New here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New here

I'm glad I found this forum. I felt I was alone in all of this. I've lost my job and spent many days stressed about how will I pay my credit cards I finally decided to file BK chapter 7. I guess I'm afraid of the unknown with the BK. I'm so glad to have found all of you I told a couple of my friends about going to file BK and now they won't give me the time of day They tried to tell me no one will hire me after a BK, my insurance will skyrocket, etc. I'm so very glad I found this forum. I feel better after reading alot of posts here
    because I know I'm not alone now Thanx
    Last edited by broke20; 12-07-2009, 07:13 PM. Reason: misplaced letters

Welcome to the forum.
    Stopped Payings CC's: 8/14/2009 | Retained Attorney: 9/23/2009 | Filed CH 7: 12/7/2009 | 341 Meeting: 1/21/2010 - Complete | Discharged: 4/9/2010
    "One person pretends to be rich, yet has nothing; another pretends to be poor, yet has great wealth."

Comment

Thanx. I tell all of you this forum has been a life saver.

Comment

I am new here too, I agree this forum is great!
        Don't stress too much about what your friends think... True friends will stick by you through thick and thin.

You are not the only one facing BK in today's world. What matters is what is best for YOU. For me, it was a huge relief just to start the process by retaining an attorney. I know we'll come out on top, and so will you.

Best of luck to you!
        Retained attorney 10/4/09, Chapter 7 filed 12/30/09
        341 meeting 2/2/10
        Trustee report of no distribution filed 2/4/10
        Discharged 4/8/10

Comment

Welcome! I'm sort of new too - I've decided not to tell very many people in my circle of friends about my plans to file Chapter 7. I think it's my business, and there is no way they need to know about it unless I choose to tell. Especially when "friends" decide to say things like yours did to you! Sheesh! Talk about adding stress to an already stressful situation.

I too am unemployed, but I think so many people are going through rough times right now, it might not be as difficult to find a job due to BK than we think.

There is so much good information on this site - it's becoming as addicting as Facebook for me... lol!

Best of luck to you!
          11/09 - Ran out of money - 1/4/10 - Filed Chapter 7 (Pro-Se) - 2/16/10 - 341 Meeting -6/17/10 - Reaffirmation hearing (auto) - DISCHARGED 7/6/10m CLOSED 7/26/10

Comment

Thanx so much

LOL I"ve heard of Facebook. I know my " friends" tried to make feel like a bum and you guys make me feel so much better You have made me realize that I can have a better life after BK Best of luck to all of you !
            Last edited by broke20; 12-07-2009, 07:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by HGolightly View Post
              Welcome! I'm sort of new too - I've decided not to tell very many people in my circle of friends about my plans to file Chapter 7. I think it's my business, and there is no way they need to know about it unless I choose to tell. Especially when "friends" decide to say things like yours did to you! Sheesh! Talk about adding stress to an already stressful situation.

I too am unemployed, but I think so many people are going through rough times right now, it might not be as difficult to find a job due to BK than we think.

There is so much good information on this site - it's becoming as addicting as Facebook for me... lol!

Best of luck to you!
              I couldn't agree with you more! We chose not to tell anyone that we are planning to file bankruptcy because of it being OUR business. I don't need anyone judging me just because we hit a very difficult financial hardship in our life. No matter how much they (friends and family) say they understand until they walk in your shoes they simply cannot know what it is like and for me I don't need their pity or approval! It's my life and I will handle my financial affairs privately!!!!
              08-2009:Quit Paying Credit Cards
              04-2010:Hired 2nd Attorney;05-2010:Filed 7
              06-2010:341 Meeting (went very well)
              08-24-2010: Discharged; 09-02-2010 Closed!!

Comment

I have taken a different tact. I tell EVERYONE who will listen that I am filing. At least 60%, once they are past the initial social shock and stigma, have confided that they, too, are in dire straits.

It is not the BK that is the issue. It is the PERCEPTION of BK. Most of the country is in trouble, but no one talks about it. It is a hidden secret, locked away in private.

Revealing the truth, for me, has been liberating. Now, I am a hero among friends and family, and a giant portion of them are watching our case closely, as they decide whether to file as well

Gooc luck, there is no wrong or right, but our method is working for us.
                11-20-09-- Filed Chapter 7
                12-23-09-- 341 Meeting-Early Christmas Gift?
                3-9-10--Discharged

Comment

Originally posted by DeadManCrawling View Post
                  I have taken a different tact. I tell EVERYONE who will listen that I am filing. At least 60%, once they are past the initial social shock and stigma, have confided that they, too, are in dire straits.

It is not the BK that is the issue. It is the PERCEPTION of BK. Most of the country is in trouble, but no one talks about it. It is a hidden secret, locked away in private.

Revealing the truth, for me, has been liberating. Now, I am a hero among friends and family, and a giant portion of them are watching our case closely, as they decide whether to file as well

I couldn't agree more about telling friends or family. Two of my friends told me their BK story and it's one of the reasons we decided to file. We look at this as a business decision.
                  Stopped Payings CC's: 8/14/2009 | Retained Attorney: 9/23/2009 | Filed CH 7: 12/7/2009 | 341 Meeting: 1/21/2010 - Complete | Discharged: 4/9/2010
                  "One person pretends to be rich, yet has nothing; another pretends to be poor, yet has great wealth."

Comment

I agree with that

Comment

When I started telling people, I was surprised at how many other people I knew had already filed at some time in their life.

Under Federal law, employers aren't meant to discriminate against you just because you have a bankruptcy. (I think they might be allowed to take it into account along with other factors though.)

Comment

Originally posted by LimpDisc View Post
                        I couldn't agree more about telling friends or family. Two of my friends told me their BK story and it's one of the reasons we decided to file. We look at this as a business decision.
                        Let me "third" this approach. We openly discuss our filing with anyone that cares to know. Most of my friends know I was unemployed for almost 2 years. Most are amazed we were able to stay current on our bills as long as we did.

None of my friends or family have been judgmental or condescending, in fact, most have tried to give us money or food or buy us dinner, etc. I've resisted taking any money, but figured I had to swallow my pride and let them take us out from time to time, seems to make them feel good. Fact is I'd be doing the same if positions were reversed.
                        Case Closed > 2/08/2010

Comment

Originally posted by DeadManCrawling View Post

You are so right.. It is the perception of BK. Good luck to you

Comment

We're not hiding from it. We're not ashamed of it. We are sad that we are forced to do this, but everyone in the know is very supportive.

This is the correct business decision for my family.
                            All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
                            Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

There's nothing to be ashamed of. If they're your real friends, they will stick by you. If not, who cares! We never thought we would ever file BK. However, we are in unprecedented times with the economy the way it is. At first I was embarrassed to let people know we filed. However, it was the best decision for me and my family. My only regret is not filing sooner....

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X