No announcement yet.

Rising Gas Prices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We have seen a housing price Boom like no other in South Florida. I have seriously thought about moving into a new Townhome. The cheapest is $306,000.00 for a new one in Tamarac. Having faced "the ides of 80's cheap construction" in this home it is tempting. However I think such a move would be disastrous. i think the upgrades paid out of pocket with OT are the better option. We are getting ready to pull down the Masonite and have the front stuccoed. You cannot do-it-yourself in Sunrise. Code enforcement here is unbelievable and it is a big deal. Do-it-yourself (unlicensed, no permit) will be caught right away. we are also doing other upgrades.

I say this because I believe that we have not seen the trickle down from fuel prices. Right now the Venezuelan and other Latin economies are driving investment into South Florida. I firmly believe that we are reaching the plateau of creativity and affordability. There are no more ways to create to finance. The fuel situation will cause a downturn in the economy. Depending on Mr. Chavez the Condo/TH market here could change overnite. Especially if he siezes private assets and HE WILL. People here are telling me I am nuts and that we are out of land so prices will remain high. We are NOT out of land, there is always more land, we are out of non-federal lands which can change hands as we all know.

I do believe that here because of all these factors we will see a price adjustment and I want to stay on the low equity side of the equation. People do not realize that the fuel problem is global and that prices in Colombia are the same as here, my Mother-in-law is there now.

The effect of fuel prices will be felt during and even more after after this winter, the slightest glitch in the Middle East can change economics drastically. I fear that the other shoe is really about to drop.

My recommendation is to stay out of debt, pay your home if able and secure some tangibles. We are headed for problems.
    Last edited by robivi3; 11-07-2005, 04:10 PM.
    "You once asked me for advice. You want some now? Never pass up a good thing." Lieutenant Jean Rasczak, Starship Troopers

Join the Mobile Infantry and save the world. Service guarantees citizenship.

Comment

Originally posted by robivi3
      My recommendation is to stay out of debt, pay your home if able and secure some tangibles. We are headed for problems.
      I think that you are absolutely 100% re: the future, unless things change drastically in the very near future. I will not get into a political discussion, but, I agree that we are headed for problems.
      Tangibles are and will be important, however, don't leave out the intangibles. When I remarried 8 years ago, my wife chose a memory over a diamond. She said, Buy me a simple fold band and let's go somewhere or do something that will be a memory forever. 10 days in England and Ireland and a memory which we cherish and which cannot be taken away by anyone or anything.
      BTW, At the time I had the money and very little was put on credit.
      So, when times get really tough, don't forget the intangibles.
      32 years ago, my late and former father in law, who was a very hard working, conservative and frugal man, gave me this advice..."If you're ever down to your last dollar, spend it on something fun!" Art

Comment

Dropping nicely here

Originally posted by Pinktiger
        Gas here is $2.07. I have no idea why, but in the last week it has dropped from $2.69 to this. Oh, on edit: I'm in SW Missouri. This price is Joplin.

I'm heading that way next year (Have land purchase agreement...woohoo!) Got gas at $2.47 here...Boy that's a nice feeling, wish I could have filled, but had to make the bill collectors happy. (Gosh, wouldn't want someones friends/bedmates disappointed ) and so, just $10 worth.

Comment

Originally posted by robivi3

The effect of fuel prices will be felt during and even more after after this winter, the slightest glitch in the Middle East can change economics drastically. I fear that the other shoe is really about to drop.
          I think you mean the slightest itch of greed in the Middle East can change things.

I truly do not believe that we are "running out of oil." I believe that it is a replenishing resource, and that old statment of running out was created by types who wanted to scare people into paying higher prices.

On the other hand, we DEFINITELY need to delete our dependence upon the Middle East. They hate us so much, but they sure love our American dollars.
          Last edited by tinroofrusted; 11-08-2005, 04:04 AM.
          BUSY running my own credit repair services! Sorry I don't stop in so often any more!

Comment

I'm wondering if that after a company feels it's "Depleted" an oil field, they don't maybe go back after 20-40 years and look again...

Comment

Tin, there were never enough Dinosaurs to supply all the oil we've used. I believe you are absolutely correct. You are one of the few people i have met that shares this belief. It is in fact a fact.
              "You once asked me for advice. You want some now? Never pass up a good thing." Lieutenant Jean Rasczak, Starship Troopers

Comment

The cheapests I've gotten to date has been $2.02 :-)
                The information provided is not, and should not be considered legal advice. All information provided is only informational and should be verified by a law practioner whenever possible. When confronted with legal issues contact an experienced attorney in your state who specializes in the area of law most directly called into question by your particular situation.

Comment

Down to $2.39 and hopefully by the 16th, it should be at a nice enough level

Comment

Down to $1.98 here. Haven't needed to buy gas since last week, will probably fill up on Friday at Kroger where we'll get an additional $.10 off. Hoping it drops another few cents before then.
                    Most of my information is from personal experience or HOURS and HOURS of online research. When you're searching online, keep in mind there is no guarantee that the info is completely up to date, and your situation is unique from anyone else's. Do your homework, and consult with an attorney so you can make an informed decision.

Comment

And I thought the spike in gas prices back in '99 & '00 was bad!! lol
                      The information provided is not, and should not be considered legal advice. All information provided is only informational and should be verified by a law practioner whenever possible. When confronted with legal issues contact an experienced attorney in your state who specializes in the area of law most directly called into question by your particular situation.

Comment

Well, I took my sledge hammer and flattened some more dinosaurs. There is lots of oil, we just need the technology to go get it. I really believe that one day, when we actually try to find out, that we will discover that this is a renewable resource. No, it may not renew at the rate at which we use it. We may even have to drill deeper.

This being said, it is a polluting resource and even though the earth can renew itself we cannot devastate the planet at the current rate, especially these third world countries that are just entering the 20th century (not the 21st).

Gas is dropping down here, we've always been 20 to 30 cents higher than the rest of the Country. $1.20 = 89.9 in Georgia, sort of the "exchange rate" if you will. I paid 2.39 for regular in Hialeah today. Unfortunately my GMC is still in the shop and State Farm provided me the All New Chevrolet "Craparado" (Colorado), a horrible 5 cylinder, high revving, underpowered abortion that uses WAAAAAAAAAY more gas than my eight cylinder, well powered Sierra. No wonder GM is in trouble!

Sams Club here in Sunrise gave up on putting in gas pumps, the anti business City of Sunrise Building and Harrassing Department of Extremely Idiotic and Useless Bureaucrats (Webster's defines Beareaucrat as a "useless societal appendage", use in sentence: "we bagged three bureaucrats today") gave them a tremendous hassle over putting in pumps.
                        Last edited by robivi3; 11-26-2005, 01:02 PM.

Comment

Saw gas for $1.99 today!! YAY

Comment

Paid $1.84. And at the time, they hadn't lowered the signs-they still said $1.86. A guy who was there just before me said the price changed while he was pumping.
                            Most of my information is from personal experience or HOURS and HOURS of online research. When you're searching online, keep in mind there is no guarantee that the info is completely up to date, and your situation is unique from anyone else's. Do your homework, and consult with an attorney so you can make an informed decision.

Comment

We are always 30 to 40 cents over you guys, now its about 60 cents. It has been this way for years here. Ft' Lauderdale - Miami paid 2.45 for regular today.

Comment

Gas here went from $1.99 to $2.19 today. Do you think that it is a coincidence since today is the first and so many checks come out on the first, paricularly those of the lower income classes, Social Security, Disability, Pension, etc.???
                                It really tees me off, because my mother just suffered a minor stroke and I am planning on making a trip to PA to see her over the weekend since her 93rd birthday is Saturday. Gas goes up just in time for my first trip out of state since June...Figures! Art

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X