Chapter 7 Exemption Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chapter 7 Exemption Question

If you file for Chap 7 does the trustee/court take a portion of your salary? Ive been reading but cannot find any information directly related to this. I reside in Louisiana.

Can someone help me?

If you qualify for C7 they don't take some of your salary.

Comment

Normally they don't in a chapter 7, but there was an odd case that someone posted about in the last week or so where the trustee somehow took 25% of their salary during the month they filed. And of course, I can't find the thread right now.
      Filed: 7/31/08
      341: 9/19/08
      Report of no distribution 10/23/08
      DISCHARGED: 11/19/08 (Day 60)

Comment

Some states don't have a very good exemption and some trustee's will go after pay earned but unpaid at the time of filing.

So for example. I get paid once a month. I filed two days before payday. The whole months worth of pay that I had earned but not yet been paid for was an asset the trustee was very interested in. I had to amend my filing to exempt that money once she went after it.

But other than the above situation - no the trustee does not take part of your salary in a chapter 7.
        Filed: 10/26/2006
        Discharged: 03/05/2007
        Closed: 5/19/2008 - Asset case due to balance transfer and income tax refund

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X