No announcement yet.

Rising Gas Prices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone ever heard "The Pretender" by Jackson Browne?
    "I'm going to be a happy idiot
    And struggle for the legal tender
    Where the ads take aim and lay their claim
    To the heart and the soul of the spender
    And believe in whatever may lie"

Well, Gary Jacobucci wrote this in regard to rising fuel prices:

After several years of not watching TV, I've decided to throw in the towel and go back to being programmed. Awakening to the fact that we live in a pretend world created by a criminally insane, global mafia takes too much of my time and no one wants to know about it anyway.

I want to be able to watch coliseum sports with my fellow Americans and find some meaning in who won and lost. I want to watch the Olympics this summer and not remember that it was started by the warring Greek Empire to show their superiority over weaker nations.

When another in my community is diagnosed with cancer, I want to feel sadness that they are the hapless victim of such an insidious disease. I want to appreciate the mutilating, poisoning and burning of cancer patients as modern medicine. I want to feel the hope that there are billions of dollars and brilliant minds working on a cure that is surely right around the corner. I want to purge from my mind that the Eskimos, the Hopis and the Navahos have no incidence of cancer when eating their indigenous diets, as do many other cultures around the world, yet are equally or more susceptible to cancer when eating a traditional American diet and submitting to the modern vaccination program. I want to feel with my fellow citizens that there is nothing I can do about it anyway, and if the big C takes me, that's just the way it is.

I want to believe that our monetary system is too complicated to understand and that there are people far smarter than I looking out for our best interest. I want to believe that recessions and depressions are just inevitable business cycles and ignore that the Federal Reserve is a multi-national privately owned corporation. I want to forget Barry Goldwater's statement; "Most Americans have no real understanding of the operation of the international money lenders. The accounts of the Federal Reserve System have never been audited. It operates outside the control of Congress and manipulates the credit of the United States"

I want to believe that America was attacked on 9/11 by Islamists and that Israel is our friend. I want to forget the PNAC documents saying that "a global war on terrorism would be a tough sell to the American public without a catalyzing and catastrophic event, like a new Pearl Harbor."

I want to believe with my fellow citizens that the Middle East is a hotbed of terrorism and that they want nuclear technology only to develop weapons of mass destruction and ignore that the countries identified as being the Axis of Evil are the countries that have resisted being under the thumb of the IMF and World Bank. I want to be able to relate to the thought of "bombing them back to the Stone Age" without being bothered by the thought that these bombs are falling on mothers and children.

I want to embrace the self-loathing of the human race; that there are too many people; that we are running out of oil, food and water; that the carbon footprint of man is causing global warming - and ignore the think tank documents calling for these ideas as strategies for controlling the global population thirty years ago.

I want to ignore that the media darling being presented to us for president has the names of Hussein and Obama, when the New World Order poster boys for the war on terrorism were Hussein and Osama.

I've want to just be an everyman and embrace the lyrics of Jackson Browne; "I'm going to be a happy idiot and struggle for the legal tender."

The only problem I'm having is how to put the genie back in the bottle.
    Peak oil is a myth, and peak oil is a scam upon the world. But of course, I didn't grow up in a third world country. I didn't research any of this about peak oil. I should just stop posting because I am a tin foil wearing lady.

According to Webster's dictionary, to conspire only means "to act in harmony toward a common end."

When are we going to wake up and consider other viewpoints without engaging in dismissal and/or committing argumentum ad hominem fallacies?

Comment

My English friend Katherine who lives in Spain sent me this today when I asked about rising fuel prices and what is going on in Spain:

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by BankruptPinoy View Post
          Has anyone ever heard "The Pretender" by Jackson Browne?
          "I'm going to be a happy idiot
          And struggle for the legal tender
          Where the ads take aim and lay their claim
          To the heart and the soul of the spender
          And believe in whatever may lie"
          Yeah, I'm a BIG Jackson Browne fan. Seen him many times and have all his albums.
          Good article you posted, too.
          I wish it weren't true...
          <<I am NOT an attorney, my comments are anecdotal only. Contact an attorney for advice>>
          FINALLY DISCHARGED 92 DAYS AFTER THE 341! A NEW START!!!

Comment

World has enough oil reserves, says BP boss
            Jun 11, 2008

The world is not running out of oil and can continue to produce hydrocarbons for the next 40 years provided restrictions are lifted on where companies can operate, the head of BP said today.

The Arctic and currently closed areas off the coast of America should be considered for exploration if rising global energy demand is to be met in future, said chief executive Tony Hayward.

He insisted that all other forms of energy, whether clean-tech or otherwise, also need to be developed simultaneously while rising carbon emissions could still be curbed.

"Declining oil production in the OECD highlights the fact that, while resources are not a constraint globally, the resources within reach of private investment by companies like BP are limited," said Hayward.

"Political factors, barriers to entry, and high taxes all play a role here. In other words when it comes to producing more oil, the problems are above ground, not below it. They are not geological, but political," he added.

Some of the difficulties of access were in nations such as Venezuela, Russia and the Middle East which have adopted clear policies of resource nationalism where the state has grabbed assets previously in the hands of independent oil companies, but Hayward also noted the 92% of the US is off-limits and the Arctic needed opening up.

The BP boss was talking at the launch of his company's annual statistical review of world energy which showed that world oil consumption grew by 1.1% in 2007, or 1m barrels a day, slightly below the 10-year average, while production fell by 0.2%, or 130,000 barrels a day, the first decline in five years.

An increasing number of oil industry commentators have put forward the view that "peak oil" has now been reached - or shortly will be - and is responsible for a 40% rise in crude prices this year to record highs of nearly $140 a barrel. BP, though, said today that proved oil reserves at 1.24tn barrels are enough to meet current production for 41 years.

Hayward also batted aside Opec arguments that the extremely high price of oil could be attributed to financial speculators playing the commodity markets and the slump in the dollar's relative value to other currencies.

"The defining feature of global energy markets remains high and volatile prices, reflecting a tight balance of supply and demand," he said, adding that "I am certainly not a subscriber to peak oil (theories)."

Source: guardian.co.uk
            Last edited by BankruptPinoy; 06-16-2008, 07:54 AM.

Comment

If you take public transportation in your city/town, don't forget to keep up with the changes!

I went to my bus stop today in downtown SRQ and because they've switched to trolleys now for my route onto Longboat Key, they switched the times as well....so I missed the bus/trolley.

Luckily, I live down the street from my bus stop so I was not late for work....but, had to put gas in along the way as I was under 1/4 tank...pain at the pump....I just figured, the heck with it & put $30 in my tank.

I do not think I have filled up since a month ago. I don't want to experience that $65 tank fill up. I haven't encountered that situation yet where you go over the price limit on a card for your fill up; i'd probably lose it...has anyone?
              Filed Oct 2005discharged February 2007,Shapeless in the fire's glow, tell me if you think you know,
              Who it was we were below, where we've been and where we go

Comment

Originally posted by AMISLANDER View Post
                If you take public transportation in your city/town, don't forget to keep up with the changes!

I went to my bus stop today in downtown SRQ and because they've switched to trolleys now for my route onto Longboat Key, they switched the times as well....so I missed the bus/trolley.

Luckily, I live down the street from my bus stop so I was not late for work....but, had to put gas in along the way as I was under 1/4 tank...pain at the pump....I just figured, the heck with it & put $30 in my tank.

I do not think I have filled up since a month ago. I don't want to experience that $65 tank fill up. I haven't encountered that situation yet where you go over the price limit on a card for your fill up; i'd probably lose it...has anyone?
                This filling up once a month is going to be nice for awhile.

I have been taking the bus for the last month & have not had to fill up once. It has been awesome knowing there is an alternative to that weekly fill up price. I watch these people fight in traffic in their cars & wonder how in the world I was able to do that for so long. I drove my truck this morning to pick up some fireworks & was ready to explode (me, not the fireworks) from all the anger & road rage in the traffic. I actually feel safer on a bus when in heavy traffic like that.

This is of course excluding my down time as I was out of work AGAIN from another surgery & not being able to tolerate the pain & work at the same time.

I can catch a bus one block from my house then transfer in 6 blocks to the one I need but usually just walk to the bus I really need, & the excerise feels nice. ..and I found two different routes to get me to the same place.

Can you imagine those people still commuting for two hours to work one way? HA! There aint no job worth that, unless you are a bus driver or limo driver or getting paid to be in it

I was also reading where some inner city employers are offering shuttles for their employees & making it mandatory if they want to work there because they dont want to offer or pay for parking spaces & it is supposed to help relieve the gas prices for them.

Comment

Today I noticed that regular went DOWN by an average of 5 cents at most stations on my way home. All except for Shell. I don't know what it is with Shell, but they seem to be the most expensive in my area and I never see more than one or two cars there.

I had 1/2 tank and stopped to fill up at the BP at $4.05/gallon. The discount UGas and Liberty Gas down US 1 had the same price as BP.

I wonder why it went down?
                  BK 7 filed and discharged in 2004 after 30+ years of perfect credit. Life HAPPENS.

Comment

I was going through town today and noted that the two cash only stores were $4.05 for regular, and the Citgo across the street was still at $4.09. I did my errands and on going back through town, noticed a Chevron that had a sign of $3.98 for unleaded. I turned around, and put $10.00 in the tank. The price was the same as what was on the pump. I got around two and a half gallons, same as I did last week when the price was $3.96 at the 'cash onlies'.
                    "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Congratulations,

Were just a few pennies under $5.00
                      Filed Chap 7 : 9/11/2007
                      341 Meeting : 10/10/2007
                      Deadline for objections: 12/10/2007 Discharged 12/11/07 Closed 12/14/07

Comment

Ouch! And I was complaining about the $3.97 I paid yesterday. $52.22 to fill up and I had about 1/8 of a tank left. Most of the other places in town were around $3.85 but this is the only place in town that has ethanol-free gas. Since I started going there my fill ups are lasting longer. This should last me at least 10 days. Hubby is also down to about $60 a week for gas from about $100. Amazing how much money you can save when 10% of your gas isn't dissapearing from your tank when your car is sitting in the driveway. And both cars are running a lot smother.

TS

Comment

I made my bus/trolley this morning @ 7:30 a.m.

It was PACKED! I think there was just one seat left.
                          Filed Oct 2005discharged February 2007,Shapeless in the fire's glow, tell me if you think you know,
                          Who it was we were below, where we've been and where we go

Comment

Today, as I drove through town, I observed that prices for unleaded gas in our area had dropped anywhere from 1 or 2 cents to 10 cents at one place. Of the two 'cash onlys', one was $3.98, the other still at $4.05. The Citgo across the road was still at $4.09. But other places near where I work, range anywhere from $3.94 to $4.04. Diesel is still averaging around $4.71.

Comment

I posted this 'gas price finder' back on page 39. I thought I would post it here again for convenience. Just type in your zip code to find the gas price ranges in your area. It is supposed to be updated every 24 hours. But not everyone reports in on a timely basis. And I find that the two 'cash only' stores that I've mentioned, aren't listed at all.

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCat View Post
                                I posted this 'gas price finder' back on page 39. I thought I would post it here again for convenience. Just type in your zip code to find the gas price ranges in your area. It is supposed to be updated every 24 hours. But not everyone reports in on a timely basis. And I find that the two 'cash only' stores that I've mentioned, aren't listed at all.

http://autos.msn.com/everyday/gassta...?zip=&src=Netx
                                www.gasbuddy.com is a good source. But keep in mind that the prices may not be 100% correct since they are updated by consumers.
                                The information provided is not, and should not be considered legal advice. All information provided is only informational and should be verified by a law practioner whenever possible. When confronted with legal issues contact an experienced attorney in your state who specializes in the area of law most directly called into question by your particular situation.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X