Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Warning, warning, warning....

Hi Everyone:

This message came to me in my email at the College at which I work, warning of a new and very insidious type of malware. I am passing this along to everyone to be careful about any kind of email attachments, or downloads, that you are not aware of their point of origin.

Extend this caution to any type of link or download request that you may see on this or any other forum or blog or social media that you may frequent.

Being forewarned, is being prepared and safe!

To All Faculty and Staff:

There is a new and very damaging malware threat out now. It is spreading very rapidly and has taken down several businesses and caused a lot of damage.

It’s called CryptoLocker and it is a really nasty form of Ransomware. Ransomware is a type of malware that tries to get you to buy the antidote for whatever it infects you with. Then it typically steals your credit card information, and still doesn’t give you the cure.

The CryptoLocker ransomware encrypts all your files so you can’t open any of them. For ransom, it wants several hundred dollars in bitcoins or moneypak payments. But many people who have paid never got the key to unlock their files. The FBI recommends you file a complaint with them and do not pay the ransom.

So far, none of the big antivirus companies have developed a fix for it. It is particularly damaging to businesses because it infects the shared drives on networks and encrypts all of those files too.

The primary method of infection is via phishing emails and email attachments – especially things like FedEx and UPS tracking emails, banking payroll emails, and office document attachments. All the things that companies use constantly. Do not open any email attachment you are not expecting or click on any tracking links.

If you are on a college computer and you get this malware (it pops up a bright red screen letting you know you’re infected – see the picture below), Unplug your computer immediately. Disconnect the power cord and the network cable and call the IT Department. We will need to take immediate steps to safeguard the files in your department Z drive to keep them from being infected and encrypted.

We recommend that that you back up your own home computer files on a flash drive or cd/dvd, because if you get this, your files are gone forever and they are not recoverable if you haven’t backed them up. Back up your pictures and documents and anything else you don’t want to lose.

You should also keep your backup media disconnected from your computer when you aren’t backing up files, otherwise, it will encrypt your backup files too.

You need to be very vigilant about what websites you hit and don’t open email attachments. Make sure your windows OS and office programs are up to date on the security patches.

We will keep you updated on any new patches or fixes for this malware.

Krebsonsecurity.com is a security blog that explains quite a bit about it if you want to learn more.

Be very wary of downloading any programs that claim to fix or prevent CryptoLocker unless they come from major companies like Symantec, Sophos, TrendMicro, etc. If you find one you are unsure about, call the IT Helpdesk and a tech will check it out for you. FoolishIT has released a free CryptoPrevent program for home users but we don’t know yet how safe or effective it is.

There is a picture that came with this email, but I have not yet passed ValleYum's School of Pictures Posting for this site....
    "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

it got me. i ran into best buy computers in hand and said and what did you say about your webroot?????

all of the and i mean all the entire geek squad gather round to see this. it looks really real and it was. i downloaded nothing, so it can hook onto email. the keep my computers overnight what a pain the butt. backed the all up and said i was the first they had seen. nice, it just had to be me.
    8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

One of my relatives got it from an email attachment, too, but I was able to use Windows Defender Offline to get rid of it from their computer...

"What is Windows Defender Offline?
      Sometimes, malicious and other potentially unwanted software, including rootkits, try to install themselves on your PC. This can happen when you connect to the Internet or install some programs from a CD, DVD, or other media. Once on your PC, this software might run immediately, or it might run at unexpected times. Windows Defender Offline can help remove such hard to find malicious and potentially unwanted programs using definitions that recognize threats. Definitions are files that provide an encyclopedia of potential software threats. Because new threats appear daily, it's important to always have the most up-to-date definitions installed in Windows Defender Offline. Armed with definition files, Windows Defender Offline can detect malicious and potentially unwanted software, and then notify you of the risks.

To use Windows Defender Offline, you need to follow four basic steps:

Download Windows Defender Offline and create a CD, DVD, or USB flash drive.

Restart your PC using the Windows Defender Offline media.

Scan your PC for malicious and other potentially unwanted software.

Remove any malware that is found from your PC.

Windows Defender Offline will walk you through the details of these four steps when you're using the tool. If you've been prompted in Microsoft Security Essentials or Windows Defender to download and run Windows Defender Offline, it's important that you do so, to make sure that your data and your PC isn't compromised.

To get started, find a blank CD, DVD, or USB flash drive with at least 250 MB of free space and then download and run the tool—the tool will help you create the removable media."

Learn how to use Microsoft Defender Offline to help remove malicious software and other potential threats.
      The world's simplest C & D Letter:
      "I demand that you cease and desist from any communication with me."
      Notice that I never actually mention or acknowledge the debt in my letter.

Comment

oh it was a big fake. webroot was busted!!! they tried and hack into it as it's sUPPOSE to be the ultimate in spyware, virus etc.

one would think people have better things to do.
        8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

Originally posted by tobee43 View Post
          oh it was a big fake. webroot was busted!!! they tried and hack into it as it's sUPPOSE to be the ultimate in spyware, virus etc.

one would think people have better things to do.
          You must not have had the real CryptoLocker. If you did, all of your files, pictures, documents, etc., would be encrypted, and you would be given 72 hours to pay the 'ransom' to get the key to un-lock your files. Also, if your are on a network, or have an automatic backup to an external hard drive that you keep attached to your computer, those files would be scrambled too.

Comment

Here is a link to the latest article on CryptoLocker that is on the Krebsonsecurity blog recommended by my College:

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCat View Post
              You must not have had the real CryptoLocker. If you did, all of your files, pictures, documents, etc., would be encrypted, and you would be given 72 hours to pay the 'ransom' to get the key to un-lock your files. Also, if your are on a network, or have an automatic backup to an external hard drive that you keep attached to your computer, those files would be scrambled too.
              that's exactly what i had!!!! i'm telling the geek squad at best buy were having a blast with it!! look!! look at this!!!! never no this can't happen!! well LOOK at this!

Comment

Then the geek squad is going to learn the HARD way....

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCat View Post
                  Then the geek squad is going to learn the HARD way....
                  they did!! LOL!!

Comment

Yeah, you could pay someone to fix it for you, or you could just do it yourself for free.
                    The world's simplest C & D Letter:
                    "I demand that you cease and desist from any communication with me."
                    Notice that I never actually mention or acknowledge the debt in my letter.

Comment

Originally posted by GoingDown View Post
                      Yeah, you could pay someone to fix it for you, or you could just do it yourself for free.
                      oh i didn't pay for it. since i have (now going on year 18 still have a small but fun internet business) i keep insurance on the puters and ipads anything we use. so it was all free...especially on this computer which just had the hard drive swapped out since it kept over heating under warranty.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X