No announcement yet.

Converting Non-Exempt Assets to Exempt Assets (Retirement Accounts)/ Time Frame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Converting Non-Exempt Assets to Exempt Assets (Retirement Accounts)/ Time Frame

Hi everyone,

I am considering a chapter 7 bankruptcy sometime within the next 6 to 12 months. I have flexibility on the dates- I can file it later than 12 months if necessary.

I am interested in contributing as much money as possible into and IRA account. Do I need to be concerned in regards to the timing of contributions and the filing of a chapter 7 bankruptcy? I keep hearing that it should generally be between 6 and 12 months before a bankruptcy filing. Should I also be concerned with the amount of the contributions or does it not mater? Any thoughts?

Best regards,

Easy Money

Bump. I'm interested in the answer too. Also how much time after discharge they would come after you if you had to make an emergency withdrawal from the IRA/401k.

Comment

I found an article that discusses what the Trustee looks for when you are converting non-exempt assets to exempt assets. There are apparently "badges of fraud":

Courts will look at what is referred to as "badges of fraud" in determining whether a conversion of non-exempt assets to exempt was made with fraudulent intent. Commonly identified badges of fraud, in the exemption planning context, include: (i) nondisclosure or concealment of the transfer(s) related to the conversion or of the exempt asset; (ii) effecting a conversion right after the debtor had been sued or threatened with suit (or had a judgment entered on the suit); (iii) a conversion of substantially all of the debtor's assets; (iv) a conversion of more than what the Court might conclude what was reasonable or necessary in the context of the debtor's situation (the "hogs get slaughtered" test); (v) engaging in what appears to be economically irrational transfers in order to create exempt assets; and (v) using borrowed funds or the proceeds of the sale of non-exempt assets to acquire exempt assets.

Katz Law Office is a law firm helping consumers reorganize their finances to obtain a fresh start. In this page we review the basics of exemptions in bankruptcy.
      Filed CH 7 9/30/2008
      Discharged Jan 5, 2009! Closed Jan 18, 2009

I am not an attorney. None of my advice is legal advice in any way..

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X