top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did anyone's home/car insurance premiums go up after your discharge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did anyone's home/car insurance premiums go up after your discharge?

This has crossed my mind many times, and I have went on the net to do research on insurance companies here in Michigan (a state that allows ins. companies to adjust premiums according to our credit scores). I haven't had much luck in finding any answers, except for a list of all states that allow insurance companies the right to raise your premiums after your credit score is revealed negatively, such as a bk on your record.

Now if you end up in a c13 and the plan takes all your DMI on scehdule J, and later on into the c13 plan, your home/car insurance goes up at all, then how can a person pay it? People that file don't have extra money as it is. Same goes for c7 people.

To me, this goes against the grain or would defeat a c13 plan for sure only to have the plan fail, or the people starve to death cutting back on expenses to pay the higher premiums after bk was over

I live in Michigan. My insurance company is Safeco, which does look at credit scores to determine the monthly premium for renewal every 6 months.Time will tell on how much of an increase since my renewals are in Feb. for car insurance, and the house is in August of next year.

So my question is to all the discharged bk filers is this.

Q. Did your home/car insurance go UP after your discharge. If so, what state doe you live in, and how much of an increase?
    Last edited by Michigan1951; 11-28-2009, 07:19 AM. Reason: sentence structure.
    (first 341 10/14/09, cont'd 341 10/23/09) (12/14/09 last day to object) (341 Shows HELD w/tt report of no distribution 1/9/2010)
    :clapping Discharged 1/25/2010 Case Closed 3/11/2010:D

Car Insurance

Hello,
    Ours didn't go up (yet) but instead of allowing me to make the monthly payment, which I've done for about 6 years, this month they called the balance of $561!! They said after I paid that I could talk to them about going on the monthly plan again. Holy cow bells! That was a nice after Thanksgiving gift! The electric company lost their minds too. I sent our bill well before it was due, and they didn't receive it for 10 days. They sent a letter asking where it was, telling me also to pay up or they'd hit me with a $1500 deposit!! All of this just within a week of filing chapter 7.

My question is do these companies get notification of bankruptcy too? And shouldn't that NOT happen? I mean they're getting paid, can't live without electric and car insurance??!!

Zoe

Comment

Originally posted by zoe1961 View Post
      Hello,
      Ours didn't go up (yet) but instead of allowing me to make the monthly payment, which I've done for about 6 years, this month they called the balance of $561!! They said after I paid that I could talk to them about going on the monthly plan again. Holy cow bells! That was a nice after Thanksgiving gift! The electric company lost their minds too. I sent our bill well before it was due, and they didn't receive it for 10 days. They sent a letter asking where it was, telling me also to pay up or they'd hit me with a $1500 deposit!! All of this just within a week of filing chapter 7.

My question is do these companies get notification of bankruptcy too? And shouldn't that NOT happen? I mean they're getting paid, can't live without electric and car insurance??!!

Zoe
      Holy cow! How in the heck do people come up with that right after filing for bankruptcy?

That is one steep deposit.

Comment

You got that right, JEM. I don't believe that the utility companies can turn off heat or light though. That 1500 deposit sure sounds a bit harsh. And, as for the 561 due all at once is absolutely a_ s - o - 9.
        My home/car insurance hasn't gone up yet, but once Safeco finds out at renewal time sure will be the test. I am looking around to see if there are other companies that would take us just in case Safeco tries to milk us beyond the unusual. I wanted to run this thread to see if stuff like that actually has happened to others AFTER bk.
        (first 341 10/14/09, cont'd 341 10/23/09) (12/14/09 last day to object) (341 Shows HELD w/tt report of no distribution 1/9/2010)

Comment

I live in Michigan and so far, mine hasn't increased. I was discharged in July and my automobile insurance policy renewed last month with Allied, who supposedly uses credit scoring. My renters policy will renew in July with Fremont. I've had Fremont for many years (before I filed and while my credit score was still in the high 700s) and my insurance agent tells me that Fremont only checks your credit once, regardless of policy changes. So, in the event that Allied jacks my auto premium, I will switch to Fremont who still thinks I have stellar credit.
          CH7 Filed 2/26/2009 (no asset)
          341 Meeting 4/7/2009
          Discharged 7/10/2009
          Closed 7/28/2009

Comment

That is great info, cupcake!! What is Fremont insurance and where is it?

Comment

Originally posted by Michigan1951 View Post
              That is great info, cupcake!! What is Fremont insurance and where is it?
              Fremont Insurance

Fremont offers pretty much any type of insurance you might need: auto, homeowners, renters, marine, farm, etc. and it is based out of Fremont, Michigan. Also, their rates are very reasonable. I cannot comment about claims service, as I have never made a claim with them.
              CH7 Filed 2/26/2009 (no asset)
              341 Meeting 4/7/2009
              Discharged 7/10/2009
              Closed 7/28/2009

Comment

My house insurance got jacked up after we filed. I switched Liberty Mutual. They were easy and so far I really enjoy them as an insurance company. Yes, I live in Michigan

Oh yeah,

They were lower than my previous insurance. I insured two cars & a house
                Last edited by Mi Bankruptcy; 11-30-2009, 09:18 AM.

Comment

Here in podunk MO I pay 1200 for two cars per year that are worth about 6000.00 combined full coverage and my 90,000.00 house is covered with 500.00 per year.. costly... I know mine will go up because we are giving up the house, so we will not have the duel homeowners type of coverage. I am a bit worried... geesh.. may have to get renters too.

Comment

Mine didn't go up because of my bankruptcy. Heck, I doubt my insurance company even knows about that! Mine went up because, in the state of Wisconsin, there's some mandatory BS about higher limits for uninsured drivers. So, mine went up as of Nov. 1st, about $10.

I pay $160/mo for 2 cars (Escalade and Grand Prix) and my home owners ($500/year)
                    Filed Chapter 7: 3-22-08
                    341 Meeting: 5-15-08 It went great!!!
                    Last day for objections: 7-14-08
                    Discharged and Closed: 7-21-08

Comment

If I am not mistaken.....

Originally posted by Mi Bankruptcy View Post
                      My house insurance got jacked up after we filed. I switched Liberty Mutual. They were easy and so far I really enjoy them as an insurance company. Yes, I live in Michigan

Oh yeah,

They were lower than my previous insurance. I insured two cars & a house
                      If I am not mistaken, Safeco is now owned by Liberty Mutual. Hmmmmm...
                      I shall keep my eyes open from here on out to see IF Safeco does ding me on higher premiums though. My home is with them too.

Comment

I'm in TX and our premiums haven't budged. We've been with our insurance company for 10 years though so maybe that's why.
                        4/09 Converted to a Ch 7 due to loss in dh's income
                        5/09 UST now involved no idea what happens next
                        7/09 UST has decided to withdraw his motion to dismiss!
                        7/27/09 DISCHARGED!!!

Comment

Originally posted by aces67 View Post
                          I'm in TX and our premiums haven't budged. We've been with our insurance company for 10 years though so maybe that's why.
                          That is what what was odd with our insurance. We had been with ours for 5 years and they auto deducted our payments without any claims. So.. go figure.. guess my money wasn't good enough

Comment

We are with Farm Bureau of TX. I think they offer insurance in other states also. Their rates are great and so is their service.
                            4/09 Converted to a Ch 7 due to loss in dh's income
                            5/09 UST now involved no idea what happens next
                            7/09 UST has decided to withdraw his motion to dismiss!
                            7/27/09 DISCHARGED!!!

Comment

Anybody have American Family when you filed BK?
                              Stopped Payings CC's: 8/14/2009 | Retained Attorney: 9/23/2009 | Filed CH 7: 12/7/2009 | 341 Meeting: 1/21/2010 - Complete | Discharged: 4/9/2010
                              "One person pretends to be rich, yet has nothing; another pretends to be poor, yet has great wealth."

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X