Car Exemptions NYS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car Exemptions NYS

Do you have to have both husband and wife on your title to claim a double exemption ($4800.00) for an automobile in New York state?

Hi 16_Ton:

I have looked several places trying to see if having both husband and wife on the title of the car would double the exemption. So far I have not; it just talks about husband and wife doubling the homestead exemption. Here is one of the links:

New York bankruptcy exemptions. Find out the property you can keep after filing bankruptcy in New York.

Now there is a situation where a posting member here in Florida has just discovered that the family car--the only one they have-- is titled in his name only. Their attorney has told them that they can't add her name to the title, and so the only exemption that they can use for the car is $1000.00. It is appearing that their Trustee is going to make them an Asset 7, and make them pay 2-3K back to the Trustee to keep the car. Which I think stinks--but I don't make the rules.

That couple was supposed to have their 341 today, and he was going to report back as to what happened. But T. S. Fay has put the kibosh on that. Now, we'll have to wait until next week to find out what the Trustee decides to do.
    "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X