Hard Credit Pull after discharge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hard Credit Pull after discharge

I keep reading that it is illegal for a creditor who was included in a chap 7 to do a hard pull on credit after discharge. Is this true?

I am trying to do a mod on a mortgage that I did not reaffirm. I saw they did a hard pull. Never asked my permission. Since I am trying for a mod, I am assuming it is ok -BUT - if I don't get a mod and can sue and get some money from them, then that would be ok too

Usually when you apply for a mod. That gives them permission to check your credit , did you apply over the phone?
    Filed Chapter 7 September 25, 2009
    341 November 2, 2009
    Final Day for Objections 1-1-10 (Happy New Year!)
    Discharged 1-4-10

Comment

Since you are technically applying for credit with them I think that's enough to be permissible. I am having the same problem with a discharged CU that pulled a hard the other day...they had NO permissible purpose...trying to figure out my approach.
      7-2-2009 Filed
      8-28-09 341 Concluded, no assets
      10-28-09 DISCHARGED/CLOSED!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by mami2four View Post
        Usually when you apply for a mod. That gives them permission to check your credit , did you apply over the phone?
        That was my thought too. I figured I would post it and see if it raised any red flags with anyone.

Thanks all!

Comment

Originally posted by whipster1 View Post
          Since you are technically applying for credit with them I think that's enough to be permissible. I am having the same problem with a discharged CU that pulled a hard the other day...they had NO permissible purpose...trying to figure out my approach.
          I don't remember if it is in the FCRA or another statute (about permissable purpose), but a good link to start searching is here with the FTC http://www.ftc.gov/os/statutes/fcrajump.shtm
          Filed CH 7 9/30/2008
          Discharged Jan 5, 2009! Closed Jan 18, 2009

I am not an attorney. None of my advice is legal advice in any way..

Comment

Applying for a loan re-modification is essentially applying for credit. If you apply for credit with a creditor, they can check your credit reports. The pull you saw is a permissible purpose pull and is not covered by the automatic stay.
            You can't take a picture of this. It's already gone. ~~Nate, Six Feet Under

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X