Few Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Few Question

This is my first post and I would like to thank everyone for all the great information and for a great helpful website.

I have read all the faq's and don't see the answer to my questions. My wife and plan to file bk7 pro se and our only issue I can see is that we are currently in a loan modification from Wells Fargo. Its just an in-house modification where the past due payments will be put on the end of the loan. We must keep our home as we have a 20 month old daughter and can not uproot her right now. After hours and hours of searching I have found a lot of different answers to this problem. Who would I need to talk to to find out a definitive answer? Would it be wells fargo or the trustee?
    -Filed Ch7 pro se 04/14/2010
    -341 Meeting is 05/24/2010 (went uneventfully well)
    -Report of No Distribution 6/4/2010
    -Discharge 7/28/2010

I'm not sure but hopefully one of the members can answer your question.
    4/09 Converted to a Ch 7 due to loss in dh's income
    5/09 UST now involved no idea what happens next
    7/09 UST has decided to withdraw his motion to dismiss!
    7/27/09 DISCHARGED!!!

Comment

even if you plan to file pro se, you should go for free consultations with bk attorneys. ask two or three of them this question. see what they tell you.
      filed ch7 May 09
      341 june 09
      discharged, closed Aug 09

Comment

Originally posted by music12 View Post
        even if you plan to file pro se, you should go for free consultations with bk attorneys. ask two or three of them this question. see what they tell you.
        I have already been in contact with a couple of attorneys but none seem to be interested in even meeting with me. Was hoping for some answers here. Thanks for the advice though. I will continue to look for a good attorney.
        -Discharge 7/28/2010

Comment

let me guess: you told these attorneys that you are going to file pro se.

right?

if that's the case, of course they won't talk to you. the idea behind free consultations is that the attorney invests 30 minutes of his time for free hoping that you would then hire them.

so try some new lawyers, this time don't tell them you plan to file pro se. just tell them you are considering bk. i'm sure they'll meet with you.
          filed ch7 May 09
          341 june 09

Comment

Originally posted by music12 View Post
            let me guess: you told these attorneys that you are going to file pro se.

right?

if that's the case, of course they won't talk to you. the idea behind free consultations is that the attorney invests 30 minutes of his time for free hoping that you would then hire them.

so try some new lawyers, this time don't tell them you plan to file pro se. just tell them you are considering bk. i'm sure they'll meet with you.
            Of course I didn't tell them I plan to file pro se. I actually may just hire an attorney if I find one that I actually trust and that seems to know what they are talking about.
            -Discharge 7/28/2010

Comment

then i am very confused. attorneys need clients. i don't see why on earth they would not meet with you. maybe try to set something up with a secretary. once you are physically there, you will get some answers.

or maybe someone on this forum will help. i don't know enough to help.
              filed ch7 May 09
              341 june 09

Comment

Talked to an attorney today who seemed to not have any answers for me regarding this issue. I keep getting completely opposite answers from different forums too.
                -Discharge 7/28/2010

Comment

I doubt anyone can answer this.

Simply put, the bank does not know what it is doing from one department to another, and this situation is so new there really aren't many cases you can look at. Trustees vary on what they allow for expenses as well, including, in some cases, mortgage expenses.

I don't think anyone knows how the trustee will view the expense of a possibly temporary modification. Also, the bank may or may not make it permanent, may decide to foreclose if you file BK, or even if you do not.

Tough situation, and sorry you cannot find answers. It may turn out that the only way to get an answer is by filing. Then, it might not be the answer you would like.
                  11-20-09-- Filed Chapter 7
                  12-23-09-- 341 Meeting-Early Christmas Gift?
                  3-9-10--Discharged

Comment

Originally posted by GettingGoing View Post
                    I have already been in contact with a couple of attorneys but none seem to be interested in even meeting with me. Was hoping for some answers here. Thanks for the advice though. I will continue to look for a good attorney.
                    Well why would they be interested in meeting with you? I'm not trying to be harsh, but if you make it known in advance that all you want to do is pick their brain so that you can get enough information from them about how to file your pro se case, what's the potential upside for them?
                    Pay no attention to anything I post. I graduated last in my class from a fly-by-night law school that no longer exists; I never studied or went to class; and I only post on internet forums when I'm too drunk to crawl away from the computer.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadManCrawling View Post
                      I doubt anyone can answer this.

Simply put, the bank does not know what it is doing from one department to another, and this situation is so new there really aren't many cases you can look at. Trustees vary on what they allow for expenses as well, including, in some cases, mortgage expenses.

I don't think anyone knows how the trustee will view the expense of a possibly temporary modification. Also, the bank may or may not make it permanent, may decide to foreclose if you file BK, or even if you do not.

Tough situation, and sorry you cannot find answers. It may turn out that the only way to get an answer is by filing. Then, it might not be the answer you would like.
                      Thanks for the insight. I just can not risk filing ch7 and losing my home. Ch13 is not an option either. I am starting to think that I may just take one creditor at a time and work on PFD's. Our debt is about 40k consumer debt with a few medical bills. I have read that many creditors are settling for 20% of the balance due so if I can get this taken care of for 8k then that is what I will have to do.
                      -Discharge 7/28/2010

Comment

Originally posted by MSbklawyer View Post
                        Well why would they be interested in meeting with you? I'm not trying to be harsh, but if you make it known in advance that all you want to do is pick their brain so that you can get enough information from them about how to file your pro se case, what's the potential upside for them?

Of course I didn't tell them I plan to file pro se. I actually may just hire an attorney if I find one that I actually trust and that seems to know what they are talking about.
                        I am not trying to be harsh either but did you read the entire thread?
                        -Discharge 7/28/2010

Comment

I am not trying to be harsh either but did you read the entire thread?
                          Apparently not.
                          Pay no attention to anything I post. I graduated last in my class from a fly-by-night law school that no longer exists; I never studied or went to class; and I only post on internet forums when I'm too drunk to crawl away from the computer.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X