Fake ATMs and/or Skimmers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fake ATMs and/or Skimmers

This is a warning for everyone using ATMs either here in the US, but especially abroad.

This year, 'Hub's DD and SIL treated us to a 5 day cruise in the Western Caribbean. Cozumel was one of the stops. While there, 'Hub attempted to use an ATM. He questioned the $7.00 ATM fee, but allowed it go through. But when a Mexico tax for $18.00 came up for approval, 'Hub cancelled and stopped the transaction.

It turns out that this was either a fake ATM machine, or a legitimate one that had a 'skimmer' attached.

We returned home on January 21.

Today, January 31, we got a telephone call from the 'watchdog' for our account, telling us that there was a problem that we needed to be aware of. Someone had charged something to our account in Monterrey, Mexico on Sunday January 27, that 'cleared' and there were at least five more pulls TODAY, January 31, that are 'pending'.

Our account has been cleaned out. The 'watchdog' wanted to know if we really had authorized these transactions.

No, we did not. Nor were we ever in Monterrey, Mexico.

So, we were referred to the Fraud Department. It turns our that our account is covered 100% for fraud, and we will eventually be 'made whole' again. But we have spent most of today dealing with this matter.

So, be very careful when going to any ATM machine--especially when abroad. 'Hub thinks the machine was a fake. I think it had a 'skimmer' attached.

No matter, this is a cautionary tale for all. Our situation is being handled; just don't allow yourselves to be likewise victimized.

Good Night, Everyone.
    "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

This is good advice. As convenient as it may be, I never every pay for gas or at a restaruant with my card. It is just too risky anymore. Thieves are getting very clever in using technolgy to steal.

Comment

wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!! shoot we always use them everywhere. goes to show you. from now on other than a "real" store outside the county cash is what we will use!

i your vacay was good!
      8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

I'm with KJRmom. The most common ways your debit card is compromised is at ATM's, pay-at-the-pump, restaurants, and online purchases. We still use our card for online purchases b/c I don't know of any other way to pay. However, we never use ATM's and we buy gift cards to pay for gas at the pump rather than using our debit card. We pay cash when we eat out. Thanks for the heads up, AC. I hope it all gets straightened out for you sooner rather than later.
        Filed Ch 13 Feb 9, 2012, 341 meeting Mar 15, 2012, Confirmed Apr 5, 2012
        Anticipated freedom party Apr 2015

Comment

Well, to date I see no change in my account. $1700 now gone in Mexico. There is not a real problem here, but in Mexico, I suspect that that machine was a counterfeit, and not even hooked to a comm line. Being a so-called computer geek, I'm still kicking my butt for stupidity. Best way to use your card is to change the password regularly as well as monitoring your account online. NEVER use the Debit side of a Debit/credit card. The rules are completely different on a debit transaction. And don't use either in Mexico. LOL. 'Hub
          If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCat View Post
            This is a warning for everyone using ATMs either here in the US, but especially abroad.

This year, 'Hub's DD and SIL treated us to a 5 day cruise in the Western Caribbean. Cozumel was one of the stops. While there, 'Hub attempted to use an ATM. He questioned the $7.00 ATM fee, but allowed it go through. But when a Mexico tax for $18.00 came up for approval, 'Hub cancelled and stopped the transaction.

It turns out that this was either a fake ATM machine, or a legitimate one that had a 'skimmer' attached.

We returned home on January 21.

Today, January 31, we got a telephone call from the 'watchdog' for our account, telling us that there was a problem that we needed to be aware of. Someone had charged something to our account in Monterrey, Mexico on Sunday January 27, that 'cleared' and there were at least five more pulls TODAY, January 31, that are 'pending'.

Our account has been cleaned out. The 'watchdog' wanted to know if we really had authorized these transactions.

No, we did not. Nor were we ever in Monterrey, Mexico.

So, we were referred to the Fraud Department. It turns our that our account is covered 100% for fraud, and we will eventually be 'made whole' again. But we have spent most of today dealing with this matter.

So, be very careful when going to any ATM machine--especially when abroad. 'Hub thinks the machine was a fake. I think it had a 'skimmer' attached.

No matter, this is a cautionary tale for all. Our situation is being handled; just don't allow yourselves to be likewise victimized.

Good Night, Everyone.
            Thank you for bringing this issue to our attention. This can and does happen in the US as well, be aware of anything that looks suspicious on ATM machines, even on gas fill stations.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBajan View Post
              I'm with KJRmom. The most common ways your debit card is compromised is at ATM's, pay-at-the-pump, restaurants, and online purchases. We still use our card for online purchases b/c I don't know of any other way to pay. However, we never use ATM's and we buy gift cards to pay for gas at the pump rather than using our debit card. We pay cash when we eat out. Thanks for the heads up, AC. I hope it all gets straightened out for you sooner rather than later.
              Gift cards work great for online purchases. Whenever I go to the grocery store these days, I notice tons of gift cards available. I buy them with cash, then use them online. Worst case scenario, a thief might get the last tiny balance left on the gift card.

I don't use ATMs, and I pay for gas with cash, and I use cash at restaurants.
              The world's simplest C & D Letter:
              "I demand that you cease and desist from any communication with me."
              Notice that I never actually mention or acknowledge the debt in my letter.

Comment

Originally posted by EandGWZ View Post
                Thank you for bringing this issue to our attention. This can and does happen in the US as well, be aware of anything that looks suspicious on ATM machines, even on gas fill stations.

So that's what they look like!
                The world's simplest C & D Letter:
                "I demand that you cease and desist from any communication with me."
                Notice that I never actually mention or acknowledge the debt in my letter.

Comment

Originally posted by GoingDown View Post
                  Gift cards work great for online purchases. Whenever I go to the grocery store these days, I notice tons of gift cards available. I buy them with cash, then use them online. Worst case scenario, a thief might get the last tiny balance left on the gift card.

I don't use ATMs, and I pay for gas with cash, and I use cash at restaurants.
                  Thanks for the tip... I've only ever used a universal gift card one time and it was because it was given to me as a Christmas present. Unfortunately, it wouldn't work and we ended up throwing it away. It kept getting declined where ever we tried to use it. That's part of the reason I haven't tried using them again. The one we get for gas is from the gas station and it is only good at the gas station. We like the convenience of paying at the pump but we are aware of the risk using our debit so every week we go in and put money on the gift card and then use that at the pump. The one's you use for online purchases, I'm assuming you are talking about the re-loadable Visa cards right?? I would love more info about this.
                  Filed Ch 13 Feb 9, 2012, 341 meeting Mar 15, 2012, Confirmed Apr 5, 2012
                  Anticipated freedom party Apr 2015

Comment

Originally posted by GoingDown View Post
                    So that's what they look like!
                    Actually, probably not. I listen to Consumer Advocate, Clark Howard, on a regular basis. He says to be suspicious of any time a 'routine looking' ATM--even if you have used it before--has a card reader that 'juts abnormally out',--as in the picture--or 'wriggles' when you put the card into it. Chances are that a 'skimmer' is attached. Get your card out of it before doing anything, and go elsewhere.

I cannot say what our particular ATM machine looked like. When 'Hub decided to try to use one, he and DD went to one around the block, while SIL and I stayed in the store, 'window-shopping'.

For the record, SIL was STRONGLY against this idea in the first place...
                    "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCat View Post
                      Actually, probably not. I listen to Consumer Advocate, Clark Howard, on a regular basis. He says to be suspicious of any time a 'routine looking' ATM--even if you have used it before--has a card reader that 'juts abnormally out',--as in the picture--or 'wriggles' when you put the card into it. Chances are that a 'skimmer' is attached. Get your card out of it before doing anything, and go elsewhere.

I cannot say what our particular ATM machine looked like. When 'Hub decided to try to use one, he and DD went to one around the block, while SIL and I stayed in the store, 'window-shopping'.

For the record, SIL was STRONGLY against this idea in the first place...
                      They come in all shapes and sizes, most reputable merchants have security features on there machines that will alert consumers if a machine has been tapered with. Here are a couple of the ATM versions

Biggest thing is to minimize the amount of time your credit card it out of your sight, skimming can happen when your give your card to a waiter or waitress.

Last edited by EandGWZ; 02-02-2013, 09:48 PM.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X