Firearm Exemption--Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firearm Exemption--Texas

We aren't eligible for filing BK, but I was looking at what is exempt if you have a judgment against you for unsecured debt.

In TX, it says 2 firearms. For a married couple, is that 2 total or 2 per person. (For example: 1 in my name and 2 in husbands) Unsecured debt in both of our names.

I see in BK that the trustee will require you to turn it over, however what about if you have CA has judgment against you?

It depends on:

1) Are you filing jointly? If so, it's two total.
    2) Are you filing separately? If so..
    a) Were they acquired DURING the marriage? If so, two total.
    b) Were they acquired BEFORE the marriage? If so, two for the filer, the rest are OK.

More community property fun.
    Filed Joint, No Asset, > $100,000 Unsecured Ch.7 6/7/13 ~~ 341 Meeting 7/15/13 ~~ Discharged 9/16/13 !!

Comment

Firearm exemption. What a wonderful Idea. I never knew this. Only in TX. We are in FL and it is also firearm friendly. However, not to this extent. Other than our home, Florida, our next favorite place would be TX. A wonderful Country. 'Hub
      If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

I am also in Texas and have concerns about this. I have 5 guns total, 2 of them were purchased by me and are registered in my name. 3 are family heirlooms passed down to me from my grandfathers on both sides. So they can take 3 of my guns?
        03/25/10: filed BK13, 05/05/10: 341 completed,
        06/24/10: confirmed (7% to unsecured)

Comment

Originally posted by Amadan View Post
          I am also in Texas and have concerns about this. I have 5 guns total, 2 of them were purchased by me and are registered in my name. 3 are family heirlooms passed down to me from my grandfathers on both sides. So they can take 3 of my guns?
          Most "family heirloom" weapons are not very valuable. Take them to a pawn shop and see what you can get for them. If you can't cover them under any other exemptions, you can buy them back from the trustee for probably very little.
          Wife Laid off - 11/16/2009 Missed First Payments - 12/5/2009
          Filed Chap 7 - 12/31/2009
          341 - 2/12/2010
          Discharged - 4/19/2010

Comment

Originally posted by Amadan View Post
            Very VERY similar situation here.

We are in TX and hubby has 5 firearms. 2 purchased and the rest given to him by his dad, and have been in the family.

We will probably be using the Federal Exemptions vs. TX exemptions, which would allow us to exempt them with the wildcard according to the attorney's I've spoke with.

Comment

We have 19 guns and they did not touch any of them. We filed in Kansas but used Texas exemptions because it is where we lived prior. We used a exemption called the "wildcard" think this is what it was called!) exemption. We had to list then at pawn shop value. good luck. hope this helps!

Comment

one key thing to remember is handing over guns, especially items that have tax stamps or are considered assault weapons by the federal standards, is that they cannot be just "handed over" if you did that you could be committing a serious felony.

just be very aware of of your local, state and federal gun laws before giving a gun to someone.
                stopped paying 5/16/2010
                filed 8/2/2010
                341 8/31/2010
                Report of no Distribution 9/1/2010 expected discharge 10/31/2010

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X