top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

who used federal exemptions instead of state exemptions???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

who used federal exemptions instead of state exemptions???

Just wondering who used federal exemptions instead of state exemptions in your case and why you chose to do so?
    Filed Pro Se- 12/15/2009
    341- 2/17/2010
    DISCHARGED- 3/18/2010

We used Federal exemptions. In our case the fed exemptions were much more adventageous. Plus our lawyer advised us to do so.
    Filed Chapter 7 August 18,2009
    341 scheduled for Oct 7, 2009--DONE!
    Report of No Distribution Oct 8, 2009
    Discharged & Closed Dec. 14, 2009

Comment

you would use the federal exemption when the state didn't bother to update its exemptions. like, if the state exemptions include a cow, a horse, and a couple of sheep...
      filed ch7 May 09
      341 june 09
      discharged, closed Aug 09

Comment

used federal exemptions in Washington state because it allowed me to exempt cash and tax return since I have no equity in my house.

Comment

Originally posted by music12 View Post
          you would use the federal exemption when the state didn't bother to update its exemptions. like, if the state exemptions include a cow, a horse, and a couple of sheep...
          One would also use State exemptions, in states that do not have federal exemptions available, as is the case in Florida.

Comment

My state uses its own exemptions...

Comment

I used Fed because I had a property I was surrendering out of state and also, my Lawyer advised me to do it.
              -------
              Converted to Chap 13 from Chap 7 Feb 28
              341 April 16...

Comment

also be aware that only some states allow you to use fed exemptions, so you don't always have a choice.
                filed ch7 May 09
                341 june 09
                discharged, closed Aug 09

Comment

I used Federal exemptions because of the generous wildcard, and because I could used the homestead exemption as a wildcard because I don't own a home.
                  You can't take a picture of this. It's already gone. ~~Nate, Six Feet Under

Comment

Can you use the federal homestead exemption as a wild card if you do own a home but are surrendering it? (If it matters, it's underwater and we are in foreclosure, planning to file just in time to stave off the sheriff sale to buy some time)
                    Last edited by StartinOver; 04-21-2011, 12:06 PM. Reason: I forgot to include some helpful details
                    Figured out we were in trouble: (Wait, we're in trouble? ) Stopped paying creditors: Aug 2010 Filed Chap 7: Apr 29, 2011 341: Jun 1, 2011 Report of no distribution: Jun 1, 2011 Discharged Aug 2, 2011

Comment

Yes. You can use the wild card portion of the fed exemption if you surrender a house in bk (assuming using fed exemptions is allowed). And to answer your question, people use whichever is most advantageous to them if they have a choice. If no choice, you are pretty much stuck with what you get. One great thing to know is that if you haven't lived in your state for 2 years prior to filing, then you have to use the exemption rules from your old state. BUT and this a big but (no not that kind,) many states don't let you use their exemptions if you are no longer a resident or a domicilary (ie. live there). Then you are "forced" into using federal exemptions. That was our situation and it was beneficial.

Comment

I used ther Fed too. It gave me alot better advantages then my state does.

Comment

Me in Pa,Pa perfers you live out of a box afterwards much better advantages with Federal...

Comment

I will be using Fed Exemptions when I file, because I will have moved to North Carolina. I will have almost $24,000 in wild card exemptions I can use that way. Some will be used to cover excess value in our vehicles, the rest will be cash. I am so happy about that, too!

I, along with probably most people, have no equity in my home. Everyone says "stop paying the house payment and save up the money." But then BK doesn't allow you to have much money. So what do you do with the money you save? I know, I know, all the stuff you put off paying for, and I plan to do that. But I will feel so much more secure going into a BK knowing we will at least have a little savings.

They say the BK system doesn't want you to be destitute, but yet you are only allowed a small amount of DMI every month. No savings unless you can get it through an exemption. Maybe I am used to having too much DMI, but the thought of having less than two hundred bucks left over each month terrifies me more than a trustee, lol.

Comment

What about contributing to a exempt IRA?

Originally posted by StrawberrySu View Post
                              I will be using Fed Exemptions when I file, because I will have moved to North Carolina. I will have almost $24,000 in wild card exemptions I can use that way. Some will be used to cover excess value in our vehicles, the rest will be cash. I am so happy about that, too!

I, along with probably most people, have no equity in my home. Everyone says "stop paying the house payment and save up the money." But then BK doesn't allow you to have much money. So what do you do with the money you save? I know, I know, all the stuff you put off paying for, and I plan to do that. But I will feel so much more secure going into a BK knowing we will at least have a little savings.

They say the BK system doesn't want you to be destitute, but yet you are only allowed a small amount of DMI every month. No savings unless you can get it through an exemption. Maybe I am used to having too much DMI, but the thought of having less than two hundred bucks left over each month terrifies me more than a trustee, lol.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X