Need advice, file or don't file???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need advice, file or don't file???

Early thirties, single, no house, no car, no assets. Lost job and on unemployment. Student loans (in defferement). 35K in cc debt. Should I file? Alot of people are telling me that I don't have anything so just let them charge off they can't take anything from me. I'm worried about getting a future job (will have doctorate in future). They say that bk looks worse then charge offs. Should I just let them go? I'm willing to pay my student loans and understand they will not be rid of, but how about this cc debt? Is is worth doing this for 35K? Thank you.
    Also, I made a purchase of under 500 dollars on one CC recently, is this going to hinder my bk application?

it depends on how long you think it will take for you to find a job (btw, having a doctorate does not guarantee you get one, speaking from experience...). it also depends on how you would plan to support yourself after filing for bk if you still don't have a job. do you use credit cards for food and utilities? if so, you should not file bk now because it' s most likely that you will not have any access to credit cards, only to your unemployment.

the 500 should not be a problem, though i hope it was on something necessary and not a luxury.
    filed ch7 May 09
    341 june 09
    discharged, closed Aug 09

Comment

Yes, its worth it! That's a lot of debt to have on a credit card. I bet the interest payments are about the same they'd be If you got a mortgage on a house. Go ahead and file chapter 7 bankruptcy.
      2/12/08 Chapter 7 bankruptcy forms filed (Pro Se).
      5/27/08 Confirmed!

Comment

bump

Comment

That is a lot of CC debt. Have you talked to a BK attorney? You should. Consultations are free usually and they can go over everything with you.
          4/09 Converted to a Ch 7 due to loss in dh's income
          5/09 UST now involved no idea what happens next
          7/09 UST has decided to withdraw his motion to dismiss!
          7/27/09 DISCHARGED!!!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X