top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there anyway to exempt land in another state?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there anyway to exempt land in another state?

I live in Texas and really need to file ch 7, but have not done so yet. My wife and I own a house that is valued around 165k/ we owe 145k for it and it also needs work before it could be sold (foundation repairs). I also own 50 acres of "wilderness land" that is part of a 100 acre family plot in another state. I really want to keep this land (sentimental reasons/but we also are able to timber the land every 12 years or so). The value of the land is maybe 25-30k ideal selling conditions (my 50 acres) if sold. Is there anyway to exempt this land with Texas or Federal exemptions?
    What about as part of a business?-i.e. Timber (which is not ready to be timbered for 3 to 4 years).
    Thanks for any advice/help.

I was wondering the same thing. We own our home in Indiana and also own 2 boat docks (in our name) in FL. My brother inlaw bought both boat docks one for $15,000. and one for $20,000. They had to be put in our name because we lived (2nd home now sold 5 years ago) in the association where they were located. He pays all taxes on one and has for the last 10 years and we pay the other. We have had ours up for sale for the last 5 years and not one offer. Listing price started at $125,000.00 5 years ago and now we have it up for sale for $40,000. 1/2 of which goes to my brother inlaw. How do we work this out. We are doing a 13 just because of this stupid dock and my brother inlaw. They can have ours.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X