Trying to make some changes for 2010!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying to make some changes for 2010!

Our 341 was on Friday and I was reviewing some things I printed out from the post filing debt counseling class. Most appealing to me was the part about goals. For 2010, I want to get moving on the following:
    1) Start an emergency fund
    2) Save for a house. My goal is to buy a house in 3-5 years.
    3) Send in extra every month towards car payment

However, in order to make the above happen, we would really need to increase our income. My husband just changed jobs and is now salaried so there is really no opportunity for overtime for him. He will, after a 90 day probationary period, be eligible to pick up shifts when the company needs him. But that's not a regular thing. I wanted to get a part time job working 2-3 nights a week at the Walmart or UPS or something. I figured even if I only worked 25 hours a week, that would be enough to send in triple our car payment every month!

My question is: How long do you have to wait before you get a job? I read somewhere that you should wait until you are discharged. I think it's weird that they make you wait 2-3 months to start implementing the changes they were suggesting in that course! I honestly did not even entertain the idea of re-entering the work force until I took that online course and started to write down our goals and budget. Now it just seems prudent to have something to fall back on.

Unless you start a job making many times more then the income you were making there is little reason to worry about getting a job. Just because you filed BK does not mean you have to stay bankrupt. Start your life having learned a few things.

If you have had your 341 hearing then there is not going to be much more oversight in your case. The paperwork you have put in is what they have to work with.
    3/2/09- Filed: chapter 7 / No asset
    4/1/09- 341 Hearing: 1 creditor showed up Got to love family feuds
    4/2/09- Trustee Report of No Distribution Filed
    6/24/09- Discharged and case closed

Comment

I am currently not working and the job I would be getting would be only 2-3 night shifts at the 24 hour supermarket or Walmart. Not huge money but it would be enough that I can bank several hundred a month in anticipation of both our children attending preschool in September. Currently, we pay $60/month for one child to attend for 1 morning a week. In september, I will have 2 children attending for 2 mornings a week and that's going to cost $360! Our budget is so skinny for 2010 and by September 2010, it's negative again. I don't want to be in this same situation 12 months down the road!

We just had our 341 and the trustee announced to everyone that she is requesting tax returns from everyone. I was afraid that if I started a job now, it would raise a red flag when she saw our tax return. I suppose I could just wait 4 weeks and start working in January, making the tax return issue moot. Just wondering.

Comment

This may sound a bit retro but have you considered getting a paper delivery route? They generally only take a couple hours a night and you are an independent contractor rather than an employee. Either you or your husband could throw the route or even both some mornings. Many times over my lifetime I've had a route which has helped get me by. While every route is different I've had routes that compensated me $1500 - $2000 a month for 4 hours work each day. Granted the disadvantage? Seven days a week.

Comment

Filing BK eliminates the debt but it does not assist with or help/solve your income or employment or any cash flow problems one has after discharge. That is all up to the filers and many find out that they need to put budgets in place or else they start falling back into the credit trap and end up filing again in several years. You are wise to be prudent and worry about your situatioin. BK is a life event and most people learn from it and make the necessary changes in their lives, which you are planning to do. Check with your attorney when you will be able to make any employment or financial moves and then you are on your own to make it work. Best of luck to you!

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

Thanks, Flamingo! It's nice to hear that you are doing SOMETHING right! Filing for BK can really take it's toll on your self confidence!

Bell - It's so weird that you mention a paper route because I just saw a listing 2 days ago on Craigslist for a delivery person and it got me thinking about it! That particular job was too far. But, I looked at the major paper here and don't see a listing for delivery person in their HR section. Do you have any tips for finding one of these jobs? I wouldn't even hope for $1500-2000 a month. If I made $800 a month, we would be safely in the black and be able to bank a little for an emergency fund! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X