top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bankruptcy in Michigan after divorce......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bankruptcy in Michigan after divorce......

My divorce petition in Las Vegas was granted last Tuesday. I was from Michigan, married in Michigan and spent the last 9 years of it in Michigan. Up until 4 months ago I decided to separate from my husband and move to Vegas. My spouse will continue to reside in Michigan.

The divorce was a mutual decision. We didn't really have much assets to divide except for the car, house and furnishings which he already owned even before we got married. I did not raise any interest on those. He also have credit card debts under his name. None of it includes my name. This was explicitly identified in the divorce petition - we listed every single debt we owe to identify who is responsible for it.

I have gotten word that he is filing for bankruptcy. Can the credit card companies go after me or whatever little money I make?

Originally posted by singleagain View Post
    He also have credit card debts under his name. None of it includes my name. This was explicitly identified in the divorce petition - we listed every single debt we owe to identify who is responsible for it. I have gotten word that he is filing for bankruptcy. Can the credit card companies go after me or whatever little money I make?
    Divorce/collection issues aren't my strong point, but I noticed noone had picked up on this thread so I thought I'd bump it. Hopefully someone savvier on this will post a reply. Michigan isn't a community property state and the cards are all in his name. That has me thinking the creditors have no grounds to pursue you. Have you checked your credit report to be sure the accounts don't appear?

In the event that you are somehow on the hook, there may be recourse in the divorce settlement. If there is some sort of clause in your agreement indicating that he can't stiff you on the debt (right idea, wrong words), then he can't. If he declares bk and they come after you, you can sue him and you'd win.
    There are two secrets for success in life:
    1.) Never tell everything you know.

Comment

They would have to validate that the debt is yours... and it isn't. I know someone who, after a divorce, was contacted by card companies who harassed and harassed her trying to tell her SHE had to pay the bills that her ex husband wasn't paying. She never paid them. She refused. Do not even give them one red cent. you do NOT have an agreement with them, he does. As long as you were not on the account, you are not responsible.

I was divorced and remarried. My ex didn't pay on his bills. (about 2 years after our divorce) The credit card company called me. I told them that he and I have been divorced and that his personal financial matters are not my concern nor right to know. I asked them to remove my name from any contact list they have and to not call me again. They never called again.

There... that is two cases that I know of personally where the ex spouse who was married to someone who had their own personal CC and didn't pay. In neither instance was the 'ex' spouse made to pay.

I am not sure of the actual laws regarding this, but I am pretty certain that they do not collect debt from an ex spouse just because they were once married to a debtor.

Good luck
      My kids better not put my FICO score on my headstone~ (quote by dspii)

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X