What happens after you file an answer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What happens after you file an answer?

In September my husband was served a summons by Best Buy. I did research and posted questions here and did file an answer as required. We are going to file bankruptcy in January. We have not heard anything from the lawyer since they mailed us a letter asking us to pay 2000 and change per month for 3 months to stop the lawsuit.

I thought after I filed an answer we would get issued a court date? It has been 40 days and nothing. Nothing was updated online either which I am grateful for. I am just wondering because I would rather expect something then just have it come out of the blue at us. I am hoping that we will make it to the bankruptcy with out having to deal with this anymore. We have 2 appointments coming up to meet 2 different lawyers. I was surprised when calling around that some are scheduling appointsment into January already. I think I should have started calling last month.

it's good you have heard nothing from the court about a court date. usually you would get at least 20 days notice, and then you could often ask to postpone. i think you would be able to get to bk before they get a judgment. when are your appointments with lawyers? i would start putting together documentation now. ask the lawyers, but usually after your first appointment they would give you a list of documents you need to get together for them. if you do that now, you will save time later. so start a folder, organized, put into it everything you can think of: last year's tax returns, bank statements going back a year, credit card statements, statements and lawsuits from any other creditors, a few month's paystubs, any liens you know about, any info on your home or car if you have any. then you'll be well on your way.

having said that, i always found it strange, but my lawyer never asked for any documentation other than creditor statements. i guess it would depend on your case.

also when you put everything together you will run into questions, and those would be good ones to ask in your appt.
    filed ch7 May 09
    341 june 09
    discharged, closed Aug 09

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X