Georgia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Georgia

In general, a debtor may claim exemption of his homestead and nonexempt personal property from attachment or execution of a judgment, or in a bankruptcy proceeding.

A debtor generally is entitled to exemption from levy and sale by virtue of any legal process any real or personal property, or both, in the amount of $5,000.00. (Section 44-13-1.) If a debtor refuses to apply for exemption under this provision, his spouse, qualified representatives of his minor children or dependents, may make such application and the exemption is binding upon the debtor. (Section 44-13-2.)
    For the purposes of bankruptcy, a debtor may elect, in lieu of the exemption provided under Section 44-13-1, the exemption provided under Section 44-13-100 of the Official Code of Georgia. Some of the property which may be exempt include:
    the personal and real property used by a debtor or his dependents as a residence or a burial plot, in the aggregate value of $10,000.00,
    social security benefits,
    unemployment compensation,
    local public assistance,
    veteran's benefit,
    disability benefit,
    alimony,
    support or separate maintenance to the extent reasonably necessary for the support of the debtor and his dependants,
    pension payments,
    undistributed interest in retirement plans or pension plan,
    Automobiles in the aggregate value of $3,500.00,
    household furnishings and goods, wearing apparel, appliances, books, animals, crops, or musical instruments that are primarily for personal family or household use not to exceed $200.00 in value in each item but not to exceed $5,000.00 in aggregate value,
    jewelry in the aggregate value of $500.00,
    the debtor's aggregate interest, not to exceed $600.00 in value plus any unused amount of the homestead exemption in any property, to a maximum of $5,600,
    professional books or tools of the trade in the aggregate value of $1,500.00,
    unmatured life insurance contract,
    the debtor's aggregate interest in the loan value on any unmatured insurance contract not to exceed $2,000.00,
    professional health aids,
    an award under a crime victim's reparation law,
    payment of not more than $10,000.00 from the recovery for personal injuries excluding pain and suffering or compensation for actual pecuniary loss, and
    payment for compensation for loss of future earnings to the extent reasonably necessary for the support of the debtor and his dependants.
    www.BankruptcyForum.com

Regarding these 2 lines... I own no home, land, etc. In terms of the 2nd clause, where it states no single item can be valued over $200, does this apply to using the homestead exemption for personal property?

We don't have much of real value, but we do have a large screen TV. Purchased it a year ago for about $1000, and while it isn't worth that much now I'm sure its over $200.

Also, for wedding rings, I don't want to pay to have them appraised-seems a waste of $$. I know what we paid for them (not alot-we were frugal there!) but I don't know if gold bands tend to hold their value, appreciate, or depreciate. Any suggestions?

Edited to add: In all, I've come up with $4897 in belongings. I am fairly confident that is a high estimate, and I challenge anyone to think of something I didn't! I even included my wedding dress (bought off Ebay for under $100) & my husband's Nascar collection (which would be larger if he had his way). Its a little odd to be putting price tags on things that I couldn't imagine anyone giving me money for.

Originally posted by lazar
    In general, a debtor may claim exemption of his homestead and nonexempt personal property from attachment or execution of a judgment, or in a bankruptcy proceeding.

A debtor generally is entitled to exemption from levy and sale by virtue of any legal process any real or personal property, or both, in the amount of $5,000.00. (Section 44-13-1.)

household furnishings and goods, wearing apparel, appliances, books, animals, crops, or musical instruments that are primarily for personal family or household use not to exceed $200.00 in value in each item but not to exceed $5,000.00 in aggregate value
    Last edited by StaciMM; 09-07-2005, 04:16 PM.
    Most of my information is from personal experience or HOURS and HOURS of online research. When you're searching online, keep in mind there is no guarantee that the info is completely up to date, and your situation is unique from anyone else's. Do your homework, and consult with an attorney so you can make an informed decision.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X