top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I hope somebody can answer my question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hope somebody can answer my question...

First, I've got to tell you a little about me. I'm a college student soon to graduate next year. I live with my mother(just my mother), and I don't work at the moment. After she maxed her credit card and unable to pay the bill, she was forced to file for chapter 7. Her court day is Tuesday, December 8, 2009. I would so desperately like to get a job so I can be more supportive financially. I was told by her attorneys that it might be a good date to hold off finding employment until after her court date. As being, the more income could affect the whole process. Then later my mother tells me, its actually 2-3 months after that, would be wise to hold. So this, which is making me confused. I am a full-time college student and would like to get a 3rd shift full time job(this I know may be hard, but so is life I'll just deal with it). Any information will be helpful thanks

Originally posted by curiosity View Post
    I was told by her attorneys that it might be a good date to hold off finding employment until after her court date. As being, the more income could affect the whole process. Then later my mother tells me, its actually 2-3 months after that, would be wise to hold. So this, which is making me confused.
    The reason you are being asked to hold off until after your mother files is because some or all of your new income that goes towards supporting the household can be counted toward her income total. If she is close to the median income for your state, that could make it impossible for her to file Ch 7.

It's admirable that you want to help your mom. Right now the best help you can be is to hold off getting an income before she files and has her 341 meeting. After that, you can get the job to help out. Thanks for caring so much about your mom!
    I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
    06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
    07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
    10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
    01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
    09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
    06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
    08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
    Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

lrprn is correct - listen to what your mother's attorney advised you.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

i think her attorney is probably being overly cautious. it's probably safer to wait for her discharge, but your income post filing is not supposed to count in her means test. and certainly your income post her 341 hearing shouldn't count. but if you wnat to be completely safe, then just wait. a couple of months is nothing in the large scheme of things.
        filed ch7 May 09
        341 june 09
        discharged, closed Aug 09

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X