Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Texas

In general, a debtor may claim exemption of his homestead and certain personal property from attachment and execution of a judgment.

A debtor's homestead and one or more lots used for a place of burial of the dead are exempt from seizure for the claims of creditors. (Prop. C. 41.001.) If used for the purposes of an urban home or as a place to exercise a calling or business in the same urban area, the homestead of a family or a single, adult person, not otherwise entitled to a homestead, consists of not more than one acre of land which may be in one or more lots, together with any improvements thereon. (Prop. C. 41.002(a).)If used for the purposes of a rural home:
    the homestead consists of: for a family, not more than 200 acres, which may be in one or more parcels, with the improvements thereon; or
    for a single, adult person, not otherwise entitled to a homestead, not more than 100 acres, which may be in one or more parcels, with the improvements thereon. (Prop. C. 41.002(b).)
    Personal property of a debtor which may be exempt from garnishment, attachment, execution or other seizure may include property having an aggregate fair market value of not more than $60,000, exclusive of liens, security interests, or other encumbrances if it is provided for a family, or
    an aggregate fair market value of not more than $30,000, exclusive of liens, security interests, or other encumbrances if it is owned by a single adult. (Prop. C. 42.001(a).)
    These property may include:

home furnishings, including family heirlooms; provisions for consumption; farming or ranching vehicles and implements; tools, equipment, books, and apparatus, including boats and motor vehicles used in a trade or profession; wearing apparel; jewelry not to exceed 25 percent of the aggregate limitations prescribed by Section 42.001(a);
    two firearms;
    athletic and sporting equipment, including bicycles;
    a two-wheeled, three-wheeled, or four-wheeled motor vehicle for each member of a family or single adult who holds a driver's license or who does not hold a driver's license but who relies on another person to operate the vehicle for the benefit of the nonlicensed person;
    certain animals and forage on hand for their consumption;
    household pets;
    present value of any life insurance policy to the extent that a member of the family of the insured or a dependent of a single insured adult claiming the exemption is a beneficiary of the policy. (Prop. C. 42.002.)
    Other personal property, which may be exempt from seizure, may include current wages for personal services,
    professionally prescribed health aids of a debtor or a dependent,
    alimony, support, or separate maintenance received or to be received by the debtor or for the support of his dependent,
    qualified retirement plan, annuity or account. (Prop. C. 42.0021.)
    www.BankruptcyForum.com

Exemptions

I am currently in Chap. 13. I have some questions for you, if I were to sell my home for $60K, for example, and what I totally owe on my mortgages is $36K, would I be allowed to keep the difference? or would my non-secured creditors be allowed to take some of the profits from that sale? What happens after I sell the home, do I just pay the Chap. 13 off or can I convert the rest of my debt into a Chap. 7? BTW, I live in Texas.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X