No announcement yet.

Rising food prices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My advice is to watch the marketing ploys in your local food stores.

I went into our neighborhood market for a few things, one of which was mustard. So I'm in the store doing my rounds and I pass by this 'end-of-the-aisle' or 'end-cap' to the aisle of a display of mustard bottles from some new off-the-wall company I had never heard of, and all the sales promotionals were screaming: 'Special: $1.23', yada, yada.
    I went around to the regular spot on the shelving where mustard usually resides, and yes, this new mustard was there, but French's sold at $1.99. The regular 'house' mustard was $0.85. All of these are the same size. So just be aware......
    "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCat View Post
      My advice is to watch the marketing ploys in your local food stores.

I went into our neighborhood market for a few things, one of which was mustard. So I'm in the store doing my rounds and I pass by this 'end-of-the-aisle' or 'end-cap' to the aisle of a display of mustard bottles from some new off-the-wall company I had never heard of, and all the sales promotionals were screaming: 'Special: $1.23', yada, yada.
      I went around to the regular spot on the shelving where mustard usually resides, and yes, this new mustard was there, but French's sold at $1.99. The regular 'house' mustard was $0.85. All of these are the same size. So just be aware......
      Yup, that is what the end caps are there for. Most people see it on the end and think, "Wow, it is on sale, what a bargain" never realizing they have been had.
      Chapter 13 filed -8/12/04
      Plan approved- 7/11/05
      Date discharged--10-12-2007
      Date closed- 12/6/2007:yes2::yes2:

Comment

Originally posted by arkienurse View Post
        Yup, that is what the end caps are there for. Most people see it on the end and think, "Wow, it is on sale, what a bargain" never realizing they have been had.
        I will also add that mustard is one of those generic-will-do purchases, IMO. (Just like most condiments, but unlike paper towels and, say, dishwashing liquid. )
        "You can never get enough of what you don't need to make you happy."
        6/16/08: Attorney approached lenders to surrender old home
        8/26/08: Met w/attorney RE: filing BK
        9/29/08: Filing Chapter 7

Comment

How much are you folks spending these days and what is the quality of your diet? We were spending $600.00 bi-weekly several years ago and eating well. That was for five. Today I basically shop for two (explain later) and am spending about 300-400 bi-weekly to eat well. That 600 was feeding three all consuming teens. Unreal how things have risen. We do specials like crazy. Pasta night is now two nights per week (whole wheat pasta).

Most of my buys are either Publix or Winn Dixie "Superbrand" and not name items. Publix name brand is always high quality but lower priced. Winn Dixie give really big breaks with their card and you also get get a coupon for $10.00 off $75 or more if you return no sooner than three and no later than eight days later. My CVS has paid off hugely in extra bucks and typically i get one free gallon of MacArthur Milk per week.
          Last edited by robivi3; 08-22-2008, 05:26 AM.
          "You once asked me for advice. You want some now? Never pass up a good thing." Lieutenant Jean Rasczak, Starship Troopers

Join the Mobile Infantry and save the world. Service guarantees citizenship.

Comment

Originally posted by robivi3 View Post
            How much are you folks spending these days and what is the quality of your diet? We were spending $600.00 bi-weekly several years ago and eating well. That was for five. Today I basically shop for two (explain later) and am spending about 300-400 bi-weekly to eat well. That 600 was feeding three all consuming teens. Unreal how things have risen. We do specials like crazy. Pasta night is now two nights per week (whole wheat pasta).

Most of my buys are either Publix or Winn Dixie "Superbrand" and not name items. Publix name brand is always high quality but lower priced. Winn Dixie give really big breaks with their card and you also get get a coupon for $10.00 off $75 or more if you return no sooner than three and no later than eight days later. My CVS has paid off hugely in extra bucks and typically i get one free gallon of MacArthur Milk per week.
            I'm in South Florida as well and we're spending about $325-$350 biweekly for good and relatively healthy food. We eat fresh salads every day, and whatever fresh fruits/veggies are in season and therefore on sale. I shop at Publix (Publix brand whenever possible) for everything but excluding chicken, beef, fish and pork. I buy the latter at one of several Latin supermarkets in my area and always get amazing deals and personal service from the butchers. My deep freezer is very well stocked with their specials. Every 3 weeks or so, Sedano's Supermarket has fresh boneless and skinless chicken breasts for $.99/lb. Can't beat that!

I've never felt comfortable with Winn Dixie's card system. I'd rather just know outright how much I'm paying for what, rather than having to read on the label that it costs $10 but with the card, it costs $6, blah, blah, blah. I know many people who love Winn Dixie so I'm sure it's just a quirk of mine. Also, I find that the Publix store brand is far superior to Winn Dixie's Superbrand. Again, I'm sure it's just personal preference.

I dumped Walgreens 3 weeks ago after 30-odd years (!!!!!) and am now with CVS. I think CVS (our old Eckerd's... remember, Robivi?) is far superior as to savings, product variety, and customer service.
            BK 7 filed and discharged in 2004 after 30+ years of perfect credit. Life HAPPENS.

Comment

CVS is much cheaper and has more product variety in my opinion too. I have a Walgreens and an Eckerd in my town but I always go to CVS anymore because I just can't afford to pay a little more for everything in their stores, as it tends to add up to lost money as you all know.
              Hi, I'm new here.

(Link Removed By Moderator)

Comment

My total grocery bill is 1k for a family of 4.

Comment

Found the comissary at parris Island about 1/3 cheaper than my local store, got a few things, not much. Very nice store though.
                  "You once asked me for advice. You want some now? Never pass up a good thing." Lieutenant Jean Rasczak, Starship Troopers

Join the Mobile Infantry and save the world. Service guarantees citizenship.

Comment

I have a new find for groceries. 99cent store that sells food. Unbelievable good deals. Everything is 99cents. I bought a cantalope, a honeydew mellon, a big bag of schredded carrots (usually a small bag is 2.49). a can of carpet cleaner, big calliflower, all for .99 each. They have everything there nothing over .99. I dont know if there in other parts of the US but if you can find one..I suggust you check it out..Amazing.

Comment

Has anyone been to Aldi??? I save a ton of money by shopping there for just my bread, milk, and eggs.

Local grocery store gallon of milk: $3.79
                      Aldi Milk: $2.49
                      Local grocery store cheap store brand bread: $1.79
                      Aldi white bread: $.79
                      Local grocery store 12 grain bread: $3.79
                      Aldi 12 grain: $1.59
                      Local grocery store dozen eggs: $1.99
                      Aldi dozen eggs: $.99

These are the items we go through the most of in a month. My family goes through at least one loaf of bread a day and 3-4 gallons of milk per week.

It really adds up fast.

Comment

We dont have any of those in So. Ca. bummer

Comment

Sorry, maybe you will soon. A year ago we only had 3 in the whole state of Minnesota, now there is 23.

Everyone else,
                          Their website is www.aldifoods.com click on their store locator and choose your state. It would be worth checking out. Our grocery bill has dropped dramatically.

Comment

Originally posted by Tbornetun View Post
                            Has anyone been to Aldi??? I save a ton of money by shopping there for just my bread, milk, and eggs.

Local grocery store gallon of milk: $3.79
                            Aldi Milk: $2.49
                            Local grocery store cheap store brand bread: $1.79
                            Aldi white bread: $.79
                            Local grocery store 12 grain bread: $3.79
                            Aldi 12 grain: $1.59
                            Local grocery store dozen eggs: $1.99
                            Aldi dozen eggs: $.99

These are the items we go through the most of in a month. My family goes through at least one loaf of bread a day and 3-4 gallons of milk per week.

It really adds up fast.
                            Chapter 7 07/30/2008
                            341 09/17/2008
                            Discharge 11/21/2008

Comment

.99 cent stores are in Ca. Az, Nevada, and Texas so those of you that live in those states check it out...you'll be amazed. A really big honeydew for less than a buck? Pleeezeeee!!!

Comment

.99 cent stores are also great for things like ziplock bags, household cleaning supplies and soap and shampoo if you're not too picky about those things. I always get mine there now.

Another source of inexpensive food is the SHARE food organization. You'll have to do an internet search for your area. They're national, but each local branch has their own website/contact info. It's like a grocery co-op, where you trade a promise to do volunteer work for your community, family and friends in exchange for buying food boxes at up to 50% off retail.

Boxes include staples like meats, eggs, cheese, potatoes, carrots, onions, peppers, other vegetables, fruits and more. Our share even offers an organic veggie box which is far less expensive than the local organic programs. I'd completely given up organics and now I'm able to get some on occasion again.

There are no income requirements to participate, the food is decent, sometimes local grown, and its kinda fun opening up your boxes and seeing whats inside, since they're always a surprise or two not on the listing when you order.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X