Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

American Express settlement???

Hi all,

I received a check in the mail today from American Express for a bit over $8 due to some class action litigation. I'm dumbstruck by this because I have never had an American Express card. Should I be concerned about this? I'm half afraid it means someone has a card in my name that I'm unaware of but I really don't know what to think.

Has this happened to anyone else? How can I find out more information about this?
    Filed Ch 13 Feb 9, 2012, 341 meeting Mar 15, 2012, Confirmed Apr 5, 2012
    Anticipated freedom party Apr 2015

Here's info on an American Express lawsuit that involved visa, master card and diners club cards: http://www.ccfsettlement.com/faqs/amex/#idQ10 But, you apparently have to have filed a claim to get a check.

If you are still worried somebody got a card in your name, you could call American Express and ask them.
    LadyInTheRed is in the black!
    Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
    $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

How bizarre.
      These class action things... frankly I wish they'd take the sum totals and donate them to one good charity. Waste of money to mail a buck here and a buck there.

Keep On Smilin'

Comment

Keep the $8.23 and don't worry about it. Got my piddly check two weeks ago and my folks got theirs last week. I don't have an AmEx card but my participation stemmed from using a visa card for a Canadian on-line purchase. Same for my folks.

Des.

Comment

Thanks guys. Thanks Lady for the link. I don't remember signing up for any class action suits but it is re-assuring to know that I didn't actually have to have had an AmEx card for this to happen. I agree with KS... just donate the money to some charity. It doesn't make sense to me. I'll stop worrying about it now. Thanks Des...
          Filed Ch 13 Feb 9, 2012, 341 meeting Mar 15, 2012, Confirmed Apr 5, 2012
          Anticipated freedom party Apr 2015

Comment

Sometimes you have to sign OUT of some of these claims. We have had several of these come in. Most are irrelevant and we just shred and burn them.

Others we have had to sign that we have no part of, and send it back. A couple that we thought we might have some standing in wanted so much information that we were able to document, that we just shred the entire document and burned it. No more was heard from that.

One just came in a few days ago regarding the old telephone number we used to have. This is the one we filed with and was covered by Southern Bell. AT&T overtook Southern Bell while we were in BK, and a balance of $536.00 in long distance charges--which Southern Bell did not charge for.

We discharged that debt in BK. Each and every time that a JDB has reared their ugly heads, we responded with a C&D letter along with a copy of the Discharge Order.

So now, I am in possession of a document regarding a Class-Action suit against AT&T--what 'Hub calls AttackAndTerminate. I will be pursuing that claim.
            "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Originally posted by keepsmiling View Post
              How bizarre.
              These class action things... frankly I wish they'd take the sum totals and donate them to one good charity. Waste of money to mail a buck here and a buck there.
              Well, not all settlements are like that. For the month of April and May I was working a temp job for a company that handled the distribution of funds for some class action lawsuits. One was Amex, another big one was AT&T. The one I worked on, though, was a settlement for a particular group of people in the United States. For these people that were part of the settlement the minimum that they were receiving is $853. Most people are set to receive a total amount of $1900. The most that I saw one person receiving was $65,000 for herself, and another $65,000 for being the heir to her deceased sister's estate. Of course, it is all chump change to how this group of people were burned, but since the majority are low income the money has been handy for many.
              Last edited by iswmle; 06-16-2013, 08:50 PM.
              Filed No Asset Chp 7 BK: January 2010
              Discharged: August 2010
              A life lesson well learned.

Comment

I got my check today 8.23 from AMEX fee litigation settlement. I never filled out anything. I never had American express. It apparently is for some atm fee charged thru the banks. I guess I will cash it and have a couple beers.
                chpt 7 ,5-2009

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X