The Hunger Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AngelinaCatHub View Post
    I witness this daily in life. 51 bucks for 12 gallons of diesel to get home from working for ten bucks an hour for my brother.

'Hub
    This is a disaster for this economy.

Fortunately, I found a part-time job where I can take the bus to and from work. It is saving me a huge amount of money. I now only drive my truck when it is absolutely necessary.
    The world's simplest C & D Letter:
    "I demand that you cease and desist from any communication with me."
    Notice that I never actually mention or acknowledge the debt in my letter.

Comment

Originally posted by ValleYum View Post
      The movie opens today! Yay!

Hubby & I are going to the 12:20 showing. Popcorn for lunch!! I am really looking forward to both - the movie and a date with my hubby!

So what did you (and hubby) think???? I just saw it (had popcorn for dinner LOL).

I can see this happening. It was very "orwellian". As soon as I heard the "troops" identified as "peacekeepers" I knew where it was going.

Most of the folks in the theater thought it was just a movie and have no clue just how possible this is.
      The essence of freedom is the proper limitation of Government

Comment

Originally posted by GoingDown View Post
        This is a disaster for this economy.
        Fortunately, I found a part-time job where I can take the bus to and from work. It is saving me a huge amount of money. I now only drive my truck when it is absolutely necessary.
        I know

This is the inflation that the "doomers" like myself have been telling the few that would listen what would happen with all the money printing that Bernanke is doing for Obama, Bush in the past and probably Romney once he gets in to drive the last nail in the coffin called the free world.

Notice that hunger games has 12 districts. The fed also has 12 districts!!!! Hopefully the silent majority will read between the lines for crying out loud.
        Last edited by banca rotta; 03-24-2012, 07:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Flamingo View Post
          An old favorite that runs along similar lines is "Soylent Green." Go rent or buy it...Will make you think....

Another classic! Sometimes I wonder if Edward G. Robinson had the right idea once he discovered the truth.

Comment

Originally posted by banca rotta View Post
            I know

This is the inflation that the "doomers" like myself have been telling the few that would listen what would happen with all the money printing that Bernanke is doing for Obama, Bush in the past and probably Romney once he gets in to drive the last nail in the coffin called the free world.

Notice that hunger games has 12 districts. The fed also has 12 districts!!!! Hopefully the silent majority will read between the lines for crying out loud.
            SPOILER ALERT......

There are actually 13
            More like the colonies I guess.

Keep On Smilin'

Comment

Originally posted by keepsmiling View Post
              SPOILER ALERT......

There are actually 13
              More like the colonies I guess.
              No I counted 12... Unless the book says otherwise. There were 12 in the movie.

Comment

Well, I did mention it was a spoiler, but trust me...13.
                Ok, 14 if you want to to count the Capital.
                Only 12 send tributes.
                VY will back me up on this.

Keep On Smilin'

Comment

So what did you (and hubby) think???? I just saw it (had popcorn for dinner LOL).

I can see this happening. It was very "orwellian". As soon as I heard the "troops" identified as "peacekeepers" I knew where it was going.

Most of the folks in the theater thought it was just a movie and have no clue just how possible this is.
                  We both REALLY enjoyed it! I have read the trilogy several times - and reread the first book in the days before the movie released. I had finally talked hubs into reading the books (and he had finished the first one) - so we were both intent on how they did in translating it from page to screen.

They did a super great job by taking us behind the scenes in the movie (for example: the games center) to take the place of all the things she was thinking to herself in the book.

All in all, they did a good job. Catching Fire (Book 2) in theaters Thanksgiving 2013!!

I agree, there were shades of '1984' in there... and other post-apocalyptic books as well.

Cinematically, I also saw shades of Roller Ball, Running Man, and Death Race 2000. Many people (particular folks overseas) say it is the US version of the movie Battle Royale - that may take a bottle of wine to watch since it is all subtitled. I want to see Soylent Green, Flamingo!

The DNA fingerstick in THG before the reaping is scarily possible. The famine, storms, economic disaster.... these all started the problems which led to 'The Treaty of the Treason' in THG. A world such as this even being a remote possibility makes my heart hurt for our future.

One of our new retirement goals is to assist our children in making themselves as self-sufficient as possible - for the future of our family.

GO SEE THIS MOVIE!! It is entertaining AND thought-provoking!

Originally posted by keepsmiling View Post
                  Well, I did mention it was a spoiler, but trust me...13.
                  Ok, 14 if you want to to count the Capital.
                  Only 12 send tributes.
                  VY will back me up on this.
                  She is correct. You may need to read further into the trilogy.
                  Last edited by ValleYum; 03-24-2012, 11:07 PM.
                  ~~ Filed Over Median Income Chapter 7: 12/17/2010 ~~ 341 Held: 1/12/2011 ~~ Discharged: 03/16/2011 ~~
                  Not an attorney - just an opinionated woman.

Comment

There were 13. There was a rebellion years ago, and District 13, which led the rebellion, was destroyed. The Hunger Games and the 2 tributes each district must send to the games, is in part retribution, punishment and a reminder to the remaining 12 to stay in their places.

This is from the book. I haven't seen the movie yet, and our local movie theater is closed and out of business.

ETA: Actually the 12 and 13 Districts, makes me think of 'Battlestar Galactica' with the remnants of the 12 Tribes or Colonies, looking for the 13th Tribe--Earth.
                    Last edited by AngelinaCat; 03-25-2012, 06:21 AM.
                    "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

So 13 it is.

I made the comparison with all things apocalyptic to the Fed because a very good book, The Creature from Jekyll Island explained the beginning of the Fed, the history of the Fed where it's policies create boom/bust economic situations and when the bust comes (such as now) we all get scared and duped into asking the govt and the fed for more help causing a bigger problem down the road.

The author predicted the 2008 financial crisis back in 1994 when he first wrote the book. He then stated the govt's and fed's solution of massive money printing in response to the crisis will lead to a hyper inflation and the govt's and fed's solution to the hyper inflation will lead to a one world govt, single currency with UN "peacekeepers" keeping us safe.

Eventually all the nations will be dissolved and the world will be broken down into regions.

I was reminded of this book while watching Hunger Games.

Whether this happens I do not know. I do know the more freedoms you and I surrender to the govt in exchange for "free stuff" the greater chance the future will resemble that nightmare.

Last edited by banca rotta; 03-25-2012, 07:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GoingDown View Post
                        Urban foraging is very interesting. My neighborhood has a casual cooperative agreement going which is providing many of us with fresh eggs, fresh goat's milk, goat's milk cheese, pecans, okra, squash, etc. It's a start.
                        I'm all for it.

That being said, at some point the government will step in to regulate and that will be the end of this noteworthy enterprise.

Good luck to us all.
                        No person in their right mind files a Ch. 13 with lien strip pro se. I have.Therefore, please consider me insane and clinically certifiable when reading my posts, and DO NOT take them as legal advice of any kind.Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by shark66 View Post
                          I'm all for it.

That being said, at some point the government will step in to regulate and that will be the end of this noteworthy enterprise.

Good luck to us all.
                          Our God-daughter has formed a partniship with a man that deals in fresh produce. So whatever they don't sell, rather than throwing it away, she brings it home to us and we have been busy canning. So far string beans, tomatoes, and squash.
                          "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Reminder-- it's dandelion time.
                            I made fritters with the flowers last year and the greens are best early in the spring... yummy stir fried with a little tehina.
                            Extremely healthy.

Keep On Smilin'

Comment

I had to Google tehina. Sounds good! Does this recipe sound right?

Tehina is as common in the middle-east as catsup is in the United States. It's a dip, a garnish, a sauce, or in combination with hummous, it's a first course. This is Sarah Choueka's recipe, enjoyed countless times at the Choueka Friday night or Saturday noon table. Each family has its own preference for the consistency and the amount of salt and other seasonings, but the recipe below should give you a reasonable base.

Ingredients:

4 ounces ground sesame paste
                              5 cloves garlic, crushed
                              juice from 1-2 lemons
                              1 tsp. cumin
                              1/2 tsp. salt, or to taste
                              sufficient water to mix to thin consistency

Before measuring the sesame paste, stir the separated oil back into the solids. Mix all ingredients well, and thin with water. Tehina should be made just before eating. As mentioned above it is omnipresent in the middle-eastern diet, but I serve it with salads, breads, bourekas, or lahma bi ajeen.
                              ~~ Filed Over Median Income Chapter 7: 12/17/2010 ~~ 341 Held: 1/12/2011 ~~ Discharged: 03/16/2011 ~~
                              Not an attorney - just an opinionated woman.

Comment

Sounds good to me!

Or you can just buy it at the supermarket. Often spelled "tahini" but my Mediterranean friends laugh at me when I say it that way. Usually the health food stores and Greek stores have it too. Joyva and Krinos both make it.

Dandelions can be very bitter but certain ingredients will help with that, including tomatoes, cheese, balsamic vinegar.

Keep On Smilin'

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X