Interesting Job Prospect Info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting Job Prospect Info

I just read that many railroads are in hiring mode for 2011. Some are set to hire as many as 2000 new employees to work in the rail yards and over the 'road'. This is partly due to rising fuel costs - rail is simply cheaper than trucking.

Railroaders earn decent money and have fabulous benefits. Most start at about 40k and move rapidly up to about 75-100k.

Negatives are that trains run 24/7/365 and work in all types of weather.

Lots of management trainee positions too! Have a look at a job "outside the box" and perhaps in a boxcar LOL!

No, I am not a paid recruiter - but most folks never think of the railroad for job prospects. Hubby's railroad career (after retiring from the military) has been worthwhile. Thought it was worth a mention for any jobseekers out there.
    ~~ Filed Over Median Income Chapter 7: 12/17/2010 ~~ 341 Held: 1/12/2011 ~~ Discharged: 03/16/2011 ~~
    Not an attorney - just an opinionated woman.

One problem here is that a lot of our existing rails were pulled up in the 1980s and '90s, or have been allowed to fall into very bad disrepair. Much of the rail infrastructure into the rural areas no longer exist and that is where that type of transportation is needed.

As a train enthusiast, I would love to see trains make a comeback.
    "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

oh!! so would i. though Europe that's all they do! trains and the underground...sure saves on gas as well. it would help the entire country if we had more railways.

i also have a cousin that was a VP at for a railway on the west coast and i know the workers were high paid union employees ...everyone LOVED their jobs. it would be great.

just listening to the news before we leave this morning for our busy day, but they are announcing on the news here once again mc donalds is hiring starting at 8.50 and managers up to 50k....and they are hiring thousands of people!!

that should help the unemployment hopefully.
      8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCat View Post
        One problem here is that a lot of our existing rails were pulled up in the 1980s and '90s, or have been allowed to fall into very bad disrepair. Much of the rail infrastructure into the rural areas no longer exist and that is where that type of transportation is needed.

As a train enthusiast, I would love to see trains make a comeback.
        Hubby has long been a train enthusiast. His childhood dream was to be an engineer. After bobbing along the bottom of the beautiful, briny sea for 25 years, he now in his 'second career' gets to live his dream. Pretty cool.

Unfortunately, the infrastructure of the rail system has not been a priority in any budgets - and it definitely shows. There are a few small local/short line railroads who have made good in some of the rural or smaller commercial areas but they are the exception rather than the rule. Even the areas where the tracks have been maintained are fast approaching maximum capacity - thus slowing trains down a bit and putting train crews over their allotted DOT hours of service. This is another reason for the need for more employees.
        ~~ Filed Over Median Income Chapter 7: 12/17/2010 ~~ 341 Held: 1/12/2011 ~~ Discharged: 03/16/2011 ~~

Comment

ValleyYum, my hubby is also a retired military man. With his navy training in electronics, looks like he would be a good fit for management training with CSX, unfortunately he is turning 55! He has managed small shops, large shops, been an instructor, and been a company commander during his shore duty phases. He currently works in home theater and home automation. We are moving to Charlotte NC in a few months, he would love to get into something new, but we are just assuming he is too old for anything (per employers mindsets) and should stick with what he is doing now. He would also love to work for Homeland Security or the government, but we just think he will be rejected because of age.

Comment

I feel for you StrawberrySu. I'm in the same situation. I am 58, and have been passed over for two good FT positions, within my field, in favor of 30 year-olds.
            "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Su? Hubby was over 45 when he was hired on. They LOVE military folks.

And AC? Check out the positions other than train service - CSX had PAGES of those opportunities.

Never say never, ladies.

Comment

I completely agree and a strong votary for a strong and efficient railways system as it is in Japan and Europe. Even China is catching up fast.
                URL Removed by Admin

Comment

VY - cool post and good info - thanks!
                  Filed Ch 7 Pro Se 11-18-2010 341 Meeting 12-16-2010 Discharged 2-15-2011
                  New Job 7-2011

Comment

I've been working on the railroad, all the live-long day ...
                    There are two secrets for success in life:
                    1.) Never tell everything you know.

Comment

I just met someone who is a chef on private Pullman cars. Interesting thought, if you like to cook.

Keep On Smilin'

Comment

Thanks for the heads up! I don't think it would be too bad to work on the rail road.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X