Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Claiming tuition for unemployed spouse?

yet another question...

can my husband claim my tuition and books as an expense since I have no income and he pays for it? It averages out to about $100/month.
    Filed Ch.7 on 03/17
    Statement of Presumed abuse filed 707(b) 05/03
    Statement of Non-Abuse filed!!
    Discharged 06/23/10

Are you filing together? We claimed my tuition/books (I am unemployed), but we filed together.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsJustMe View Post
      Are you filing together? We claimed my tuition/books (I am unemployed), but we filed together.
      Oops.. sorry.. forgot to mention that. We are not filing together as of now. I filed BK in 2002, but can't remember when it was closed. If it has been 8 yrs, then I may go ahead and file again. I only owe on a few things, so I don't really know if it's even worth it for me to file.
      Filed Ch.7 on 03/17
      Discharged 06/23/10

Comment

i believe you can only claim it for dependents (children). I would check with a local attorney first..

Originally posted by kailansmom04 View Post
        yet another question...

can my husband claim my tuition and books as an expense since I have no income and he pays for it? It averages out to about $100/month.
        Filed Pro Se: 10/16/2009
        341 Scheduled: 11/23/2009
        Last Day for Objections: 1/22/2010
        Discharged: 1/28/2010

Comment

You can "claim" anything, the real question is whether the trustee and court will accept it.

First, do you even need the tuition expense to satisfy whatever requirement you are trying to achieve (i.e. means test and schedule I&J). If the tuition is the only expense that puts you over, meaning satisfies the means test and without which you would be a chapter 13, then the trustee will object. If you don't need it, meaning, you would still show no disposable income, then don't worry about it.

Comment

Got it... thank you all We don't need it for me to pass the means test. The only thing I am worried about with regards to income is a bonus he received in June.
            Filed Ch.7 on 03/17
            Discharged 06/23/10

Comment

Originally posted by kailansmom04 View Post
              Got it... thank you all We don't need it for me to pass the means test. The only thing I am worried about with regards to income is a bonus he received in June.
              You won't have to worry about the bonus if you file in 2010 rather than this month. The income is counted for the 6 full months prior to the filing date.
              Filed CH 7 9/30/2008
              Discharged Jan 5, 2009! Closed Jan 18, 2009

I am not an attorney. None of my advice is legal advice in any way..

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X