Questions about divorce and bankruptcy.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions about divorce and bankruptcy.

I live in Texas and was married for 4 years and recently divorced from my wife. I have about $40,000 in CC debt and $82,000 in Student loans ($20,000 of which I am a cosigner for my ex). My total CC payments equal about $1600 per month and Student Loans about $750 per month. The divorce between my wife and was very easy and we agreed on almost everything. She got custody of our son, I pay $1000 per month in child support, but can see him anytime I want. I make about $50k per year and hence struggle with these bills. All of the debt (except one joint student loan) was in my name only!
    I have a few questions about divorce and bankruptcy.

1. Will CC companies be able to go after my ex wife for the balances after I file Chapter 7. I don't want to cause her problems with her credit (she is the mother of son).

2. What is the likely hood of student loans being included in my Chapter 7? My means test showed -$575 without including the student loan payments. Everything I have read only showed student loans being discharged because of becoming disabled. Any info on this would be great.

3.Any recomendations of websites to read about the complete process of BK.

Thanks to all!

Welcome to the forum. If all the cc is in your name only - they are your responsibility and I don't believe they can go after your exwife. Unfortunately, I think you will be left with the student loan debt - very rarely is this discharged. When you are on the forum main page, their is a sticky that outlines a lot of information on the process of BK and the most commonly used terms. There is also a lot of information in the other stickies and posts. Good luck to you!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X