Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oregon Earned Income Refund to Trustee?

Hello
    I was posting on another board (and then somehow I posted in the wrong section on this board - Im not very experienced with these forums so I apologize) and one of the experienced posters suggested I post on here and see if anyone had any insight they would be willing to share with me.

Background: I filed Chapter 7 in Feb 2008. My meeting of the Creditors was in March 2008 at which time the Trustee said I was to send him my stimulus package when I received it (which I did in May when it arrived - $900) and he wanted an itemization of how I had spent my 2007 tax refund (which I sent him within the week after my 341 hearing).

My Bankruptcy was discharged in June 2008.

I heard nothing more from the Trustee, and when I asked, my attorney said I didnt need to do anything else, that I was 'done' and that I would not have to pay the Trustee anything else as I was 'done' (because I asked if I would have to pay him anything more) I also asked him about buying a car (used) as mine was repossessed and he said that was fine (which I did. I put zero down and the dealership arranged financing for me).

Yesterday (March 27th 2009 - almost 9 months since the discharge and the last communication from the Trustee) I received a letter from the Trustee saying that my attorney gave him permission to contact me directly. He said I was to send him $200 for non allowable things and that I was to send him my 2008 Tax filing and Refund when I received it.

I tried to call my attorney to find out about this, as he didnt tell me Id have to pay the Trustee my 2008 refund, but his number was disconnected. I then went through papers in my file and by fluke found a random number by his name and called it, it turned out to be his home phone number (I think) - he said he no longer worked for that law firm and that I was told in the 341 meeting that I would have to pay my 2008 refund to the Trustee. (mind you this conversation he and I had lasted about 90 seconds tops so how he remembered who I was and the details of my case from almost a year ago I dont know but he was adamant that I was told these things). I explained that neither he nor the Trustee had told me this, but rather that he had told me I wouldnt have to pay anything else as my bankruptcy was done. He became quite annoyed with me and told me he wasnt going to argue with me now and to call his new office number on Monday.

What Im trying to figure out is what I need to do, as I dont have any faith that my attorney is going to be much help. Here is the problem:

I spent my refund, because I didnt know I couldnt so while I have my 2008 tax filing, I dont have the money to send to the Trustee. (I do have $200 to send him).

After reading through posts and googling, I have found things that said that in Oregon, tax refunds made up of Earned Income Tax Credit are exempt from the Trustee being able to take it. My ENTIRE refund is EIC (Im a single mother of 3, well of 2 now that one is in college - and I dont make alot at work and my hours were recently cut again as well). Ive read (and was advised on the other board) that if I have spent the refund, my bankruptcy discharge could be revoked or that the Trustee may take payments. My question is about the EIC refund being exempt in Oregon. Is this correct? And if it is, then why was he able to take the $900 stimulus package since when I did my 2008 taxes, they took that amount out of what I would have received in refund as having already been paid.. so in essence it was EIC as well.

Mostly Im concerned that my discharge will be revoked and that I will get in trouble somehow. The poster on the other board said I wont go to jail (which is something else that scared me) but I dont know how to proceed from here.

Any insight or knowledge someone might have would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you.

Two things. First, I would call the bar association and see if you could get some free legal help since it would appear your attorney made an error. It certainly can't hurt to ask. You could also make a few free appointments with attorneys in your area to review your papers and agree on a set price to fix this. (Hopefully it would be agreed on less than your EIC amount) Third I would get a Pacer account and check for yourself to see what the status of your BK is. Should have closed by now unless there is an issue.
    Filed!!04/23/2008[X] 341 5/27/2008[X]Converted to asset case 5/26/2008 [X]
    DISCHARGE 08/12/2008[X]
    Converted to NO Asset case 12/15/2008[X]
    Closed 12/16/2008 [X]:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Comment

Originally posted by MomIcantFindmy View Post
      Two things. First, I would call the bar association and see if you could get some free legal help since it would appear your attorney made an error. It certainly can't hurt to ask. You could also make a few free appointments with attorneys in your area to review your papers and agree on a set price to fix this. (Hopefully it would be agreed on less than your EIC amount) Third I would get a Pacer account and check for yourself to see what the status of your BK is. Should have closed by now unless there is an issue.
      Hello
      Thank you very much for replying.
      Monday I will do that. My old attorney said to call him Monday at his new office, so my thought is to do that and see what he says, and then I also have the names of several other attorneys in my area who do free consultations and I was going to go see them and see what they say.

Im not sure what the Bar association is, but I will look them up and give them a call as well.

I did get a Pacer account but for some reason I cant seem to access the Oregon Bankruptcy court pages. I can find MY filing, but when I go to click on my case number it just says 'waiting for site' or something and the blue bar gets stuck about half way across and then it ends up an internal server error. I tried yesterday morning right after I registered and then again last night before I went to bed and it still did the same thing, so I dont know if its a problem with the Oregon pages or if they are undergoing maintenance. I wrote to the Pacer help email but have not heard back from them yet.

Comment

Originally posted by MomIcantFindmy View Post
        Hello
        I wanted to thank you again for your advice. I received a reply at another site, from an attorney in my home town here, who said that since my refund is EIC, it is exempt and said to send in my filed taxes along with a letter stating its EIC and therefore exempt. Then I did call my attorney who said pretty much the same thing, so that is what I have done. We will see what the Trustee says - although if for some reason he deems any portion of my refund not exempt, he would only be entitled to a pro rated portion (jan/part of feb until I filed).

I was finally able to access my pages on Pacer (the Oregon court site was down for updating) and it didnt tell me alot, other than it was pending, and that the Trustee feels mine is an assets case (possibly because he doesnt realise my refund is EIC maybe). Also, I found out that the $200 he says I have to send in for 'non allowable items' is actually a secured interest one of my creditors filed.

I am feeling less worried now and wanted to thank you, MomICantFindmy, for your kind and informative replies

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X