Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please note this post is NOT about pre-filing courses

Originally posted by lrprn View Post
    See my response to you at http://www.bkforum.com/showthread.ph...745#post107745. I've only mentioned PRE-FILING certificates. You're talking about POST-FILING, PRE-DISCHARGE certificates. You're comparing apples and oranges here.
    I know you are talking about PRE-filing only in your posts.

My point is that editing someone's post about a site offering POST-filing classes to tell everyone that the site listed is not approved to offer PRE-filing classes is misleading and confusing.

The title of this thread is Debtor Education (which is what the USDOJ calls the POST-filing class)

Anyway, in regard to the POST-FILING DEBTOR EDUCATION CLASS (pre-discharge) The following are some cheap online classes:

www.a1education.net - $15.95
    www.advantageclass.com - $17.50
    http://www.personalfinanceeducation.com - $25.00

They seem to all work the same - pretty much how you would expect an online course to work. You log in, take the class, and they email you a pdf of your certificate (or they will mail or fax it to you). Most of them will send a copy to your lawyer (I know A1 Education does, but I bet the other two about do as well.)

If you find one with really good content or a cheaper one. Post about it here.

Comment

Originally posted by monkey hands View Post
      My point is that editing someone's post about a site offering POST-filing classes to tell everyone that the site listed is not approved to offer PRE-filing classes is misleading and confusing.
      MonkeyHands, this is forum post #4 for you. It's post #3,470 for me. You've been here a few days. I've been here reading nearly every single post by thousands of members for 18 months. Who do you think knows more about how our members react to these kinds of posts, especially when there's so much confusion about how these courses are named between agencies? (Hint - it isn't you.)

And many thanks for posting the less expensive POST-FILING required debtor education aka financial management classes - our members will appreciate that.
      Last edited by lrprn; 09-10-2007, 07:30 PM.
      I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
      06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
      07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
      10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
      01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
      09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
      06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
      08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
      Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

I just finished the Credit Counseling (Before Filing) class from CFEFA (www.cfefa.org)

It took maybe 15 minutes... you fill out a couple of forms, put in your income and current spending, throw in some creditors, balances & monthly payments. You then have to upload scans (or snail mail them copies) of your Drivers License, SS Card and your last couple of pay stubs. They say they need these to verify the information you provided them with... and thats about it really...

It was $35 for both my wife and I.

They only offer the Personal Finance Management Class (Post Filing) for the State of Alabama... that class through them is $15
        (X) - Filed Chap 7 - 11.14.2007
        (X) - Free and Clear - 2.22.2008
        PreBK Scores - 467/428/434 (11/22/2007)
        PostBK Scores - 571/604/583 (3/15/2008) - Rebuilding Begins!

Comment

Does any of these companys mail the Certificate. i dont have printer and i need it fast to get it to the courts.
          Filed ch7 8/14/07
          341 meeting 9/18/07
          DISCHARGED 11/20/07

Comment

Originally posted by NOMOREBADCREDIT View Post
            Does any of these companys mail the Certificate. i dont have printer and i need it fast to get it to the courts.
            All of the credit counseling and debt management agencies will "snail mail" certificates but it's going to take time - at least a week.

If you need the certificate faster than that, then if you have an email account (and I assume you do since you post here), tell the agency to email you an electronic copy of your certificate. Visit a friend or family member with online access and a printer, or call the public library or local Internet 'hot spots' and find one with public-access computers and printers. Go there and log into your online email account.

Once you're in your email account, you can forward the email with the certificate attached directly to your lawyer's email address so he/she can print it out in the office. If your lawyer is in the stone age and doesn't do email, or if you are flinig pro se, open the certificate, then print it using the friend/family member/public-access printer. It might cost you a few cents to do that if you use the library or 'hot spot', but you'll have the printed copy in hand that way.
            Last edited by lrprn; 10-21-2007, 12:53 PM.
            I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
            06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
            07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
            10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
            01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
            09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
            06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
            08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
            Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

Originally posted by lrprn View Post
              All of the credit counseling and debt management agencies will "snail mail" certificates but it's going to take time - at least a week.

If you need the certificate faster than that, then if you have an email account (and I assume you do since you post here), tell the agency to email you an electronic copy of your certificate. Visit a friend or family member with online access and a printer, or call the public library or local Internet 'hot spots' and find one with public-access computers and printers. Go there and log into your online email account.

Once you're in your email account, you can forward the email with the certificate attached directly to your lawyer's email address so he/she can print it out in the office. If your lawyer is in the stone age and doesn't do email, or if you are flinig pro se, open the certificate, then print it using the friend/family member/public-access printer. It might cost you a few cents to do that if you use the library or 'hot spot', but you'll have the printed copy in hand that way.
              thanks.
              Filed ch7 8/14/07
              341 meeting 9/18/07
              DISCHARGED 11/20/07

Comment

www.freshstartonline.org is the one I used. Someone suggested it to me from Legal Assistance and believe me, they were worth it. If you are having financial problems, they may even waive the fee depending on your situation. Check it out.

Comment

They e-mailed it to me and I waited until I was at the job and opened the e-mail and printed it myself.

Comment

Ust Approved

Originally posted by Michelob View Post
                    Any idea on simple and FAST services? Obviously it looksl like doing it online is the way to go. Any favs? I have two in mind but I don't want to byas anyone's views. I might do one and my wife might do another if we dont' end up agreeing (that's probably how we got in this spot in the first place!) THen we'll post and let you know how it went.

MAKE SURE THE SERVICE IS APPROVED IN YOUR FILING JURISDICTION (BY THE UST - OR IT IS NO GOOD AND YOU MUST USE IT W/IN 6 MO). I DO NOT ADD SURCHARGES. OURS ARE $50 EACH AND OUR VENDORS ARE OPEN 24/7. THE PREPETITION IS IMMEDIATE OVER THE INTERNET. THE OTHER, WE ORDER YOU A BOOK AND A TEST. REMEMBER, THE SECOND ON MUST BE PASSED, AND FILED WITH THE CT W/IN 45 DAYS OF YOUR 1ST 341 (SCHEDUALED) MEETING.
                    Last edited by Bankruptcy Atty; 12-12-2007, 08:11 PM.

Comment

interesting - www.debtor-ed.com says they are approved for my state however this is not true. Definately cross check your state's bk website & the us trustee website, against any orgs that say they are approved in your state.
                      Filed Chapter 7 Pro-Se May 29, 2008
                      341 July 1, 2008
                      Discharged September 4, 2008
                      Closed November 10, 2008 :-)

Comment

I used www.startfreshtoday.com for both the pre- and post-certification courses. The total charge was $69 for both and they sent me pdf copies of the certificates by email within 24 hours (actually less than that) of completing the course. It was pretty painless.
                        Filed Ch. 7 1/25/08
                        341 Meeting 3/5/08
                        Declared No Asset 3/11/08
                        Objection deadline 5/5/08

Comment

I actually was given something similar to what you have posted here from the bankruptcy helpdesk in Illinois where I filed. They helped me so much that once I told them I was filing pro se and that I was going through the bankruptcy clerks office, I was given both classes free and not only that, but the bankruptcy clerks allowed me to pay the filing fee in installments. It was so easy and stress free that I could not believe it. To this date, I still can not believe that I am out from under all that financial stress. Somehow I keep wondering if this was all too good to be true and that somewhere in the future it will come back to haunt me.

Comment

Originally posted by jbr12 View Post
                            I just finished the Credit Counseling (Before Filing) class from CFEFA (www.cfefa.org)

It took maybe 15 minutes... you fill out a couple of forms, put in your income and current spending, throw in some creditors, balances & monthly payments. You then have to upload scans (or snail mail them copies) of your Drivers License, SS Card and your last couple of pay stubs. They say they need these to verify the information you provided them with... and thats about it really...

It was $35 for both my wife and I.

They only offer the Personal Finance Management Class (Post Filing) for the State of Alabama... that class through them is $15
                            I just took the pre-filing class through CFEFA and it was also $35 for both my wife and I. It LOOKS like it's valid in almost all states but it is worth checking before you try. (I checked the list for my district.)

You can check here: U.S. Department of Justice U.S. Trustee Program Approved Debtor Education Providers Link

The fee is the last thing they collect and the most painful part was providing copies of ID and paystubs. I was able to upload mine and they also accept faxes and copies by mail.

I think there's some confusion about the post-filing class. I've read carefully and it looks like you can watch a video on-line in all states where they're approved. Only Alabama residents can choose the option to attend a class or have a DVD mailed to them.

The post-filing on-line class is only $15 for a couple so it's very inexpensive. If I have any trouble using the class, or find out I'm wrong about the states it's valid in, I'll come back here and edit my message so there's no misleading information. Again, it looks like the only Alabama requirement is those who wish to receive a DVD in the mail.
                            Last edited by Keebler; 05-14-2008, 01:25 PM.
                            Discharged November 2008 100 days after filing no-asset Chapter 7. We intended to let a two-year-old vehicle go back to the bank and reaffirm an inexpensive ten-year-old SUV and our home mortgage. In the end we surrendered ALL of our vehicles and reaffirmed NOTHING. We'll "ride through" our mortgage after the court ruled it an undue hardship.

Comment

We used:
                              InCharge Education Foundation, Inc. www.inchargefoundation.org
                              Main Address:
                              2101 Park Center Drive
                              Suite 310
                              Orlando, FL 32835
                              866-729-0049

Delivery Method:

Internet/Telephone: www.personalfinanceeducation.com / 1-866-729-0049
                              English and Spanish

It cost us $30 for BOTH, which was pretty reasonable I thought - did it online.

Not sure about the 2nd course - any good thoughts/suggestions on this?
                              Filed Ch 7 -- July 9, 2008
                              341 mtg ---- August 14, 2008
                              Discharged ---- October 17, 2008
                              Closed --------- December 11, 2009!

Comment

I just took the www.cfefa.org post-filing class last night. It was $15 and I had to sit through a two and a half hour streaming video on my computer. Decent video but just your basic how to spend your spend money kind of thing and introductions about different types of loans and credit. The system required you to watch the WHOLE video and would give you a code every 30 minutes or so. You collect six codes and enter them after the video then they email you a pdf certificate. The video had to be watched in its entirety to get all the codes. No fast-forward, or re-wind.

I took the www.cfefa.org pre-filing course too and it was also not bad. I think it was $35. So I'm out $50 total for both course....not bad.
                                6/11/08 - Filed Ch. 7, Filed Pro Se, No-Assets
                                7/15/08 - 341 Meeting Held
                                10/01/08 - Discharged
                                10/08/08 - Case officially Closed!!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X