Authroized User on Mom's Credit Card?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Authroized User on Mom's Credit Card?

My husband is an authorized user on his mom's credit card.. which he says shows as available credit for him, but there is no balance on the card. We REALLY don't want to get his mom involved in this. Is there anyway to avoid listing this since it isn't a debt??
    Filed Ch.7 on 03/17
    Statement of Presumed abuse filed 707(b) 05/03
    Statement of Non-Abuse filed!!
    Discharged 06/23/10

Originally posted by kailansmom04 View Post
    My husband is an authorized user on his mom's credit card.. which he says shows as available credit for him, but there is no balance on the card. We REALLY don't want to get his mom involved in this. Is there anyway to avoid listing this since it isn't a debt??
    Since your husband is an authorized user, I do not think there is a need to list this debt on your matrix. His mom is the primary card holder of this card and is responsible for the debt, not his. I had a credit card in which my ex was an authorized user and I was responsible for the debt, not my ex. Good luck!
    Chapter 13 filer since Feb. 2018 under a 60 months payment plan
    Please think positive and do not give up!

Comment

forumreader is right. also, if the balance is zero then this credit card is not a creditor.

i had probably 20 cards with zero balances. my lawyer only wanted to hear about the ones with balances. the others did not make it to the petition.

to be safe, you might want to have your hubby take his name off his mother's card - you never know what kind of idiotic mistake some computer will make.
      filed ch7 May 09
      341 june 09
      discharged, closed Aug 09

Comment

Your mother needs to remove him, it could possibly affect her even if not put in the schedules... She can add him back after the filing if she wants. It takes a quick phone call.
        7-2-2009 Filed
        8-28-09 341 Concluded, no assets
        10-28-09 DISCHARGED/CLOSED!!!!

Comment

Yeah.. I was kind of worried we'd need to have him removed. I feel like a child b/c we do NOT want to involve her at all... and to admit to her that we are trying to file bankruptcy.. we'll never hear the end of it.

Thank you all for the info!
          Filed Ch.7 on 03/17
          Discharged 06/23/10

Comment

can you try calling the cc directly to ask to remove him? it's worth a shot; they might not need her authorization to remove an authorized user (though of course they needed it to add one).
            filed ch7 May 09
            341 june 09
            discharged, closed Aug 09

Comment

Good idea! I'll try that.
              Filed Ch.7 on 03/17
              Discharged 06/23/10

Comment

Hi!
                I was an authorized user on my husbands accounts.this is what I did.I called and asked to be removed.they did it.......then I pulled my credit report and on every account showing me as "authorized used" I disputed it...and asked to have it removed.......it took them like maybe 3 days and now my credit report only reflects the cards that i have in my name. By disputing it was so simple.....you just click the account and it takes you to an area where you can asked to be removed.......the are I used was "am not the owner of this account" ONE CLICK.............and within a few days they notify you thats its been deleted ..and about 30 days later it reflects on your credit report
                BTW....when i called the CC companies the first thign I said was...........I know this account is in my husbands name and I understand the Privacy Act........But I am an authorized used and wish to be removed" MAKE SURE YOU MAKE IT CLEAR YOU ARE NOT CALLING FOR INFORMATION ON THE OWNERS ACCOUNT....

Comment

Originally posted by MakinMeCrazy View Post
                  Hi!
                  I was an authorized user on my husbands accounts.this is what I did.I called and asked to be removed.they did it.......then I pulled my credit report and on every account showing me as "authorized used" I disputed it...and asked to have it removed.......it took them like maybe 3 days and now my credit report only reflects the cards that i have in my name. By disputing it was so simple.....you just click the account and it takes you to an area where you can asked to be removed.......the are I used was "am not the owner of this account" ONE CLICK.............and within a few days they notify you thats its been deleted ..and about 30 days later it reflects on your credit report
                  BTW....when i called the CC companies the first thign I said was...........I know this account is in my husbands name and I understand the Privacy Act........But I am an authorized used and wish to be removed" MAKE SURE YOU MAKE IT CLEAR YOU ARE NOT CALLING FOR INFORMATION ON THE OWNERS ACCOUNT....
                  Great idea and info!! THANK YOU!! He's going to call today and then we'll go ahead and dispute the account like you said.
                  Filed Ch.7 on 03/17
                  Discharged 06/23/10

Comment

I was in the same position as Makinmecrazy, and found her posts through the search feature. Thanks to her advice, I called the creditors direct, although DH was here at the time. Most of the creditors removed me at my request, but Chase needed to talk to DH first. Be prepared, if the creditor sends a letter out it will go to your MIL.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X