Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmmm....

Originally posted by scammer
    So what will stop the growth in your opinion? I think you living there will have an interesting perspective. I truly don't understand why prices are doing that, I thought the insurability would wack the growth.

I've been back & forth to FL since 1980...I watched Ft. Lauderdale expand west into the swamps...here on the gulf coast we're expanding east into the swamps....

I think this insurance issue is going to certainly have a ripple effect on everyone......I don't know if the growth is going to slow down or you're just going to see a new kind of Florida lifestyle emerge...Something's in the air is what I feel...

I've been down here since 1991 and the weather's gotten stranger than ever...it's just not the Florida I grew up with...

I think I'll be heading to Arizona in a few years....
    Filed Oct 2005discharged February 2007,Shapeless in the fire's glow, tell me if you think you know,
    Who it was we were below, where we've been and where we go

Comment

Ah, so Florida is the new California!

A couple minutes from my modest home is a new development with a sign that reads, "Prices in the low $1,000,000's." As if saying "in the low" before one million makes you feel better!
      Yo ho, Yo ho, a pirates life for me
      Discharged 9/1/04

Comment

Real Estate prices are high in Massachusetts too...a medium size colonial house is averaging at $500k. Anything less that $500k is pretty much going to be a fixer-upper! The closer you get to the Boston metro area, the more absurd the prices get!
        The information provided is not, and should not be considered legal advice. All information provided is only informational and should be verified by a law practioner whenever possible. When confronted with legal issues contact an experienced attorney in your state who specializes in the area of law most directly called into question by your particular situation.

Comment

Disney girl,

That cracks me up homes being in the low 1,000,000's. When I lived in Atlanta last year there was a neighborhood I used to drive by that said from the low 900,000's. I always thought who cares if you can buy in the 9's if it is high or low!

Comment

Trends changing

Originally posted by robivi3 View Post
            Home prices are still going up here despite everything. One of our TH's just sold for 267,000, 239,000 was three months ago. For the heck of it we looked up my parents old house on Miami Beach, now this isn't my house and my Dads current wife has gone through his money like water and we lived here a LONG time ago, a WORLD has passed away since then and i have no connection to my Dads former wealth, my life is radically different from my upbringing, so please no "wha' hoppen" questions. I'm happy, never taught anything about $$$$ by the parentals and thought everyone had everything, yadayadayada, doesn't matter now.

The old house is a one acre home on Indian Creek on Miami Beach, it is 4700 square feet plus two one bedroom servants apartments plus a four car garage. It is valued at 2.17 million right now and rose $47,000.00 IN ONE STINKING MONTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is no joke, the market value increased that much in a month.

There seems to be some movement in pricing. I have had some clients close in Florida at great prices. The market seems to be changing.
            According to folks posting in City-Dataforum.com they are sayiong that even with the insurance rise the Florida is still cheaper to live in, I thought we were done for and people are still coming.
            There seems to be some movement in pricing. I have had some clients close in Florida at great prices. The market seems to be changing.

Comment

Florida's home prices are crazy like everywhere else...it's just harder to make a mortgage payment here when they only pay in sunshine!
              Filed Oct 2005discharged February 2007,Shapeless in the fire's glow, tell me if you think you know,

Comment

Originally posted by AMISLANDER View Post
                Florida's home prices are crazy like everywhere else...it's just harder to make a mortgage payment here when they only pay in sunshine!
                Yeah no crap, but they did raise the minimum wage to 6.40, and of course that means everywhere now pays a 'competitive' wage of $7.00

Comment

Originally posted by FilingOnMyOwn View Post
                  Yeah no crap, but they did raise the minimum wage to 6.40, and of course that means everywhere now pays a 'competitive' wage of $7.00
                  My boyfriend works for a condo association doing maintenance (10/hr) and the Board decided that Jan 1st they would get a fifty cent raise (.50) for cost of living......cost of living...hey...Tropicana is raising the price of OJ here from 2.32 to 2.60 at least due to the bad crop...cost of living??? I know we're moving out of this state next year for sure.......it is too expensive to live here any more if you're not a snowbird...

and the insurance issue still remains...

Comment

Yeah its a bunch of crap. I can name at least a handful of things that have recently doubled in price: gas/energy, housing, healthcare, insurance, all in the past couple years. Yet I still make less money than I made 10 years ago, with more work experience? If one is not a doctor or lawyer these days, yeah most of them may as well just forget about expecting to have a decent life

Comment

The prices of real estate in MA. is still demanding high prices. But houses just aren't selling fast. They are remaining on the market for several months now. Hell, you wont even be able to buy a single-family house in MA, unless you plan on spending $500,000. $250,000 - $350,000 will get you a very, very modest house up here. The only area in which the prices in MA are low(er) is Western MA. Everything that's South, or North of Boston, is obscenely, and unrealistically expensive! The sad part of it all, is MA, loses a lot of residents each year because of poor job growth, and high-cost-of-living! So if you're considering relocating to MA, think twice, and do your homework first!! The general job market in MA, is piss-poor, and the housing market is ass-out here too!
                      The information provided is not, and should not be considered legal advice. All information provided is only informational and should be verified by a law practioner whenever possible. When confronted with legal issues contact an experienced attorney in your state who specializes in the area of law most directly called into question by your particular situation.

Comment

Originally posted by FilingOnMyOwn View Post
                        Yeah its a bunch of crap. I can name at least a handful of things that have recently doubled in price: gas/energy, housing, healthcare, insurance, all in the past couple years. Yet I still make less money than I made 10 years ago, with more work experience? If one is not a doctor or lawyer these days, yeah most of them may as well just forget about expecting to have a decent life
                        And when you think about the following: gas/energy, housing, healthcare, insurance they're required essentials of life!! These very things will/can economic crisis for Americans, if they aren't addressed with ASAP!! The abnornal pace of the rising cost of these expenses, are only putting Americans in deeper debt each year!

Comment

Cost of living vs. even an above min. paycheck

I'm gonna get deep here for a minute....

I know that it's not the responsibility of the government to make sure everyone has enough $, food, cars, etc....(which is what I keep telling my mom, yes the FL trustee can take my car because I own it, no, he doesn't care how I get to work, that's not his problem)...

But, in reality even though, yeah, they raised the minimum wage in FL, other places too, the cost of just surviving is way more than minimum. You need to work at least two minimum wage jobs just to support on person in FL, my state at the present. Another working adult making at leat $10 an hour certainly helps...add children...parents aren't eating...basically that simple unless there's another source of income....

In the past few years when most of us were racking up our bills, I think you can see the picture...we couldn't keep up the payments because we weren't bringing in enough, some of us...just to cover basic needs that credit cards helped supplement...and those of us with addictions, forget about it....we got into our addictions trying to either escape from or bridge the gap between what we spent and how we were going to get it back...

I don't know about where you live, but here, in my little Florida town, if, case in point, my bf makes $10/hr...take home $335 a week, $1340/mo.....if he lived alone & payed $750/mo. on a 1/1 apt....basic rate around my area before you hit the island, had car insurance of $100/mo., cell phone $50, electric $75, cable $45, we're at $1,020...so he has $300 leftover for food...lucky he's only one person, eh....and we all know the stories & some of you have them, of how to feed a family (i.e. 3 or more) on $300 a month....how do the necessities of clothing, dental, gas, come into play....

I guess what I'm saying even above the minimum, you can just scrape by....but it just doesn't seem right....

now I know, not everyone can make $100K a year & drive a Lexus, but, damn....there is no middle class anymore with the prices of average homes reaching $500K....unless you inherit it, it ain't happening....

and getting charged for $175 for cut & color, women are having a hard time being women...WTF?

I just think we are going to end up living a Charleton Heston soylent green lifestyle if things continue like they are...

Filed: October 6, 2005

341: November 15, 2005 (Tampa)

Discharged: February 19, 2006

Closed: who knows? trustee was sent the IRS refund, but now the IRS wants $$ from 2004...I may be in limbo forever & ever...
                          Last edited by HRx; 11-08-2006, 11:42 AM.

Comment

Yes..

Here in southern NJ in a decent area where you will not get shot a three bed, 2.5 bath will run you about $250,000 to closer to $450,000. My mothers home was tax appriased at $130,000 years ago but would sel for around $290,000 even with 1.5 baths and no central air!
                            Over the highway here in macmansions ville where they have three car hummer houses attached to 4-5 bed 3 bath homes they sold for $485,000 to $800,000 about five years ago. Now they are going from $680,000-1,300,000.
                            Our taxes are $7,000. Hummervilles are about $14,000 to $18,000 a year. We are about 20 miles outside Philadelphia.

North Jersey is much worse. You have a have a six figure income to even rent really in Most of Bergan county. (near NYC)

My husband & I are in a dilemma as we cant afford to stay here but would like to buy a house someday. We both like warm weather but after reading this Florida seems out of reach? I didnt like Arizona much & New Mexico seems a bit to country. If I live in density I want convenience though. Not to be sandwiched inbetween fifteen subdivisions surrounded by eight lane highways to strip malls....however, Since we are White/Asian mix we need more diversity! Right now we live in an area where the school system is great but my kids are 'looked at'. The school is 99.% white...We have no idea where to go.
                            Whatamess

BTW

That quote below is the same my mother & older sister keep saying. I'm like, since when has uncle sam given a hoot about people like me??? You bet they will take it if they can! Some people just dont get it. There are no handouts and nothing comes for free.
                            Whatamess

[QUOTE=AMISLANDER;72172]I'm gonna get deep here for a minute....

I know that it's not the responsibility of the government to make sure everyone has enough $, food, cars, etc....(which is what I keep telling my mom, yes the FL trustee can take my car because I own it, no, he doesn't care how I get to work, that's not his problem)...
                            ch7 8/07 CLOSED: 11/07 Rebuilding and saving.
                            WAMU unsecured $2,000 Capital One unsecured $500
                            PAID OFF MONTHLY!!!

Comment

Another Insurance blow f/FL

Non-homesteaded beach properties in my area are being dropped by citizens insurance...was in my island paper today....Anna Maria Island...of which 2/3 is rental properties...imagine the uproar soon to follow

Comment

Hell even though the real estate market is slow/stagnant here in MA, the prices are still unrealistically high! Paying $500,000 for a modest colonial style house is absurd, especially if one doesn't have the capital to make a large down-payment.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X