Off to college, I hope. Any advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Off to college, I hope. Any advice?

So I am heading toward the end of my senior year, and the time for me to begin hunting for the right college is coming quickly. I thought I would come and gather some information and advice as I move forward on my grand adventure of life. I will admit from the very beginning; I am a bit intimidated at the whole idea from the very outset.

As I do for most of the things I wish to learn about, I headed over to the internet to begin hunting for information about colleges and the admissions process. I ultimately found myself on Wikipedia and located a number of pages that were incredibly useful. I was blown away by the differences in the education systems from different parts of the world. I was able to gather a ton of information about college and the overall admissions process.

I am concerned about getting into one of the colleges that are at the top of my list. I can't afford to apply to fifty different schools. The application fees are crazy. It amazes me that we have to pay them as part of the admissions process. It's as though we are paying them to accept more of our money, and that is only if we are lucky enough to get accepted in the first place. However it is what it is, and there isn't much I can do about that. Enough of my rant.

I have found a number of useful websites including a few that provide programs on the admission process. Some of these online programs offer tutorials on the process while other programs actually get their hands dirty and help with the work. I even found a few that had guarantees for acceptance. Some were far fetched, but others seemed reasonable including the ability to guarantee acceptance into at least 1 of my top 3 or 4 choices. I understand that nothing can ever be guaranteed, but do you believe that a company is capable of getting me into one of my top 3 choices?

So I am here to get some advice and opinions from you folks. What can I do on my own to increase my ability to get accepted by a college? What advice do you have for making the entire admissions process easier, smoother, and more effective? I am wanting to get accepted to at least one of four different schools. I would like to get to the point where I have two or three of them accepting me, and I get to choose which school I will attend.
    Advertising link in signature not allowed per forum rules.

Do you realize this is a bankruptcy forum? I suspect you do, and I suspect this is a bogus post since you are also posting with a air of authority and experience in a lot of older threads.

Comment

Originally posted by Pjmax View Post
      Do you realize this is a bankruptcy forum? I suspect you do, and I suspect this is a bogus post since you are also posting with a air of authority and experience in a lot of older threads.
      I kept waiting for the URL and it never came. I'm confused, too.
      Chapter 7, above median, no asset. Discharged with no UST involvement.

Comment

Yes, bill99, as a moderator I'm curious: What inspired you to register on a bankruptcy board and then revive old threads and ask a question about how to get accepted by the colleges of your when you are already almost done with your senior year of high school?
        LadyInTheRed is in the black!
        Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
        $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Yes, I am curious too. You should have been looking at and investigating prospective schools in your JUNIOR year, not wait until the last third of your senior year.
          "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

I agree. What a silly posting. The time for worrying about "choice" in where to go to college has long passed if this person is expecting to start next fall. Also, who cares about having a bunch of different universities accept you, just so you can "choose which school to attend" especially when most of them charge an application fee?

If this posting is real--and I'm not sure it is--then I suggest that OP grow up and mature some more before thinking about college. He would be better served finding a job and working for the next 3 to 5 years, learning necessary life skills, and then going to college. Otherwise, he might end up wasting his time and money, accumulating a lot of non-dischargeable student loan debt, and studying some worthless subject which won't result in a job.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X