Would my car be exempt in Ch. 7?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would my car be exempt in Ch. 7?

I recently started working as a pizza delivery driver. My car is worth more than the vehicle exemption amount in my state. However would I still be able to keep my car and have it be exempt since I need it for work? Any help would be much appreciated.

Hi and welcome SFJ!

Do you owe money on it?
    Filed C7 Aug 31 2008
    341 Oct 8 2008
    Discharged Dec 9 2008

Comment

What did you use to determine its value?
      Filed Ch 7 -- July 9, 2008
      341 mtg ---- August 14, 2008
      Discharged ---- October 17, 2008
      Closed --------- December 11, 2009!

Comment

I do not owe any money on it. I was using kelley blue book but in any event it is definately over the 2500 exemption.

Comment

You will probably need to pay the trustee the amount of value over the exempted amount to keep it. You need a car for your job, you don't need that particular car for your job, if you know what I mean. Say the car is worth $7000 and your exemption is $2500, the trustee would take the car, give you $2500 with it, and tell you to buy a $2500 car to do your job. Sorry!
          Filed CH 13 September 17, 2007
          Plan Modified July 8, 2009 from $1100/month to $400/month due to change in income, finally discharged in July of 2013!

Comment

what state are you in. In ca. you can use the wildcard and/or part of your homestead for anything you want. If you dont have many exemptions then your golden

Comment

If the vehicle is necessary for your job (delivery driver definitely needs a vehicle) then you can use the tools of trade exemption as well. In most states, that exemption is from $5k to $25k. I exempted a 2006 Cadillac Escalade for a client who had to use his vehicle to deliver product to his clients after hours and couldn't use the company truck.

Good Luck
              Disclaimer: I am not an actor on TV, but I play a BK Paralegal in real life. Nothing I say should be construed as legal advice, or really anything but entertainment. Please seek out professional help.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X