Second time filing and ?'s on keeping my car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Second time filing and ?'s on keeping my car

I have been reading here for weeks now and i love it ! Due to a divorce in 1998, I filed chapt 7 in 1999 and all was well. now Im alone and disabled, no job and went to a lawyer last week to do this again. I walked out without asking her this---What will happen since this is the second time I have filed? I also bought a car 9 months ago a ford fusion. i owe 19,000 but im sure it is only worth 10,000 should i keep this? will i have a hard time getting a different one? I'd appreciate any feedback. thanks Coco

well coco
    I am in the same boat as you,
    i filed in 1998 also

I would like to blame my husband ex but i wont
    he got a divorce and did not have a lawyer and left she him with all the bills

we were not married yet, but i had a lot of credit cards too, and lawyer said if your going to stay together you might as well both file,

I was union so i had free legal and didnt pay a dime for the bankrupcy and they gave him a big discount becouse we were not married yet
    (with the rules they have now I dont think we would of been eligible then for a chapter 7)

I quess I could of walked away but i didnt

i was young and stupid and i did not keep eye on my credit report after i filed
    we never really tried to get credit untill a couple of years ago, and a lot of stuff was never reported right, so i guess that is why im in the mess i am now,

when we did needed credit we could not get becouse i did not rebuild my credit right,so i was stuck at the high interest rates installments loan and payday advances

this time around its all in my name and I have no medical bills so my husband is not filing and im working hard right now to his credit cleaned up

he has 2 collection on his credit report that should of been part of his bankrupcy in 98
    I just spent about 3 hrs writing to all three credit agency on monday to get his cleaned up
    right now is credit fico score is 611
    he going to a secured credit and leave the installments loan people alone

I guess the moral of this story guys is to check your credit report very often
    one of his credit reports as my last 4 numbers of my ssn down for his
    I dont know how im going to get that mess fixed

sorry i rambled but your the first person i have seen that has filed already
    i felt like i was the only one,

I have a 5 year old and when the installment people came to the door and i would not answer my son was scared, becouse they were banging on the door, i know had to do something, it was not fair for him, this was my fault and he needed is mommy and daddy to not be stressed and mommy crying all the time,

im going to work hard this time to rebuild my credit the right away, keep on top of my credit report
    Last edited by rrj; 11-24-2009, 10:18 PM.
    filed chapter 7 Nov 17, 2009
    341 meeting Dec 21
    dec 22 no funds no asset
    Objections for Discharge due by 02/19/2010

Comment

Originally posted by coco1 View Post
      I have been reading here for weeks now and i love it ! Due to a divorce in 1998, I filed chapt 7 in 1999 and all was well. now Im alone and disabled, no job and went to a lawyer last week to do this again. I walked out without asking her this---What will happen since this is the second time I have filed? I also bought a car 9 months ago a ford fusion. i owe 19,000 but im sure it is only worth 10,000 should i keep this? will i have a hard time getting a different one? I'd appreciate any feedback. thanks Coco
      My wife listed that she had filed before on her petition as did I. They asked the year filed and that was it. There was nothing else said about it. They are mainly looking to make sure 8 years has passed.

Regarding the car... That is a decision you would have to make based on your circumstances. The easy answer is no you should not keep a car you are that far upside down on. You are making a clean break from bad debt and a car you owe way more on than what it is worth is a real bad debt.

The problem becomes... What will you do for transportation if you let the car go back? Most of the places that we checked on would gladly finance us if we put 25-50% down and did the in house financing at 35%.

If nothing else you can try to do a ride through. That means you include it in the bankruptcy but you keep paying your payment and if something goes wrong you can still return the car without owing the difference.

Good luck
      9/30/09 * Filed Ch7
      11/9/09 * 341 - Uneventful
      1/11/10 * Closed

Comment

I filed when I was 19 for about $12,000 debt. Stupid. Bad lawyer just wanted my money. That was 16 years ago.
        My husband filed after we were married due to my son being very ill, and he was ffired during his training period on a new job, due to missing so much training from being at the hospital. That was 14 years ago.
        Both went well,

We are filing again due to bad job changes and poor money decisions.
        Hard pill to swallow, to have to do it again, but it is.. what it is.
        Life happens and its not always easy!
        Good luck to us all!
        Filing cpt.7 11/09 341- 1/21/10
        Report of no distribution 1/21/10
        Scheduled for discharge 3/22/10 (on my 15th wedding anniversary!)

Comment

And here are some famouse cases of bk by some that later went on to great success.

Attorney Retained/Paid: 1-4-10
          Online CCC-Completed & Cert Received: 1-8-10
          Filed Chapter 7 1-18-10.
          341 3-10-10 ~~~ Last Day to Object: 5-10-10

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X