Kansas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kansas

For the purpose of judgment enforcement or in a bankruptcy proceeding, a debtor is generally entitled to certain statutory exemptions under state laws or federal laws, or both.

Under the laws of Kansas, a judgment debtor may claim homestead exemption to the extent of 160 acres of farming land, or of one acre within the limits of an incorporated town or city, or a manufactured home or mobile home, that is occupied as a residence by the owner and his family.
    Other exemptions include:

certain public or retirement benefits, and
    personal property that are necessary to sustain the basic needs of the judgment debtor and his family,
    Jewelry, $1,000,
    Motor Vehicle, $20,000,
    Tools of trade, equipment, books, furniture, feed, stock, $7,500,
    Specifics of these exemptions are prescribed under K.S.A. 60-2301 et seq.
    www.BankruptcyForum.com

Exemption question related to 2nd home that I own

I am receiving Social Security Disability each month as my income. I also take distributions each month from my fast shrinking IRA. I am considering a Chapter 7. I own two homes side by side. My primary home is on the corner and the second home is directly next to it. My daughter lives in the house and it's always been considered her home. She is 19 and couldn't qualify for a home mortgage at this point, so, I got the loan for her and she pays the monthly payment and bills. In Kansas, my primary home would be exempt as would my IRA. There is hardly any equity in either home. My daughter is my caretaker. She does my shopping, laundry, yard work etc. for me since I can't. Since she is my caretaker and the house is basically hers except for the loan being in my name. Is there absolutely ANY WAY to keep the 2nd home from being taken by the trustee? I have some mental problems such as social phobia, and others that effects how I live. I built an 8 ft. privacy fort around both properties (making them really one fence wise) because I would not be able to have someone else (except family) live in that home. I'm really stuck here. I CANNOT LOOSE THAT 2ND Home. I am current and my daughter is current on payments.

Please help, Desperate D:

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X