Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multiple choice... Please help

Is this a trick question or what?

Question: The Bankruptcy Court has exclusive jurisdicion to adjudicate and decide District Courts. But the question asks about bankruptcy courts. So is choice "A" still correct? or is it choice "C" which is a core proceeding?

The rights of the Bankruptcy Court actually come from Parv IV of Title 28 and not Title 11... unless that's what you meant by 1334 (28 USC 1334).

Are you taking some sort of test?
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Are you sure?

I ran across this practice question and I'm confused. Can you elaborate?

Why do you think the answer is "none of the above"?

Comment

Originally posted by aarjang View Post
        I ran across this practice question and I'm confused. Can you elaborate?

Why do you think the answer is "none of the above"?
        I was just kidding with the "none of the above". If you read 28 USC 1334, the answer is just as plain as day in 1334(a), even though (b) removes some of the exclusivity of (a), I think it only refers to civil cases (non-bankrupt) that may arise from Title 11 cases.

For example, say a person files a case under Title 11, but the UST, creditor, and/or Court find some civil matter intertwined. The case would still be original for the U.S. District court, but exclusivity may be impaired. This may be where the State court may be a more appropriate venue for the pursuit of the civil matter.
        Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

so what's the answer?

(C) is correct?

Comment

Don't know... it's a poorly written question.

Anyhow I think it's D, none of the above. The Bankruptcy Court doesn't have such jurisdiction. It's the District Court that has the jurisdiction. The District Court confers upon the Bankruptcy Court matters related to Title 11.
            Last edited by justbroke; 12-06-2009, 06:24 PM.

Comment

I agree

I think I'll just skip this one.

Comment

No, put D. The reason is that the Bankruptcy Court is not mentioned in Title 28.

Or, maybe that makes C more applicable.

Comment

lol

I hate this question... you think the answer is (c) or (d)? I was thinking it's C because a bankruptcy court would naturally have exclusive jurisdiction over a core proceeding, i.e. determining whether a debt is dischargeable.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X