Is it Ok?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it Ok?

Is it ok to call our Lawyer everytime we have a question? I didnt know if that would be inluded in the $2000 fee, or it would be extra.

We call or email our lawyer with ANY and ALL questions we have and so far he's been great!

Comment

Well, you should review the fee agreement.

Generally it is ok, but to be efficient and practical, you should probably wait with your questions until you have some sort of case finalization meeting. I assume at some point, you will meet with your lawyer when the documents are ready, and then you should have your list of questions ready.

If something has happened, or if an answer to a question will depend on what you do in the coming days, ask those, but if the questions you have are simply "what if" questions, or minor clarifications, I would suggest holding off until you have your next meeting.

Comment

Originally posted by thomas12t View Post
        Is it ok to call our Lawyer everytime we have a question? I didnt know if that would be inluded in the $2000 fee, or it would be extra.
        I wouldn't say to call your lawyer about any and all questions. There are many questions that can easily be answered on this forum or from research on your own.
        You don't want to pester your lawyer too much so that they ignore your calls - and then you have something really important to ask..

Remember that lawyers have a lot of other clients too- so be respectful of their time.

They are there to help you through the process, but usually don't have the time to go over every question that may possibly arise.

I recommend looking on this forum or asking your questions here first. If it's something that must be answered by an attorney- people here will tell you that
        Filed Pro Se: 10/16/2009
        341 Scheduled: 11/23/2009
        Last Day for Objections: 1/22/2010
        Discharged: 1/28/2010

Comment

Does your attorney have a paralegal at his\her office? They're a great source for information if your attorney isn't available to answer your questions.
          Stopped Payings CC's: 8/14/2009 | Retained Attorney: 9/23/2009 | Filed CH 7: 12/7/2009 | 341 Meeting: 1/21/2010 - Complete | Discharged: 4/9/2010
          "One person pretends to be rich, yet has nothing; another pretends to be poor, yet has great wealth."

Comment

i would gather a few questions together before asking the lawyer, unless the questions are very time sensitive. but yes, it generally is included in the fee. it is expected that you will have questions and answering them is part of the legal advice that the lawyer is supposed to give you.
            filed ch7 May 09
            341 june 09
            discharged, closed Aug 09

Comment

Thanks everyone, the big questions I ave right now are about the set of papers I have to filll out. I dont know half of the meanings of half the words on them.

Comment

Originally posted by thomas12t View Post
                Thanks everyone, the big questions I ave right now are about the set of papers I have to filll out. I dont know half of the meanings of half the words on them.
                that they attorney or one of their staff should be helping you with for sure.. call them.
                Filed Pro Se: 10/16/2009
                341 Scheduled: 11/23/2009
                Last Day for Objections: 1/22/2010
                Discharged: 1/28/2010

Comment

Our lawyer gave us unlimited question asking. Basically the only thing he asked was to gather up the questions once a day and send them to him via email.

He always responds within 24 hours.
                  All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
                  Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

Our lawyers paralegal was able to answer all our questions! We just emailed her and she would reply within the same day. She was great, and we had alot of questions!
                    Filed C7 9-14-09
                    341 Meeting 10-26-09
                    Last day for Objections 12-28-09
                    Discharged 1-4-10

Comment

I know when we filed, we were only allowed a certain number of times to call...and we had to call their main office in Illinois (we live in WI) on certain days and during certain times...(Ch. 7 was on MWF between 8AM-noon--that kind of thing)

I know our lawyer said we could email her unlimited, but she never answered when we tried it, so we stopped emailing her. It was frustrating because we had alot of questions and felt we were going blindly.
                      Filed Chapter 7: 3-22-08
                      341 Meeting: 5-15-08 It went great!!!
                      Last day for objections: 7-14-08
                      Discharged and Closed: 7-21-08

Comment

We call our attorney or e-mail with any and all questions. The paralegal usually answers us and if she doesnt know the answer she will get the attorney to talk to us. We paid far less than what you are paying. She always encourages us to call back if we have anymore questions.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X