How to survive the Great Depression of 2008 - 2009

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to survive the Great Depression of 2008 - 2009

It doesn't matter what the economic crisis of the time there are many plans put out by various gurus such as Dave Ramsey.

Basically most of them tell us to do the following:

1. Keep house payment to no more than 25% of your income.
    2. Keep 3-6 months of readily available cash in an emergency fund. (this should be enough to cover expenses in those times)
    3. Avoid debt for anything other than housing/education (and if you can for education that's even better). (Yeah you can buy an older car without debt that runs just fine)
    4. Keep on hand 3-6 months worth of food in non perishable form.
    May 31st, 2007: Petition Filed by my lawyer
    July 2nd, 2007: 341 Meeting Held
    September 4th, 2007: Discharged and Closed.

Comment

All of these ideas for surviving are easy workable ideas. It just takes a short time to get them built up. Call it an emergency fund, safety net, whatever, but it does work during a crisis.

THINK before you spend money on materialistic things. Do I have emergency money if I need it? Can I feed my family should something happen where I can't work, etc....

Way too many folks live from paycheck to paycheck in our society today!!!

Start an emergency fund just by throwing your change back EVERYDAY. Every few months put it in a emergency fund interest bearing account. You will be amazed at how fast it adds up...

GIVE YOURSELF SOME PEACE OF MIND...........
      Minny

"It's amazing the paths that our feet sometimes follow in life".

My suggestions are from "personal experience" and research only. Do not consider this as legal advice. Each bankruptcy case is different.

Comment

I totally agree with having an emergency fund. We had years worth of money, when I was no longer employed. Once this is over, we will start building another one.

I also agree that pride does destroy finances.

Comment

Original web link for above article (which has more links):

http://www.politicalgateway.com/news/read/140497
          “When fascism comes to America, it’ll be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross” — Sinclair Lewis

Comment

I think a nice blender of pina coladas would be necessary as well.
            Filed Oct 2005discharged February 2007,Shapeless in the fire's glow, tell me if you think you know,
            Who it was we were below, where we've been and where we go

Comment

how many people think were headied towards a Great depression?? I can see a minor recession happening.. By the true economic definition of a recession- two consecutive quarters of negative GDP (gross dmoestic product)- we aren't even in a recession yet...

Comment

A recession is when your neighbor loses his job.

A depression is when you lose your job.

Comment

Originally posted by AMISLANDER View Post
                  I think a nice blender of pina coladas would be necessary as well.

ahhh...lots of captain morgan & jamaican rum in the pantry, for sure

Comment

Clap, Clap, Clap, on my hero Mr./Ms. Bankruptpinoy, I have lived by this creed. I do believe we are WAY behind a major depression. When the silver went out of coins it was a bit of warning.

That being said, I have posted this before: Store long term food, ammo, have a place to go, if you have a safe place now STAY there, you do not want to be greeted at some place in the mountains holding your guns and eating your food.

I'm old enough to have "heard" from my parents and grandpa, about the "Great Depression". It was not fun, and people died. Police killed union members. GO to your F'ing library and READ this. Your ten dollar bill you cannot eat, your gold ingot, you cannot eat. But you can trade coffee for some 22 long rifle bullets from a friendly neighbor.

A great book to read and it is relevant today: "Alas Babylon" Pat Frank. A great movie, the "Edge" or the "Postman", really good about self sufficiency. There are more I'm sure.

Thank you 'pinoye. 'Hub
                    If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by Bandit View Post
                      ahhh...lots of captain morgan & jamaican rum in the pantry, for sure
                      Appleton rum from Jamaica is to die for. But so is Barbancourt from Haiti. Mount Gay from Barbados is quite good too.

Yep, I know my rum. But then again, my daughter worked as a bartender for almost 2 years while going to college, so I learned a lot from her.
                      BK 7 filed and discharged in 2004 after 30+ years of perfect credit. Life HAPPENS.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott50 View Post
                        how many people think were headied towards a Great depression?? I can see a minor recession happening.. By the true economic definition of a recession- two consecutive quarters of negative GDP (gross dmoestic product)- we aren't even in a recession yet...
                        We are pretty much on the brink. Right now the problems are being felt more in rural America than in urban areas. Rural America does not have public transportation and live generally to far from their work to walk to work or ride a bike. So the increased gas prices is impacting them even more even as increased food prices are. They also generally make less money than their urban peers.

Your food bill could increase by 20-30% by the fall with all the flooding along the Mississippi. This increase will affect meat prices, cereals, canned food, etc.

Thus the elements needed for a Depression are already in place.

That's the problem with the standard market indicators. The government has manipulated them for years. Real Inflation is closer to 13% then what they claim and its rising. They also have a habit of revising the numbers months later, so we could be in a recession and they won't tell us til next year when most Americans agree we are in one.
                        May 31st, 2007: Petition Filed by my lawyer
                        July 2nd, 2007: 341 Meeting Held
                        September 4th, 2007: Discharged and Closed.

Comment

Having seeds on hand might help, but knowing how to grow from seed and how to harvest might even be better. If you get seeds, get standards as oppose to hybrids. Study on how to harvest your own seeds. Such crops such as cabbage take considerable amount more time to learn how to harvest than other types of plants.

Rethink about toilet paper. I know, it is an off subject, but in the West, we flush toilet paper down the toilet (toilet paper is bought by money) wereas in the East, they don't use toilet paper.

As AngelinaCatHub mentioned, have at least one weapon and know how to use it. Consider how much ammo you might need. If you think you might hunt for food, you should probably start learning how to do that now. If you get into being a survivalist, remember under every rock is a meal. I have eaten grasshoppers, grubs, frogs, turtles, even a few rats, and I can say, if they are prepared right, they are a delicatcy.

Try to arrange your life that in the worse case senario, you can walk to work or ride a bicycle.

Learn how to do home maintenance.

Eat home more instead of out. Barbequing can be a treat.

If you live where we do, we are told the city has an evacuation plan in case something happens. They never tell us what the plan(s) is/are. Things are not like they were during the cold war when we had fallout shelters, supplies, equipment, etc. Expect to be on your own and plan ahead various evacuation routes. Take into consideration water, food source, etc.
                          Golden Jubilee was a year-long celebration held every 50 years in which all bondmen were freed, mortgaged lands were restored to the original owners, and land was left fallow: Lev. 25:8-17

Comment

Originally posted by Scott50 View Post
                            Keyword YET.

I don't know about a depression, but we are definitely headed into a recession if we aren't there yet. And opinions on this will vary as much as the mere definition of the word does.

As an aside to this, all ladies out there, this is a great time to sell old tangled, kinked, broken gold and silver chains, earrings that are unmatched etc, stuff you are never going to wear again as scrap on eBay. I just did that recently and pocketed a little extra money. There are people hoarding gold and sterling on eBay right now due to speculation. You can do a search for scrap gold on eBay to see what it might bring and then sell it by weight.

Be happy to help you with this if you have any further questions.

ep
                            California Bankruptcy Central

Comment

Rethink about toilet paper. I know, it is an off subject, but in the West, we flush toilet paper down the toilet (toilet paper is bought by money) wereas in the East, they don't use toilet paper.
                              I'm really sorry but you're going to have to explain that one to me. What exactly do they use in the East....

I have been East and don't ever recall a lack of toilet paper. Or perhaps they just had it on hand for us spendy Westerners.

ep
                              California Bankruptcy Central

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X