what is the total

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what is the total

My wife is not filing BK, just me, but the forms are in joint. And of cause her income is included in the BK. Can I use her state exemptions together with mine.
    In maryland you get 5000., plus 1000 for personal items, and 6000. wild card.
    So together that is 24000. or 12000 for me.
    Filed BK 3-31-08
    341 meeting 5-16-08
    discharge 7-18-08
    Fico 595 pre filing, Fico 587 post filing

Originally posted by almost View Post
    My wife is not filing BK, just me, but the forms are in joint. And of cause her income is included in the BK. Can I use her state exemptions together with mine.
    In maryland you get 5000., plus 1000 for personal items, and 6000. wild card.
    So together that is 24000. or 12000 for me.
    This is a good issue to talk throguh with a bankruptcy attorney. I think you mentioned elsewhere that you're filing by yourself. If I'm wrong, the avatar is similar to someone else's.

If you are filing by yourself, maybe you could get information from some bankruptcy attorneys through some free initial consultations.

My understanding is that you can only double the exemptions if your wife is filing bankruptcy with you.

However, if she is not filing with you, some of the assets you list jointly on your Schedule B may be able to be listed at 50% value, since Maryland is not a community property state, and those assets are jointly owned. That being said, I think I have heard some individual districts handle joint assets as 50/50, and some districts look more in depth than that for a more accurate percentage. If I am remembering right, this means you would have to know how your district operates, which is something a local bankruptcy attorney would know. Also note that if an asset is truly owned by you and you alone, I suggest noting it as such rather than claiming it's joint to get a smaller asset listed.
    Filed: 03/31/08 341: 05/15/08 Discharge: 07/15/08
    Do yourself a favor. Check everything I say with a bankruptcy attorney. Most attorneys will even provide a free initial consultation. In fact, it's your life, so check everything anyone says (including your attorney) for yourself!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X