All our kids' friends think it's kewl that Mom tries to play video games!!
                          Filed Ch 7 - 09/06
                          Discharged - 12/2006
                          Officially Declared No Asset - 03/2007
                          Closed - 04/2007

I am not an attorney. My comments are based on personal experience and research. Always consult an attorney in your area to address concerns related to your particular situation.

Another good thing about being poor is that when you are seventy your children will not have declared you legally insane in order to gain control of your estate. - Woody Allen...

Comment

When son using Wii, make sure his wrist strap always on and stable, there some news with people "flying" their Wii controller as stone objects into... well... you all got a picture at peak gaming/standing excitement.... an expensive $2000 plasma HDTV collision... oops... did I do that!?... !!...

Comment

Originally posted by BKOnce View Post
                              When son using Wii, make sure his wrist strap always on and stable, there some news with people "flying" their Wii controller as stone objects into... well... you all got a picture at peak gaming/standing excitement.... an expensive $2000 plasma HDTV collision... oops... did I do that!?... !!...
                              Nintendo issued a recall on the straps, and provided a thicker strap to prevent further incidences. lol

Comment

Smashing an Plasma/HDTV wouldn't be an issue at our house. We're too poor to afford one!!
                                Filed Ch 7 - 09/06
                                Discharged - 12/2006
                                Officially Declared No Asset - 03/2007
                                Closed - 04/2007

I am not an attorney. My comments are based on personal experience and research. Always consult an attorney in your area to address concerns related to your particular situation.

Another good thing about being poor is that when you are seventy your children will not have declared you legally insane in order to gain control of your estate. - Woody Allen...

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X