Why can't I sleep?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why can't I sleep?

I am physicaly and mentaly exauhsted and yet I can't sleep. My mind won't shut up.

Anyone else have this problem? What do you do? It's been like this for the last few nights. Makes the commute and the work day very hard...
    Filed Chapter 13 05/23/08
    Converted to Chapter 7 Jan 2012
    Discharged April 2012

Have you tried some Melatonin? That could help you settle into a sleep.

Comment

I was like that a couple of months ago. It was so bad that I was up for two days straight with no sleep. I didn't know if I was dealing with stress, depression, or both. I ended up going to my family doctor about this and he said it was insomnia. He wrote me a prescription for Ambien.
      Filed: 5/22/07; 341 Hearing: 6/27/07;
      Confirmed: 8/13/07; DISCHARGED 4/17/2012

Comment

I took, only for a short period of time, Tylenol PM. Worked like a charm. Your doctor can also prescribe something like Lunesta or Ambien.

I only took mine for a very short period of time, and not every night -- so as not to build dependence.

This is coming from a guy who does not take medicine for anything! For most of my life, I wouldn't even take Tylenol for a headache.
        Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
        Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

HUbby was just put on lunesta and it isn't working for anything. Was about to ask for ambien instead. But he works a rotating shift where it switches *weekly* so I'm doubtful any med will work for him anyway.

I hope you find something that helps. I agree with trying the tylenol PM.

Comment

Let me add that my sleeplessness is usually tied to stress, although I'll be the first to say that I have none. It's usually work or life related. I find myself busy in thought and telling myself (in my mind) to SHUT UP!

Generally, when you're like this, you need a sleep aid to assist with falling to sleep. Again, I was totally shocked at how well the sleep aids can work. At the same time, I didn't want to be dependent on them. They do require you to dedicate 7-8 hours of rest when using them.

When I do use Tylenol PM (can't remember the last time, but I have about 8 left), I took them about 1 hour before wanting to go to sleep. Set my TV Timer to 60 minutes... and never remember much after that.

I hope you get through this period of time and uncertainty. May your mind find peace and solace.
            Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
            Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

I usually can tell ahead of time if I am going to have a night where my mind won't shut off. I take (1) Tylenol PM and I sleep all night. If I take (2), I am too sleepy still in the morning.
              Chapter 7 filed 10/21/2008
              341 - 11/26 went smooth NO ASSET
              Took 115 days after 341 - But Finally DISCHARGED 3/25/09

Comment

Hi. My mother is taking Melatonin and it helps her.

Also, please consider removing all electronic devices-digital alarm clock, computer, tv, radio-any of that from your bedroom.

Hope you get some rest. I went 6 months without REM sleep and I turned into a zombie of sorts-very compliant. It was awful.

Comment

Nitequell works also...but lately when I take it I have aweful nightmares. So I'm sticking with the Melatonin...

Comment

Before filing, I had the same problem of my mind not shutting up. The "what ifs", "should haves", and "how are we gonnas..." kept me from getting a good nights sleep. I would lay there in dark for hours just thinking. A lot of the time I would give up and try to watch a movie. The movie kept my mind off things for a while, but once it was over & I tried to sleep again all those thoughts would come rushing back.

Instead of taking Tylenol PM like I used to, I stared taking Simply Sleep. It is the same thing as the Tylenol PM, but without the acetaminophen. It only has the sleep ingredient in it. It works just as well as the TPM. I've been able to find it at Sam's and Wal-Mart.

Once we filed, I slept much, much better and even more so after our 341. I still have to take the Simply Sleep, but I can now sleep a good 8-9 hours as opposed to the 4-5 I was getting before.

If you are thinking about going to the dr. for help, I would ask him about Xanex instead of Ambien or another sleep aid. Xanex isn't a sleep aid, it is a mild tranquilizer. It will relax you enough to where your mind isn't constantly turning. You simply won't care anymore and be able to drift off.... assuming you are tired. If you aren't tired or sleepy, you can fight it. IMO, it is much better than Ambien, which can have some nasty side effects/reactions. I've read and heard some crazy stories about people doing some dangerous and weird things after they take it. I've even got a close friend that has a horrible story of when he took Ambien. Of course, the side-effects don't happen with everyone that takes it, but personally I wouldn't risk it. My husband used to take Xanex and both his parents still do, other than having to shake it off in the morning (which doesn't take long) they have never complained of any side-effects.

Comment

Originally posted by chloe0724 View Post
                      I am physicaly and mentaly exauhsted and yet I can't sleep. My mind won't shut up.

Anyone else have this problem? What do you do? It's been like this for the last few nights. Makes the commute and the work day very hard...
                      Are you a coffee, tea, or soda drinker? If so, cut the caffeine in the afternoon and evening. It will help you tremendously but you will go through a bit of caffeine withdrawal with headaches, etc. for several days but you will feel great afterwards. I also suggest one Tylenol PM if the above is not an issue. Also the stress of many things to do and on your mind creates anxiety and you can also awake in the middle of the night with all that on your mind also at 2:00 a.m. and not be able to get back to sleep and then need to get up for work. It creates a vicious cycle. If things bother you on your mind that much, make lists and update them daily. It alleviates thinking you will forget to do something or take care of something. If it all continues, seek your doctor - you could be suffering from depression.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

Flamingo,

You;re exactly right. I finaly fell asleep last night only to wake in a start because I had to double check a transfer I made into the checking account. It's nuts, I knew I had done it, but at 3am I had to check again. I fell back alseep after checking only to have my alarm go off at 6am.

I am going to try some sleep aid of some sort.

Thanks for all the advice.
                        Filed Chapter 13 05/23/08
                        Converted to Chapter 7 Jan 2012
                        Discharged April 2012

Comment

I think everyone experiences periods of sleeplessness during the bankruptcy process. I know I did...... Seems I dreamed about bankruptcy all night too, going over paperwork, things that could happen.

Often we do need an "aid" of some kind temporarily to help us get over the rough edges where I mind keeps "working overtime".......

Don't be afraid to ask for help..... your doctor will more than understand.....
                          Minny

"It's amazing the paths that our feet sometimes follow in life".

My suggestions are from "personal experience" and research only. Do not consider this as legal advice. Each bankruptcy case is different.

Comment

When I am too stressed to sleep, I take Tylenol PM. It works like a charm. Thankfully I am normally a good sleeper, but we still keep a bottle of Tylenol PM in the house for those times when there is a lot of stress in our lives.

Comment

Trying exercising to see if this helps reduce stress and makes you sleep better. Luckily, I sleep like a dead dog.
                              The information provided is not, and should not be considered legal advice. All information provided is only informational and should be verified by a law practioner whenever possible. When confronted with legal issues contact an experienced attorney in your state who specializes in the area of law most directly called into question by your particular situation.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X